Author Topic: Stormtrooper  (Read 20586 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Stormtrooper
« on: April 13, 2010, 09:35 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern
Legacy COllection Spacetrooper (minus gear)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Stormtrooper
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:42 PM »
Yeah I went with the Spacetrooper over the 30AC and VOTC version.  I think the Spacetrooper is the Ultimate ANH Trooper which is at the heart of what the Vintage figure was/is/always will be.

The 30AC collection is the same, just a different helmet and some paint differences. 

I like the VOTC one fine but, again, I like the Spacetrooper more

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 10:12 PM »
I'd concur on your choice on that one Scott...  Without the gear, the Spacetrooper's probably the best Stormtrooper to-date...  I'd add these to the list of possible candidates though:

-Clean Sandtrooper w/Black Pauldron
-Tantive IV Stormtrooper

I like both these figures, and the Tantive IV doesn't have the holster ala the Vintage figure too, so that's sort of neat.

The Clean Sandtrooper, to me, is the best "army builder" version of the Stormtrooper figure because it's the basic Stormie sculpt, you can remove the grenade on the butt, the pack is a nice touch, as is the pauldron and pike.  All the gear a basic Stormie may have in the field anyway, on any planet unless it requires a totally unique uniform...  and then of course the clean deco.

To me, basically the black pauldroned/clean Sandtrooper was simply a Stormtrooper with all his field gear, so I stocked up on him plenty in the past couple years he's been around.  K-Mart sales came in dandy handy for that guy. :)

The Spacetrooper though, he's fantastic...  Plus a relatively generic human likeness rather than a Clone is refreshing these days. :)  I'd rather have a sculpt that looked like a member of the cast/production team than a Clone under my Imperial buckets, but that's just me (and Paul).

I keep wondering if Hasbro's going to go "super duper" articulated on this one...  Will we ever see this figure out on a basic card with ball-jointed hips and perhaps even ball-jointed wrists?  It's something I like about the Clone Wars Clones and the ball-jointed hips of the Dewback Trooper added a lot to his poseability.  More than I imagined it would.  So to me it's an improvable figure, but another like Han that I'd be just as content if they never took it a step further...  but I wouldn't turn my nose up if they did and I'd probably be suckered into buying 20 or 30 more of them.  ::)  I'm a sap.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 01:21 AM »
Good choice....I could've gone with either the VOTC or Space Trooper (gear removed).

Although I have nearly 30 of the POTF2 CommTech stormies displayed.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 04:00 AM »
Good choice. I would have gone with the Tantive IV Trooper, but this one is a lot easier to obtain.

I see I'm not the only one who isn't a big fan of the 30AC version...
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 10:02 AM »
Great choice!  I would have gone with him, too.  I bought a few of these to use as regular Stormies.  I also really like the Tantive IV version, probably more than the VOTC version.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 10:46 AM »
One of my favorite characters. I'm going on 300 of the VOTC onward style and amazingly I know two people who have almost twice as much as I do.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 12:55 PM »
My absolute favorite character. I haven't seen the Spacetrooper in person, so I can't really give an informed opinion of my favorite; however, by the pic alone of the Spacetrooper and 30AC, I'd go with the 30AC as my favorite. And I'm not exactly sure why. It's gotta be the helmet, since that's the difference.

I remember when they first came out with Commtech Stormie. I just about **** myself I was so excited.

Purely because of nostalgia, nothing will ever match the vintage sculpt. :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 01:00 PM »
DId you know anyone who as a kid army built Stormtroopers?  I personally didn't, I only ever had one...but it seems like a smart thing to do, no?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 01:27 PM »
I never even thought of army building any toy as a kid.  One of each was just fine for me back in the day.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 02:13 PM »
I remember wanting to army-build, but having little means to do so. I had five Stormies when I was a kid. I distinctly remember wanting at least eight so I could fill up by Imperial Troop Transport.  ;D

Offline Glitch

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 02:31 PM »

Awesome series.  I've actually been keeping a set of "updated 92" aside from all my other figures for quite some time now.  This series was the reason I joined this forum, so...

I've agreed with every pick thus far but this one.

I'm going to have to go with the Legacy Collection reissue of the VOTC Stormtrooper for a few different reasons.

• First, just from an aspect of absolute purity.  This IS a Stormtrooper - not a Spacetrooper, not a Sandtrooper (though I'm surprised to see a gear stripped Dewback Trooper wasn't mentioned), not an "Insert Environment Here" Trooper.  No need for modifications or gear removal. the VOTC Stormtrooper is a PURE update to the vintage Stormtrooper right out of the package.

• Second, the helmet on the Spacetrooper is WAY too small - he's a pinhead..  It is also slightly misshaped due to the soft nature of the material and the head bulging underneath. 

• Next, the head rides up WAY too high on the neck - again mostly because the head is too small.  The actual Stormtrooper helmet almost rests on the shoulders.

• No removable helmet.  Again, a matter of purity.  NO removable helmet on the original, so...  However, I do respect that the Spacetrooper features the Joe Johnston sculpt rather than the "keep your prequels out of my OT" clone sculpt.

• Finally, I went with the recent carded reissue of the VOTC Stormtrooper because much of the the white on the original VOTC version yellowed almost immediately - nasty, nasty, ugly, cheap polystyrene.  It was never pure white, but got worse REALLY fast.  The new one is gleaming white.

The VOTC Stormtrooper is by no means perfect, but, in my opinion, it's the closest thing we have to a true update to the original vintage figure.  It's a great figure and one of the better updates in the series.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on this guy.

I'm going to cry when we get the the Death Squad Commander.

:'(

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 01:50 AM »
My army of vintage Stormtroopers as a kid was 2. Comparing the images above, the vintage was pretty accurate as far as sculpt goes, I would have sworn it would have looked hokier in a side-by-side. I was always disappointed with the fixed head, and when the time came I switched to Scout Troopers (I must have had five or six of them) as my go-to Trooper, just because he could look around. Man, I wish I had found a Stormtrooper Luke as a kid!

Today I have several several of the CommTech version (thanks to the infamous Fan Club slip-up of sending some fortunate folks double their order of army builder 4-packs when they first made them available.) that serve as my "army," but the "hero" Stormtroopers are all VOTC or later. I bought two of the VOTC back in '04 even though I had a lot of hang-ups about the pricing (now that I think about it, buying two could have almost been an homage to my vintage collection!) I bought two 30AC just for the option of making Han and Luke Stormies, and have bought the Spacetrooper and official Han and Luke Stormies from the Legacy collection.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 12:16 AM »
Reading Muftak post I remember the fixed head was a feature of at at driver, imperial hoth stormtrooper, tie fighter pilot, stormtrooper and emperor royal guard.

The vintage stormtrooper has a lot of white areas on his paintjob, only the hip zone was updated in black for the LuKe Skywalker in stormtrooper disguise from potf.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 12:24 AM »
I army built as a kid, but nothing Star Wars...  I would hit garage sales with my mother, and flea markets with my parents who enjoyed looking for antiques, and woudl buy up GI Joes who were being shuffled off.  I found some outstandingly well kept figures too...  I mean, I played with my GIJ's till they were worn pretty good, so I find it odd now looking back at how many well-kept toys I would buy on the cheap.

And I mean cheap...  I'd find $.25 or $.50 figures at places.  So I wound up with like a dozen Cobra Troopers, some extra Stinger drivers and the like...  My best army was Vipers which I had like 20 of.  I also had a lot of "green shirts".  I'd buy Short Fuze, or Grunt, or Steeler or whatnot...  I'd mix/match the parts to make a somewhat mixed variety of green (and tan) shirts.  They were great cannon fodder for the Cobras, and it left Airborne and other favorites of mine free to survive.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77