Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249431 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #270 on: June 2, 2013, 11:46 PM »
And now you know why book readers have been waiting for this episode all season - the on screen adaptation of one of the most shocking scenes in the books and the reactions of non-book readers.  I got goosebumps when Rains of Castemere started playing, knowing full well what was coming.

Amen... I thought for sure that would be the season finale.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 3, 2013, 10:31 AM »
Sorry, but this twitter feed has me laughing out loud.  It is a collection of fan twitter reactions to the Red Wedding. 

NOTE:  Language is NOT appropriate for work/kids.

https://twitter.com/RedWeddingTears

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #272 on: June 3, 2013, 11:38 AM »
That twitter feed is great. 

Today has been awesome at work.  My office is filled with a ton of "I watch HBO but haven't read the books" people and they were all pissed/confused this morning.  Haven't seem them this upset since Eddard in S1.  Half of them were in total, "WTF!  I'm cancelling HBO" mode like many of those twitter posters. 

One dude in particular at work has been saying how excited he was to see Casterly Rock fall and has been bugging me to tell him how Tywin was going to react to seeing his house looted/sacked...  I just kept say, keep watching. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 3, 2013, 12:03 PM »
I just love how everyone is blaming HBO for this.  Umm, redirect your hate towards George R R Martin if you don't like it.  But come on, you had to see something bad was going to happen due to the breaking of honor... and who better to exploit that?

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 3, 2013, 01:05 PM »
Thank you for posting that Twitter feed Brent - it made my lunch-time reading fun!

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 3, 2013, 01:33 PM »
And video compliation of people (mostly chicks) losing their ****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78juOpTM3tE&feature=player_embedded
Common sense isn't so common

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #276 on: June 3, 2013, 02:39 PM »
I was impressed with the episode.  Every bit as horrible and gut-wrenching as the book.  More so when you throw in the pregnant wife.  My wife is gonna lose her **** when we watch it this afternoon.  Maybe I should film it..
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 3, 2013, 03:11 PM »
  Maybe I should film it..

Yes.

I was thinking this morning, that I really should convince my wife to watch the series.  I'd just watch her reaction to Eddard and the Red Wedding.  Its just not the same effect since I'm the only one at home that watches it (and I've read the books).

I do remember being visibly upset when I read that chapter of the book... I kept coming to the same thoughts "why do bad things keep happening to good people". 

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #278 on: June 3, 2013, 06:20 PM »
Lynda held it together fairly well.  Totally shocked.  Pissed off.  But no screaming or crying.  She's exactly where you're supposed to be after that happens.  Now she's asking if there's any reason to keep watching since all the "main" characters are dead.

Reflecting a bit... this really is the "I am your father" moment of the series.  Ned's death was huge.  But this death changes everything.  There's what you knew before it happened, and what you know after.  Years from now I think it'll be remembered on par with the greatest moments in TV.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 3, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Yeah I was more shocked than anything (haven't read the books). Just like when Ned died, I was basically thinking "Yeah they can't kill off the main character" and then BOOM. I was left thinking "holy cow they actually did that."
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 4, 2013, 08:17 AM »
Maybe after this episode people (the ones that stick around) will understand that no one is safe.  Perhaps GoT should borrow a phrase from an 80s movie to give this impression:  "There can be only one."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #281 on: June 4, 2013, 08:51 AM »
Walking Dead was acclaimed for its "nobody's safe" feel early on... but a few seasons in now it's clear who isn't going to die.  So now that tension isn't there anymore.  What GoT did was first kill off Rick, then kill off Carl and Lori.  Totally re-writes the rules.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 4, 2013, 10:13 AM »
Sorry, but this twitter feed has me laughing out loud.  It is a collection of fan twitter reactions to the Red Wedding. 

NOTE:  Language is NOT appropriate for work/kids.

https://twitter.com/RedWeddingTears

Just added that to my GoT Twitter list!  I wonder just how many "HOW DARE YOU" tweets they've got?  Because you know that SO MANY young girls had a thing for Robb Stark!

I actually haven't had a chance to watch the episode yet.  But having read the book series, I knew that the Red Wedding was looming large.  I'm hoping to watch it tonight (thank you, DVR!), but I'm still prepared to be shocked going into it.

It still leaves me wondering how they're going to wrap up the season.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #283 on: June 4, 2013, 11:50 AM »
My God was that brutal, I am with Mikey, when they started playing The Rains of Castamere I started getting a pit in my stomach.  My wife started crying when they started talking about naming the baby Eddard Stark.

I also guess that kills the theory of Jayne being alive and carrying a Stark heir in the books.

Makes the season finale all the more anti climactic though, they really should have ended it with Catelyn getting her throat cut fade to black.  Good analogy Bill on the "I am your Father" moment.  I just hope Martin can finish the books without having to wait for the last few seasons to play out.

I don't think there is official word yet (is there?) on Crows and Dragons but I can see splitting them up to at least 3 seasons.  With hopefully Winds of Winter out late this year/early next and probably being a two part season that gives him around 5-6 years to finish the series.

Also note, I am amazed at how many people haven't read the books.  They are so amazing and richer than the snapshots you get in the TV show.  I know they are intimidating due to their girth but they are much easier to read than Tolkien

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #284 on: June 4, 2013, 12:14 PM »
I know they are intimidating due to their girth...

That's what she said.

I'm hoping they spread books 4 and 5 across three seasons.  There's definitely too much content to squeeze into two, and the way the story is organized in the books lends itself well to juggling.

And hopefully book 6 is only a year or two away.  I know he said he writes his chapters out-of-order, and that most of the last two books were already written.