Awesome series. I've actually been keeping a set of "updated 92" aside from all my other figures for quite some time now. This series was the reason I joined this forum, so...
I've agreed with every pick thus far but this one.
I'm going to have to go with the Legacy Collection reissue of the VOTC Stormtrooper for a few different reasons.
• First, just from an aspect of absolute purity. This IS a Stormtrooper - not a Spacetrooper, not a Sandtrooper (though I'm surprised to see a gear stripped Dewback Trooper wasn't mentioned), not an "Insert Environment Here" Trooper. No need for modifications or gear removal. the VOTC Stormtrooper is a PURE update to the vintage Stormtrooper right out of the package.
• Second, the helmet on the Spacetrooper is WAY too small - he's a pinhead.. It is also slightly misshaped due to the soft nature of the material and the head bulging underneath.
• Next, the head rides up WAY too high on the neck - again mostly because the head is too small. The actual Stormtrooper helmet almost rests on the shoulders.
• No removable helmet. Again, a matter of purity. NO removable helmet on the original, so... However, I do respect that the Spacetrooper features the Joe Johnston sculpt rather than the "keep your prequels out of my OT" clone sculpt.
• Finally, I went with the recent carded reissue of the VOTC Stormtrooper because much of the the white on the original VOTC version yellowed almost immediately - nasty, nasty, ugly, cheap polystyrene. It was never pure white, but got worse REALLY fast. The new one is gleaming white.
The VOTC Stormtrooper is by no means perfect, but, in my opinion, it's the closest thing we have to a true update to the original vintage figure. It's a great figure and one of the better updates in the series.
Anyway, those are my thoughts on this guy.
I'm going to cry when we get the the Death Squad Commander.