Author Topic: Jawa  (Read 26766 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Jawa
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 09:16 PM »
I don't know why they never made glowing eyes. How hard can it be to put an LED inside with a pipe going to the head?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 02:18 PM »
Vintage Jawa kicks all sorts of ass.  I find that with the modern ones, I like different parts of different versions.  Hard to pick one complete one for me.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 02:00 AM »
Here is the decloaked Jawa

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 09:58 PM »
Yay! Thanks Scott!!  :D ;D :D

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 04:20 PM »
I don't know why they never made glowing eyes. How hard can it be to put an LED inside with a pipe going to the head?

I would love to see this for a future Jawa update--same goes for Artoo and Threepio, too.  Has LED technology gotten to the point yet where they could do something like that fairly cheaply, if they wanted, and without impacting the aesthetics and/or articulation of the figure too much?  Or is that just crazy talk?  I let my subscription to LED Technology Monthly lapse some time ago.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 07:31 PM »
LEDs are cheap, small, and consume very little battery power, so I'd say it's well within their budgets. They pulled it off with a couple of R2s, so I don't know why not a Jawa or other droids. If you recall, in fact, the broken apart 3P0 that came with the Saga-era "Cloud City Capture" Chewbacca had eyes that lit up when the head was pushed into the body. They can definitely pull it off.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:32 PM by Carpeteria3000 »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #21 on: May 5, 2010, 02:47 PM »
LEDs are cheap, small, and consume very little battery power, so I'd say it's well within their budgets. They pulled it off with a couple of R2s, so I don't know why not a Jawa or other droids. If you recall, in fact, the broken apart 3P0 that came with the Saga-era "Cloud City Capture" Chewbacca had eyes that lit up when the head was pushed into the body. They can definitely pull it off.

Yeah, I know about all those, but that's what I was talking about with the impacting of the aesthetics and articulation and all of these things.  That Threepio's just a couple of hunks of plastic, and the Artoos with the light-up eyes have the fixed domes and stuff.  So they're all gimped in some way or another.

What I'd like to see are regular figures with LEDs implemented in, like the Resurgence Artoo or Threepio with light-up eyes, while retaining the articulation.  I don't know enough about LEDs to know if that's even possible at that small a scale, and if it even is, how expensive it would be.

And what do you know about electronics and toys, anyway?   ::)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: May 5, 2010, 03:20 PM »
One thing that could be tried is a basic poseable R2 like Bar2 or something (no gimmicks like retractable 3rd leg when you move the dome, etc.).  Just a basic articulated R2 that you gotta maybe attach the 3rd leg yourself ala the VOTC figure.

OK, so you put an LED inside the head soldered to a piece of metal strip.  Inside the body you house the battery, which has wires running up to another metal strip at the top of the body.  When you swivel the head the LED's strip connects the circuit to the batter/power sources strip.  A small soundchip should also fit in the body, and "activate" when you move the head to connect the circuit.  You could have actually 2 or 3 strips at the body base I'd think, so you could swivel the head various poses and connect the circuit, the sound plays and stops till the circuit breaks and reconnects again when you move the head (so you don't have sounds playing all the time), and that in theory should work.  I don't know if it would meet the "play" standards though.

The real problem with making the head swivel and the eye light up, is that the dome doesn't allow much room for the electronics, but the body allows a good bit.  So you have to find a way for the LED's wires not to tangle as the head turns left/right.

Another fix is just not letting the head rotate 360 degrees, but instead just left and right to the point the eye is centered on the back of the figure, but then must be reversed to get it foreward again.  You'd avoid twisting the wires to the LED that way as well.

My above method is more complex but would allow the head to turn 360 degrees, but the eye couldn't light up at every single point you turned the head.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #23 on: May 6, 2010, 11:02 PM »
Yeah, I know about all those, but that's what I was talking about with the impacting of the aesthetics and articulation and all of these things.  That Threepio's just a couple of hunks of plastic, and the Artoos with the light-up eyes have the fixed domes and stuff.  So they're all gimped in some way or another.

What I'd like to see are regular figures with LEDs implemented in, like the Resurgence Artoo or Threepio with light-up eyes, while retaining the articulation.  I don't know enough about LEDs to know if that's even possible at that small a scale, and if it even is, how expensive it would be.

And what do you know about electronics and toys, anyway?   ::)

Just because I totally owned you with my last post, don't get all jealous and ****. I think just a cell battery and some small LEDs would get the job done, and I can't imagine why it wouldn't be possible. At least in an R2 figure.

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 7, 2010, 04:20 AM »
Jesse, your post about the wires twisting in the R2 dome reminded me of that interview clip with Kenny Baker where he's talking about the same thing, but in his case the wires were garroting him.

I'm all for more LED's in figures. I've always thought a destroyer droid with a light up shield could look pretty good.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: May 7, 2010, 11:57 PM »
Yeah, that was actually something I was thinking about...  I've had some experience with various RC things, and tanks don't have fully rotating turrets because of that issue.  There's ways around obviously, and I've seen them done, but they're not as cheap as simple a wire between an LED, a power source, and some kind of on/off switch.  In a figure it has to basically be that simple.

I wonder if a tall POTF2 Jawa doesn't have most of the components (sans electronics) to do a light-up eye figure?  Hmmm....
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darthfloyd

• Youngling
  • Customizing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 07:52 PM »
See for the R2, I could see them doing a small LED and battery inside the body, then making the dome out of a painted translucent blue plastic, which has a part sitting right on the LED...that way if you press a button or something, the light goes up the plastic and out the eye, which is obviously left unpainted.

A Jawa and 3po could probably be done the same way - you just may not be able to have waist articulation (or at least not much) due to fitting the stuff inside the torso.