Author Topic: America: The Story of Us  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
America: The Story of Us
« on: April 26, 2010, 12:52 AM »
Anyone watching the series?  Pretty big episodes I guess. 

I watched most of tonight's but had to leave so I couldn't watch it all...  I'm trying to catch the latter part now that I'm home.

It's interesting.  It's the kind of thing I think it's good to sit and watch with your kids if they're not too young.  It really speeds through stuff though I think, but it's interesting still and seems like a really nicely put together series.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: America: The Story of Us
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 02:51 AM »
I watched some of it tonight but not all.  I agree, I think this looks to be a good series.  They are moving fast, but if they hit the important highlights it'll be a really good educational suplement for students and a good refresher for the rest of us.

I know in high school it seemed like we always got to the mid 1900's and then things really kind of wound down.  It never seeemed like history class ever got into the meaty parts of the 60's and 70's, maybe even the 50's.  I remember covering WWII a lot but not so much Korea and definitely not Vietman as much as we could have.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 08:15 AM »
I haven't watched it yet, but did DVR the first two episodes last night.  Hopefully I'll get time tonight after my daughter goes to bed to watch some.  Now that I'm done with my first Masters class I actually have a little time to watch TV.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 04:02 PM »
I enjoyed the shows last night, but was a little torn by how quickly they moved through the content. 

I liked the fact that all of the video recreations, etc. seemed to be all new and very well done.  However after watching the in depth multi-part Revolution series a few years ago I was unsure if I liked how quickly "The Story of Us" moved through some really meaty sections of the Revolutionary War and completely left out other key parts.  They dwelled on other areas that were colorful, but maybe less important. 

I felt that they could have done a better job telling how we got our asses kicked in a lot of battles and were close to losing the whole thing, only to pull out a victory in the end.  They seemed to say that "a bunch of stuff happened", Washington camped at Valley Forge in the snowy, poopy mud, then we won the battle at Yorktown, and then we hung our flag up and smiled.

Overall I liked it and learned some new things I hadn't known before, but didn't feel this was a very deep or accurate telling of the Revolutionary War.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 04:47 PM »
They really stayed longer on the Revolution than anything though...  I was surprised how it slowed down at that point.

They jumped from Thanksgiving, completely over the French & Indian War all together...  They didn't even mention it, which is odd because it really was the first major event after the initial settlements to shape America and lead into the revolution.

The Revolution's been covered by its own series so much I'm pretty ok if they skim it, and skimming in general's sort of a necessity, so I'm looking forward to future stuff that maybe doesn't have as much of a spotlight on it. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 10:09 AM »
I got to watch about 20 minutes of the first episode last night.  I was glad to see that they mentioned John Rolfe being married to Pocohantas and not John Smith.  That is a common misconception that nobody seems interested in correcting.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 10:57 AM »
I got to watch about 20 minutes of the first episode last night.  I was glad to see that they mentioned John Rolfe being married to Pocohantas and not John Smith.  That is a common misconception that nobody seems interested in correcting.

Wait. You mean the Disney movie wasn't accurate???
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 11:39 AM »

Wait. You mean the Disney movie wasn't accurate???

Holy ****, does that mean that Avatar is all ****** up too?   ;D

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 04:09 PM »
******* smartasses. :)

Yeah, every year I have to correct my kids that John Rolfe married Pocohantas and not Smith.  Damn movies need to get it right.

Embrace the suck.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 11:42 AM »
Okay, got to watch the episode the other night and I really did enjoy it.

I was disappointed about them not mentioning the French and Indian War...and how losing that land was part of the reason the French were so willing to help the Americans.  I appreciated how they showed the American way of fighting the war through guerilla tactics.  And again, it was great they pointed out how the Americans chased (although they didn't mention the ambush part) the British soldiers all the way back to Boston.  FWIW, that was the only battle of the war Capt. Parker fought in.  I believe he had tuberculosis and ended up dying in Sept. 1775 and was too sick to participate at Bunker Hill.

Embrace the suck.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 11:44 AM »
Anybody still watching this series?

I've enjoyed most of it so far.  I thought they skipped over a few things they probably should have included, but overall not too bad.  I haven't watched last nights episode yet, but it's on the DVR to be watched this week.  I'm up through the one on the steel and moving into the 20th century, right up to the Great Depression.

Embrace the suck.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 07:13 PM »
I haven't been watching this but I'm hoping they put it out on DVD later.  I'd pick that up and watch it.

E...