Author Topic: Greedo  (Read 21716 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Greedo
« on: April 27, 2010, 12:12 AM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern
VTSC Greedo

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Greedo
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 12:18 AM »
After all of the controversy around Death Squad Commander...we run into Greedo.

Kenner got the vintage figure horribly wrong...putting a Greedo head on Nabrun Leids suit. 

So...like the Commander, even though Kenner may or may not have screwed the pooch here...he's done, right?

I sort of dream of a Cantina Dude Four Pack of messed up costumes with proper heads

VTSC Greedo rocks the articulation house but the vest sucks ass in my opinion.  I like the head and body but usually display him with a Saga/OTC rubber vest instead.  I didn't want to cheat I guess :P

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 12:24 AM »
Big fan of Greedo especially the Vintage version as it's so damn 70s looking. The VTSC version is a great figure in it's own right - the cloth vest is funky, but I like it and the holster as well.

My favorite Greedo prior to the VTSC mold is the OTC repaint of the Commtech figure as the OTC version has a better color to the vest and the blaster wound is painted red, which absent on the Saga/Cantina figure  :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:28 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 12:37 AM »
Jayson pretty much summed up my thoughts on Greedo...

As a kid I called him Broccoli guy because I hated Greedo, and Broccoli.  He became a freakish Cobra experiment gone awry I think.

I like the VTSC figure and I can go either way on the vest...  I thing the sculpted one looks probably more realistic, but I'm a sucker for cloth on figures so I like the vest as it stands, and so I never replaced mine.  I have the Commtech and repaint of Commtech figure in the Cantina or with SE Jabba as random Rodians (there was at least one other in the Cantina, and Jabba had a buttload at Docking Bay 94 for some reason).  They're good figures I've not had the heart to retire.

I really feel the VTSC Greedo is flawless though...

Funky Cantina Dudes in their incorrect outfits?  I'd buy them.  Hell, even if they were kitbashes and maybe not perfect, I'd buy them I think. 

I'm curious now how you'll put Snags up...  Snaggletooth, the basic figure, is really messed up, not counting the Blue one even.  I love that guy.

I'd really dig a funky Cantina Dudes set though, but Hasbro's so wishy washy on the cool stuff sometimes...  I just feel like it's one of those things they wouldn't really put much effort into. :(  I'd dig it though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 04:58 AM »
I'm with you on the vest Jesse, somehow I've never swapped it round although I admit it's pretty odd looking. I wouldn't mind though, if they gave him some blue eyes like the vintage figure the next time he comes around. I don't know how accurate it would be, but for the nostalgia factor I'd like it.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:56 AM by Blaster under the pillow »

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 08:57 AM »
So...like the Commander, even though Kenner may or may not have screwed the pooch here...he's done, right?

If you try to follow the "Is it like the old Kenner sculpt?" model as determinant of whether the figure has been remade, then you'd need to conclude that R2-D2 hasn't been properly remade.  Because no modern figure has a head that looks like this:

It's just a bad measure.  Lots of Vintage figures were not accurate.  So saying that a character hasn't been remade because none match the details of the Vintage version is silly.  I think you need to judge based on whether the movie character has been redone.  Clearly Greedo (as well as the trooper in the Death Squad Commander photo) have been redone.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 09:21 AM »
I agree to a point Bill...I don't want an innacurate R2-D2 and I don't think anyone considers Greedo undone.  Where I disagree is on figure like the Death Squad Commander, Echo Base Rebel, White Bespin Guard etc where visual evidence does support the figure that the vintage figure is based on does exist in the movie...and thus is undone.  There is no evidence of the vintage Greedo and as you said, Kenner made lot of mistakes (Hoth Han, all of the Cantina monsters etc)

One interesting one coming up with this very issue is the Power Droid ;)

Offline Darthfloyd

• Youngling
  • Customizing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 09:55 AM »
One interesting one coming up with this very issue is the Power Droid ;)

Yeah but I think most everyone would love a modern repaint of the vintage power droid...lol.

I never was a fan of greedo...Not the character, not the figure, etc.  Still, I think the VTSC is pretty dang close for what you need.  Because there were a glut of these selling for $5 each, and I really wanted the stormy Lucas, I got a few of these, and the endor Han.  I ended up removing, repainting and placing an endor Han vest on greedo, and it works pretty well.  Of course, I use him in my Jabba's Palace dio, so its not exactly greedo, but its good enough for my purposes.

I always figured that the mis-colored cantina aliens were just a way to loosely do figs in brightly colored outfits that kids would want from that particular scene.  In fact, I remember the kids I was playing with at the time had multiples of each (there were 3 brothers, and their parents bought them each a set of figs), and they also had other figs, in the same scale.  At first, I thought greedo belonged to a different line.  (of course, being 2-3 and all, I don't remember really watching ANH til after watching ESB about 100 times).

I don't see why they couldn't do a Nebrun-Greedo now...they have both of the molds, so they may as well.  Then again, I'm happy enough that they're using the vintage packaging, so I'll take my nostalgia where I can get it.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 01:25 PM »
It's just a bad measure.  Lots of Vintage figures were not accurate.  So saying that a character hasn't been remade because none match the details of the Vintage version is silly.  I think you need to judge based on whether the movie character has been redone.  Clearly Greedo (as well as the trooper in the Death Squad Commander photo) have been redone.

You have to look at the source of the inaccuracy, though - the R2 figure, while looking a bit funky by modern standards, is obviously produced based on what R2 looks like. Greedo very obviously does NOT look like the vintage figure outside of his head and hands, and, as Scott pointed out, the body is a sculpt based on an entirely different character. Then there's issues like the DSC, which are likely based on discolored or inaccurate/ambiguous photography. I wouldn't lump R2 into those issues - that's more an issue of a cheaper/less detailed sculpt than anything else.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 01:53 PM »
I called him and all the creatures from the cantina in this wave "goofy guys."
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 02:19 PM »
I had a Greedo when I was a kid, but he had huge nail stuck in his chest so he couldn't do much.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 02:48 PM »
You have to look at the source of the inaccuracy, though - the R2 figure, while looking a bit funky by modern standards, is obviously produced based on what R2 looks like. Greedo very obviously does NOT look like the vintage figure outside of his head and hands

That's an interesting point...  It's the separation, to me, of what Hasbro was capable of, and what they flat out made mistakes on...  The brown-vested Hoth Rebels were in the movie and that's what the vintage figure was based on, so I don't consider him done.  The DS Commander was (to me) in the movie, and unique, but doesn't have a modern counterpart since I don't consider the Black suited Naval Troopers the same character.

The Cantina guys are often the result of Kenner not having the quality materials needed to do the figure accurately (Though how they goofed Greedo escapes me.  He wasn't short on source material).  The reason Snaggletooth is red and blue is a pretty well documented screw-up story in the Vintage world though, and so to me that's what they are then...  Goofs.  I still wouldn't mind figures of them since they're so significantly goofy, but that's me.  I don't lump them in with figures like the Hoth REbel or DSCommander though.  They're on a different level to me, in terms of what they represent.  They're characters in the movie that haven't gotten figures yet, accurate or otherwise.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 03:48 PM »
I'm totally happy with them making movie-accurate versions of the vintage goofs - I'm not too worried about whether they make a modern version of the screwed up figures at all. If they went out of their way to make a modern version of the goofed Greedo figure, I think that would actually be pretty stupid, especially considering it wouldn't very likely sell much. I would like all of the unmade vintage stuff redone for sure, though.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 06:59 PM »
I stopped at the Commtech Greedo.  The VTSC one came out while I was on a collecting hiatus.

I'm happy with what I have in my collection.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 07:38 PM »
I need to track down a Commtech/OTC Greedo for the vest. I've heard good things about the plastic vest on the VTSC Greedo but haven't actually tried it out myself.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks