Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 250118 times)

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #600 on: May 10, 2016, 10:01 AM »
Who is the M?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 10, 2016, 10:34 AM »
I really hope that it wasn't Shaggydog.  The size of that wolf's head seems like the only possible clue that it might not have been that of a dire wolf.

I hope you're right that the Umbers and Osha are engaged in some plot to take down the Boltons.  I had to search back a bit, but it seems like it's possible that the Frey's may be holding GreatJon Umber hostage, and that he may have been taken captive at the Red Wedding.  Probably so that the Boltons might try to hold some sort of sway over the Umbers if they want to hold the North.  Rickon was probably added to the mix to sweeten the deal and make it more believable.  But it is definitely a very dangerous game to play when you're dealing with Ramsay Bolton.

I'm still left wondering if the Manderlys are going to factor in here.  And there was also the original plotline of Osha taking Rickon off to Skagos to hide, not among the Umbers at Last Hearth.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 10, 2016, 10:35 AM »
Who is the M?

That would be Meera Reed.  Her father was the only other survivor at the Tower of Joy.

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 10, 2016, 11:28 AM »
The Rickon thing may just be a plot device to create some more incentive for John Snow to go after Ramsey and/or go to Winterfell.

Its hard to tell if the Umbers may just be trying to gain favor with Ramsey or if there is a larger plot involved (Littlefinger?).  I'm not sure why the Umber's would try and set Ramsey up for some kind of assassination from Osha without some clear backing from John Snow or Littlefinger. 

Although I haven't read the books to understand if there are more historical relationships at play than I'm aware of, but the Umbers don't seem to be that proactive in playing the Game of Thrones.

Online Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #604 on: May 11, 2016, 12:27 AM »
Oh yeah - the little birds being street urchins was stupid, too.   :P

Perhaps you should go re-watch season one.  Varys has always used street urchins as his little birds.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 11, 2016, 09:02 AM »
That's a TV theory because the actors playing J and M look like they could be related.  They look nothing alike in the books, I'd be shocked if it were true.  I wholeheartedly agree with R+L=J though and it's practically confirmed now.

IMO, it's more than just the strong resemblance between the two actors. It's no coincidence that Howland Reed is the only other one besides Ned to survive the battle at the Tower of Joy. That puts him right there in position to help. And we know twins run in the Targaryen bloodline. And her character is about the right age and seems to be waiting in the wings for something to happen, always just offscreen but seemingly important.

Definitely could be wrong but seems pretty plausible to me.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 11, 2016, 12:41 PM »
That's a TV theory because the actors playing J and M look like they could be related.  They look nothing alike in the books, I'd be shocked if it were true.  I wholeheartedly agree with R+L=J though and it's practically confirmed now.

IMO, it's more than just the strong resemblance between the two actors. It's no coincidence that Howland Reed is the only other one besides Ned to survive the battle at the Tower of Joy. That puts him right there in position to help. And we know twins run in the Targaryen bloodline. And her character is about the right age and seems to be waiting in the wings for something to happen, always just offscreen but seemingly important.

Definitely could be wrong but seems pretty plausible to me.

Maybe, but I don't think so.  R+L=J has been a theory since GoT (the book) first came out as the clues were always there.  There's nothing IMO that suggest M is a part of it in the books.  Like I said, it's more a TV theory because of the likeness between the two actors and I really didn't see this theory grab a hold until the TV show came out.  Trust me, the hard core ASOIAF dorks would have figured it out long before the TV show became a reality.  Now, GMMR could add it in later, but I've read he isn't going to change something because the nerds figured it out.  I'd have to trust him on his word.

Now, I believe HR has a big part to play, either by directly saying R+L=J is true, or confirming it once someone else finds out.  How, I have no idea, but he's been mentioned too much to be a coincidence.

And the Targaryens aren't known for twins, they're known for marrying their siblings and having multiple marriages.  Off the top of my head, I don't recall any Targaryen twins, but granted, there's a **** load of them mentioned in the various works.  The only prominent twins are Cersi and Jaime (and Frey's castle, if you want to get technical).
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #607 on: May 11, 2016, 01:42 PM »
I'm guessing Reed will feature in the books but Bran will be the one to tell Jon in the show and I am with the theory that that isn't Rickon and Shaggydog is not dead.  My new dream death for Mr Bolton is to be eviscerated by the three direwolves...a fitting death with all of his dog ****

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 11, 2016, 02:24 PM »
Fair enough, but I think we are in uncharted waters here. One of two things is happening:

This season the show is spoiling a ton of stuff from the next book(s); OR

The show is diverging into some kind of alternate universe Thrones which differs significantly from the literary version.

Given all the changes we have seen to this point, I'm leaning towards #2. Point being, I'm not sure they are using it as a roadmap anymore and have the freedom to organically change things that maybe serve the Tv storylines differently from those in the book.

Or not. Writers are crazy!   :D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 11, 2016, 02:31 PM »
I know Martin has said that some of the favorites don't survive and some of those that we despise survive.  I really hope that Ramsay meets his.  I can't see someone as depraved as him not meeting a gruesome fate.  He's too unstable to consolidate the North around him and keep them loyal.  But... I forget the history, but weren't the Boltons a major house in the North until the Starks got tired of them flaying their enemies and took a lot of their power from them?

Tyron's another one that I hope doesn't die.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 11, 2016, 03:03 PM »
Fair enough, but I think we are in uncharted waters here. One of two things is happening:

This season the show is spoiling a ton of stuff from the next book(s); OR

The show is diverging into some kind of alternate universe Thrones which differs significantly from the literary version.

Given all the changes we have seen to this point, I'm leaning towards #2. Point being, I'm not sure they are using it as a roadmap anymore and have the freedom to organically change things that maybe serve the Tv storylines differently from those in the book.

Or not. Writers are crazy!   :D

I think it's a bit of both, actually.  The major events (Red Wedding, Battle of Castle Black, how the **** Dany finally ends up in Westoros, the final ending, etc.) will be very similar or exactly the same as the books.  It's the minor stuff using show characters instead of introducing new characters GRRM is found of (Jaime in Dorne, Sansa instead of fake Arya, etc.) that differs a bit.  Think of it like this - the TV show and book were for the most part the same for season 1.  Starting in season 2, the TV show went left at a fork in the road, the books went right, but ultimately both the TV show and books will end up back on the same road with the same ending.  They just took different ways to get there.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 11, 2016, 03:24 PM »
I think it's a bit of both, actually.

I tend to agree. 

And we're probably going to have to keep this thread open for another ten years to find out the answer considering the pace GRRM is on for publishing the last two books.  By that point most people will have lost interest and moved on anyhow.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 12, 2016, 11:01 AM »
It was nice to see GRRM release that new excerpt yesterday.  Although how that might tie into the show remains to be seen.

A couple of questions have popped up for me recently.  Such as?  Whatever became of Gendry?  Ned Stark seemed to think that he could become more than an armorer's apprentice.  Will he return at some point?

I've also been wondering about the Waif.  She seems to be tapped into the events of Westeros.  And I got to wondering if her character may now be a combination of the Waif in the books and Mya Stone, another of Robert's bastards.

Scott, I like the way you think!  Seeing the dire wolves take apart Ramsay Bolton would be poetic justice.  Presuming that there are any of them left by the time Jon Snow gets to Winterfell.

Feedback

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 13, 2016, 07:30 AM »
Scott, I like the way you think!  Seeing the dire wolves take apart Ramsay Bolton would be poetic justice.  Presuming that there are any of them left by the time Jon Snow gets to Winterfell.

Isn't Nymeria still unaccounted for?  As I recall, Arya sends her off during book 1 after the incident with Joffrey. I don't recall that ever being closed and I keep wondering/waiting for the wolf to come back.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 13, 2016, 07:39 AM »
Yeah.  In the books there are rumors of a Direwolf leading a pack of wolves in the vicinity of the Riverlands.  That's roughly where Arya set Nymeria loose after her run-in with Joffrey. 

Feedback