Author Topic: Darth Vader  (Read 30295 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Darth Vader
« on: April 15, 2010, 02:50 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern
30AC ANH Wave (Also released in one of the tins)

Offline Glitch

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Darth Vader
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 03:01 PM »

No brainer and an easy pick, but I could have done without the removable helmet for this version.  Helmet stayed on for the entire film.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 03:59 PM »
Even though the tunic under the shoulder armor isn't accurate, I like the TLC Vader a little bit more since it has the Shaw/old Anakin likeness which would be more appropriate for ANH.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:01 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 04:33 PM »
Even though the tunic under the shoulder armor isn't accurate, I like the TLC Vader a little bit more since it has the Shaw/old Anakin likeness which would be more appropriate for ANH.

Seconded...

The sculpt's, essentially, the same figure and I like the 2-piece removable helmet and Shaw likeness underneath for my favorite Vader...  If the new 3-piece helmet figure planned is on-par with the 2-piece one in terms of snug fit and overall look, I'll be bumping my favorite up to the 3-piece figure...  All the features, articulation, etc.

Again, can it be improved?  I think Vader could benefit from additional articulation, perhaps a removable cape with a little chain clasp instead of silver string...  Vader's one of those figures it'd be kind of cool to have additional hands to go with the figure too, like a Sideshow figure.  Considering he basically IS the trilogy, it'd be neat to have a hand just in an "open" type pose like he's talking to Luke on Bespin, or a fist, or the right hand cut off with wiring exposed... 

Ya know, rather than buying a bunch of the same figure, each with a different hand.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 04:40 PM »
I absolutely HATE that damn silver piece of yarn that is about 10x too big.  It looks absolutely awful...

I chose this one for the articulation, removable helmet and the fact that its the ANH suit

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 04:43 PM »
One other thing, the soft goods on the chest area doesn't ever do much for me...which is again why I prefer the 30AC version

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 04:57 PM »
Good point JJ about the different hands. I think that is one feature that Vader, above all others, could really benefit from. I almost rather have that then ball-joint hips because if he can't hold his lightsaber without the assistance of the rubber bands then posing him in dynamic dueling poses is really for naught.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 05:07 PM »
Yeah, me too...  Ball-jointed hips are cool but Vader's not the most dynamic figure in terms of poses either.  He's old, crippled...  Basically I think he's pretty good where they're at so I too would prefer the hands.  I just feel that's the kind of thing Hasbro would not do for some reason.  They should, but I am not counting on it.

It's like Jabba's Palace Luke...  He too should come with a couple hands.  At least clean, burned/wiring exposed, and gloved.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 05:59 PM »
Hasbro would never do a Vader with multiple hands, they might create one which gives them the ability to select different hand sculpts for the hand/glove part of the arm, but they would use this feature to sell essentially the same sculpt with different hands time and time again.

I think the TAC/Tin version is definitely the best representation of Vader from ANH that we've gotten, so good choice on figure there. I definitely could have done without the removeable helmet on this figure, but oh well, it is what is is. Since it's Hayden's head underneath, you have to concede that this really isn't even Vader from ANH since that head should/would look closer to Sebastian Shaw at that point in time.

I've always considered this figure Vader, four-to-five years removed from the events in ROTS because of the removeable helmet, so a version w/o the removeable helment, ball jointed hips and the ability to clip a lightsaber to his belt would be the improvements I'd want to see to make an "ultimate" ANH version of Vader.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 06:33 PM »
The vintage figure is and was probably my 2nd favorite figure I owned.  I played the heck out of my original and by the end, he sported no cape, a glued on head (recreating the Dagobah cave :P), his chest box was rubbed to nothing thanks to being run over by a bike and his saber was replaced by a red colored toothpick. 

I think the vinyl capes sucked...they always tore and never looked right.  For their time I suppose they were functional but they still sucked :P

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 08:22 PM »
First, I had no idea that 30AC Vader was different from the others... I passed on it and don't actually own it.

Honestly, I feel as if Vader has YET to be perfected despite the multiple SA/"Ultimate" versions we've gotten. The VOTC version is awesome, but it doesn't have ankle articulation or ball jointed elbows. The height I feel is perfect, but it might be inaccurate. The Evolutions version seems a little too short and "wide stanced" to me. I feel some kind of combination of the two would make for a great Vader, but I don't know about the scale or anything like that.

Man, that 30AC Vader is awesome... now I need to track one down!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 11:03 PM »
I do think that the Evolutions Vader is worthy of an honorable mention.  The modern vaders since have been a variation  of that one.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 11:17 PM »
A long waited figure would be  a 30 tac Vader with Shaw head, or with the 3 piece helmet for ultimate accuracy.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 11:42 PM »
A long waited figure would be  a 30 tac Vader with Shaw head, or with the 3 piece helmet for ultimate accuracy.

&

Jedi Insider has a shot of 3-piece helmet
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 12:04 AM by Scott »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 11:46 PM »
Man that top photo...  The antithesis of Lord Helmet.