Author Topic: Wampa, Rieken, Nightclub Obi Wan & Twi'lek, etc, how surprised are you?  (Read 4610 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
If I woke up tomorrow morning with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now.  The past 48 hrs has revealed so much awesome new stuff coming out that I am almost at a loss for words, as there is almost too much great stuff coming out that I don't know where to begin!!

All I can say for sure is that 2004 should be a hell of a year for Star Wars collecting, provided that the retailers get this stuff in and Hasbro doesn't screw up distribution and production numbers.

The Walmart announcement that they will not be carrying Clone Wars product may be a blessing in disguise, as the other retailers may not be getting in much SAGA product due to the Clone Wars stuff, so Walmart might actually be saving us a lot of headaches because they might actually get in substantial SAGA product.

It looks like this year has a TON of POTENTIAL, so we should all be happy for that.  

What are your thoughts on all this new stuff?  Any negativity?

:P
« Last Edit: July 19, 2003, 01:22 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
All I can say for sure is that 2004 should be a hell of a year for Star Wars collecting, provided that the retailers get this stuff in and Hasbro doesn't screw up distribution and production numbers.

That's really the only thing I'm worried about.  I've been lucky to find Clone Wars toys in my area, but I haven't even found one single new Saga figure yet.  So, if Hasbro and the retailers can work together on distribution, then maybe there will be more in stores for us all.

dustrho

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
I'm pleasantly suprised :)

My only concern with everything that's happened over the last few days is these JMP auctions...

I have a feeling that even with my 3000 points, I won't be able to get anything decent....since there are many out there who have 1000's more than even I do.

But we'll have to wait and see I guess...

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
I was surprised to see pics but not surprised they're doing them, I guess.  I think the biggest and nicest surprise was Riekken, and perhaps the fantastic looking Hoth Luke.  He illustrates what Hoth Han (still a pretty good fig) should have been.

SilverZ

I'm so excited that late '03 and into '04 appears to be a return to POTJ form. Its looking like collectors are back as the priority. These pictures are exactly the figures I'd hoped for and the new themed release schedule is a great idea that's long, long overdue. I can't wait to get them. Unfortunately at this stage and state of the line it probably also means we're going to have to look to more collector-oriented stores and online to find anything without major effort.

I hope the Clone Wars line (which I actually really like, even as a movie -canon diehard) doesn't kill the line at retail.

Honestly, I'm worried the MOST about the Walmart news. This is a key account for many, many different businesses (including the one I'm in) and when their buyers don't pick up on your line's #1 push for Summer-Fall, there are serious issues. Hesistance of a major national retailer to show confidence in your product line can either spark competitors to buy more of that inventory, sure, but more often than not, the rumor of the abandonment just becomes cancerous and makes other retail buyers nervous. Not good.

If Walmart were getting new influx of Saga merchandise, I'd be a bit more at ease. But, other than the random trickle of new product reported in the last few weeks, WM stores have been a graveyard for Star Wars figures. They backed out of the 2nd wave of Cantina packs and really underordered on the Trash Compactor sets, which were wonderful toys. Recent history seems to show that SW is being minimized throughout the Walmart chain.

In my industry, it's very common to offer price protection for retailers on the items they stock. Generally what happens is that you offer guarantees on the sales of the item until a certain date, at which time, you either accept returns or cover the discount of the merchandise in-store. It forces you, as a company, to emphasize quality and be careful about the focus of your product to ensure YOU don't get stuck with loss of profits because they don't perform at retail. What you gain is shelfspace because you have minimized risks for the retailer/buyer, as well as convey confidence in your product because of the guarantee you offer.

When you don't do this, you run the risk of failed products jeopardizing the opportunity to sell future items to those same buyers. I'm sure Hasbro doesn't offer price protection. Instead, they seem to hire reps to call back merchandise, which as we've seen in the past takes place a good 3-6 months after it really should in order to be effective. In that time, the retailer can't stock or sell more popular items because dusty unwanted items are taking up that space. I'm sure this is nothing new to anyone here, but its worth puting out there as a reality check.

How many times can you be burned by sitting on overshipped, underselling toys? Ev9D9? Ronto beast packs? Shadows of the Empire? Cantina packs? Saga figures? There has not been a case in the long history of the modern Star Wars line that indicates a new non-movie-based line, in a non-movie year, has even the slightest chance for success. I would be hesistant to buy into the concept as well. Add on top of that the risk of being stuck with that merchandise at the expense of proven current successes like Transformers, you're going to put your buying dollars on the hits.

I think these new shots prove Hasbro is heading back to good territory that will work with us collectors. I'm really worried that they've overextended the line's welcome at retail by the misjudgement made with Saga in assuming they should be more kid-friendly. I really want these new figures to succeed, but I have a feeling we're going to be looking for them through less traditional outlets.

Anyone that wants to start a group to start buying by the case, let me know, I'll be down for it! :)

Sorry for the 2am babbling.

J

« Last Edit: July 19, 2003, 05:10 AM by SilverZed3 »

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
Im surprised by most of it myself. Especially by the night club figures. Im really looking forward to next year.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
It seems like (potentially) Power Of The Jedi all over again!  It looks like great, collector oriented stuff.  Just like POTJ was.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Silverzed, you have some great points.  I do hope that the Walmart situation improves, but lucky for most of us there are either TRU stores or Target stores that should have this stuff in soon, hopefully in sufficient quantities (but not too sufficient; ie; overproduction).

Then, there's always the e-tailers.  Thank the maker for them!!  Well, some of them at least.

:P

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Silverzed makes many good points, and I think he hits the nail on the head.  Clone Wars are DOA at Wal Mart.  Not good at all.  I don't think that means the end of the road for SW at retail - not at all - but it shows that retailers have been avoiding SW this year as if it were contagious.  Wal Mart seems to have made the mistake of buying into EP2 way too much after the hard lesson of EP1.  They got saddled with a lot of overstock and are now treating the brand as if it's to blame.

Wal Mart is going to lose out on some cash this year, and next, if they continue to approach SW this way.  Not that it matters to their bottom line, but the incidental business they get from we collectors going on toy runs could diminish.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Some great information on upcoming figures, and images to accompany some did indeed surface in the last couple days.

The Gen. Riekean figure is stellar...  A new Luke...  These things appeal to me.

A collector year is sorely needed, one that has steady sales as opposed to glutonous store purchases and product that's trying to appeal to a market with no interest in the franchise anymore...  Or a short-term interest at best.  

Could be some great things in 2004 and late 2003.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
The whole lineup rings very similarly to all of the candidates we saw in Fan's Choice Poll #4.  The only figure from that ballot we haven't seen is the Rebel in Scout Trooper dsiguise.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
I am VERY surprised. I wasn't expecting this. The figures look GREAT, and I will definately pick up most, if not all, of them. ;)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
Hey I'm back and internet is finally up (my cable was struck by lightning) but I unplugged my computer before I left...

Anyhow to the distribution stinks across the US...I haven't seen anything!!!!  Managed to pick up a Carkoon Fett and Aayla when I got back but there are still gaps in my collection...

I have been so depressed  :-[

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Surprised?  Not really.  Relieved that they've finally been officially announced?  Most definitely!  I figured that most of these new figures would be on their way eventually, most likely in the next couple collector oriented non-movie years.  It was just a matter of Hasbro (or a Japanese poster) getting around to finally confirming them for us.

I think that Rieekan is just beautiful with his tactical board display.  Just what we were hoping for!  The nightclub patrons look great as well, but frankly I'm a little surprised to not see George Lucas' daughter not making the cut yet in 4" figure form.  I'm still expecting her to show up eventually, just because you know she's begging daddy to have a figure of her made to show off to her friends!   :P

The rest all look really nice as well, and do very much make it appear that POTJ has finally returned in a new form, as we've been speculating for a while now!  Glad to finally get back to the good stuff!  Now show me some more!  I'm feeling greedy now!  Love this OT stuff!