Author Topic: Why 12" GI Joe is dead  (Read 4571 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Why 12" GI Joe is dead
« on: May 6, 2015, 09:48 AM »
There is an interview with Derryl Depriest about why Hasbro killed the 12" Joe line. What I found interesting is he said there were 12" Joes in 2011 but no one bought them. I would have shot back that they weren't available at retail so how was I suppose to buy them? The same applies to star wars that he runs. How can he say sales were bad if product was never available?

https://patchesofpride.wordpress.com/2015/04/29/top-hasbro-executive-derryl-depriest-responds-to-criticisms-from-fans-collectors-of-12-inch-g-i-joes-a-market-is-definitely-being-ignored/

« Last Edit: May 6, 2015, 09:49 AM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Why 12" GI Joe is dead
« Reply #1 on: May 7, 2015, 11:34 AM »
There is an interview with Derryl Depriest about why Hasbro killed the 12" Joe line. What I found interesting is he said there were 12" Joes in 2011 but no one bought them. I would have shot back that they weren't available at retail so how was I suppose to buy them? The same applies to star wars that he runs. How can he say sales were bad if product was never available?

I have to disagree about the 2011 12 inch figures not being readily available at stores. In my experience that was the only GI Joe product widely available at Target, TRU, and Wal-Mart in 2011. Discount stores also had plenty in 2012. I think only the Skystriker was more plentiful/easier to find out of the 2011 offerings, but Wal-Mart didn't carry it. 

There's obviously still a market for 1:6 scale military figures, but it seems as though smaller companies have stepped into that niche. That's acceptable to me, especially if Hasbro can't achieve the level of quality and detail collector's want at a mass retail level. However that doesn't make me too optimistic for the future of articulated 3 3/4" figures from Hasbro.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Why 12" GI Joe is dead
« Reply #2 on: May 8, 2015, 08:43 AM »