Author Topic: Darth Vader  (Read 30301 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: Darth Vader
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 02:06 AM »
Vintage Vader was one of my favorites as a kid too. Wore him out to the point that he couldn't stand anymore, and like Scott said, lost the saber, the cape, the paint...

Got a replacement in '83, and just loathed the vinyl cape at that point. New Vader ditched the 70's vinyl for a more modern cloth cape by stealing Squid Head's. The brown worked for me since Jedi Luke had a brown robe too.

As far as ultimate Vader goes, I think as long as we have the current state of cloth robes I will never be satisfied with Vader in the same way I am with a VOTC Han or Chewie. The cloth is always too bulky, too smooth, and too "shimmery" for me to be supremely satisfied. We need to get to a state of a nicely pliable, yet molded and detailed plastic/PVC version of the robes...something I have no idea if it will ever be possible.

Until then...I guess the 30AC version is my go-to, even though I only bought it at the time for the Ben Kenobi robe accessory.

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 03:49 AM »
I agree, TAC Vader is probably my favorite. Mainly for the fact that he doesn't have the silver thread and he can hold his sabre with two hands in a duel with old Ben.

I like the head joint on the VOTC though, it's quite good for scowling down at other characters, or up at an escaping Millenium Falcon. I didn't even realize the figure had this feature until I got a duplicate with an imperial shuttle years later, and moved the neck by accident.

Offline Darthfloyd

• Youngling
  • Customizing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 11:54 AM »
that head really is wayyyyy too small, isn't it?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 09:41 PM »
I agree, TAC Vader is probably my favorite. Mainly for the fact that he doesn't have the silver thread and he can hold his sabre with two hands in a duel with old Ben.

I like the head joint on the VOTC though, it's quite good for scowling down at other characters, or up at an escaping Millenium Falcon. I didn't even realize the figure had this feature until I got a duplicate with an imperial shuttle years later, and moved the neck by accident.

I didn't know the head on that Vader moved up and down!  I never tried it!

Until then...I guess the 30AC version is my go-to, even though I only bought it at the time for the Ben Kenobi robe accessory.

I bought that figure for the same reason (I figured it was the only Ben Kenobi figure I didn't have), but the Vader figure made the perfect pilot for a Sith Starfighter pilot.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 04:09 AM »
I pulled out the ol VOTC Vader from storage the other day, and despite newer versions being superior in mostly every way, I have to say, I really like the balljointed head he's got going. I know Vader probably couldn't look up or down in the movies, but I think it adds a lot of personality to the posing. I think he might be the best non removable helmet Vader out there at the very least. Plus he can hang his lightsaber from his belt.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 11:40 PM »
I pulled out the ol VOTC Vader from storage the other day, and despite newer versions being superior in mostly every way, I have to say, I really like the balljointed head he's got going. I know Vader probably couldn't look up or down in the movies, but I think it adds a lot of personality to the posing. I think he might be the best non removable helmet Vader out there at the very least.

Interesting pic from the new Empire picture book:

Plus he can hang his lightsaber from his belt.

Every lightsaber-carrying character needs to also have a lightsaber hilt that can plug into their belt.  Hasbro started doing this over ten years ago to great effect; why it's not a standard thing for all Jedi and Sith figures today is beyond me.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 02:58 AM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 02:26 AM »
It's one of those things we've never gotten a real clear answer on in the Q&A too, almost like they've not understood the question, however I'm noticing more figures now coming with a hilt to plug into a hole on the belt like the new Anakin and Bespin Luke (even though the hole on his belt isn't actually where his hilt would've clipped since the hook's to the right I think, but whatever).

I'm 100% with you though, any figure with a saber deserves the hilt and a hole on the belt for it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline zombieted

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 10:39 PM »
I think he might be the best non removable helmet Vader out there at the very least. Plus he can hang his lightsaber from his belt.

I was just thinning my heard of Vaders and decided we really need a new *non-removable helmet* Vader.  Ball-jointed head, fix his hand and give him a hole for his saber hilt.  Perfect.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 11:41 PM »
It's one of those things we've never gotten a real clear answer on in the Q&A too, almost like they've not understood the question

Interesting.  Is there some sort of online resource where I can go read their responses to these questions for myself?  A "Hasbro Q&A compendium," if you will?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 03:10 AM »
 :-[
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 11:31 AM »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 11:33 AM »
 ::)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 11:41 AM »
 :-[

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 12:07 PM »
 :P

Offline zombieted

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 08:12 PM »
I was just thinning my heard of Vaders and decided we really need a new *non-removable helmet* Vader.  Ball-jointed head, fix his hand and give him a hole for his saber hilt.  Perfect.

Quoting myself here... Any word on a 'perfect' Vader without a removable helmet?