Author Topic: Target "Attack on/Defense of Hoth" Big BPs  (Read 80619 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Target "Attack on/Defense of Hoth" Big BPs
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2010, 09:38 AM »
That's the way I've always looked at it, that the At-At drivers also drove the At-St's on Hoth and the At-St drivers also drove the At-At's on Endor.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2010, 11:50 PM »
I always viewed the AT-AT Driver's armor and chest box as something of a requirement for the vehicle, for some reason.  More than a contained heating unit deal anyway.  *shrugs*

I really like that the AT-ST driver's harness comes off easily with the new ball/socket torso design Hasbro's using.  It's neat because, in the EU, some drivers in the same basic outfit are seen with the harness deal on.  It fits with the notion that the "AT-ST Driver" outfit is simply the outfit of the Imperial Army Trooper (the basic soldier of the Empire).  It's a tad tall, but i'd buy a buttload of this guy if he were available individually.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2010, 11:59 PM »
BTW I also noticed that the Imperial Attack on Hoth set is flying...  the Rebel set, not so much.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #138 on: November 9, 2010, 01:20 AM »
Picked up another Rebel set...  I'm doing well on these and going to probably call it quits now unless they surface at deep discount.  At this rate though, there's little left here.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 9, 2010, 03:51 PM »
That's the way I've always looked at it, that the At-At drivers also drove the At-St's on Hoth and the At-St drivers also drove the At-At's on Endor.

Definitely - makes complete sense to me.  I can't image people in snow suits driving AT-ATs on Endor, or some other planet with a warmer climate.

As for the new AT-ST driver, I'd also buy a ton of this figure were he available in the basic carded format.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #140 on: November 9, 2010, 03:59 PM »
The thing is though, the AT-AT driver's suit is unique, but not really a snow suit...  It's just a jumpsuit with a helmet and chest box like a pilot has.  So is it "cold weather", or is it specific to the vehicle they drive since it's perhaps complex?  The AT-ST driver's uniform is a lot more simplistic, possibly because the AT-ST doesn't require anything more than a standard army uniform to hop in and go.

My only gripe on the AT-ST driver is his height.  He's pretty tall.  I'm still perplexed why they'd sculpt a figure from the ground-up when the Scanner Tech gave them 80% of the parts they'd need.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 9, 2010, 04:50 PM »
Decided to look this up, because to me their outfits always looked like they were equipped for colder weather.Imperial Army Pilot

AT-AT pilots wore their armor as a reminder of their combat history. AT-ATs were not climate controlled, therefore pilots sent to operate on snowy worlds such as Hoth wore armor with a heating unit in order to survive in the cold. They were dressed completely in white with snow boots, a jumpsuit with pockets, and an armor vest with straps around their groin and legs. Their helmets had polarized snow goggles for enhanced visibility and were adorned with an Imperial Army emblem in red. The helmets were connected directly to vehicle's computer, allowing easy monitoring of its vital systems.[3] A computer on their chest armor heated their suit and helmet. The survival pack worn by these pilots was an advanced design which enabled the suit systems and heater to run off a single power pack for up to five days without requiring a recharge. They wore driving gauntlets with a comlink for communication. These pilots were usually armed with a blaster pistol and grenades.

While they were not required to, due to the cockpit of AT-AT being pressurized, AT-AT drivers usually wore their life-support gear and armor as last line of defense, in case the hull was breached in a hostile atmosphere. The life-support gear and helmet worn by the AT-AT pilots were similar to the gear worn by TIE pilots, except for being light gray and some other small customizations.

I dunno... if they had actually shown a driver in the AT-AT on Endor, I don't think he would have been wearing a white uniform, perhaps more of the AT-ST jumpsuit, with a black or gray AT-AT driver helmet.  Just a thought... might make for an interesting custom.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #142 on: November 9, 2010, 07:58 PM »
They're not wearing a white uniform though...  They're wearing the grey jumpsuits everyone else is.  And if Snowtrooper boots are indicative of snow boots, then the AT-AT driver isn't wearing snowboots either.  Just a different kind of boot...  could be snow, could be boots with magnetic seals on them incase they have to leave the vehicle in a 0-G environment to work on the hull of the walker anywhere.  It's just as plausible to me.

For the record, the TIE Pilot's jumpsuit (and basically every other jumpsuit the Empire has) are the same style/pattern, and the TIE Pilot's is a pressurized and heated system for deep space.  So the jumpsuit could insulate you against the cold too.  I think it probably does, if you have the armor/helmet/chest box thing to go with it.

I've always viewed them as just wearing gear tapped into the AT-AT's more complex systems though, and that off-duty they're rocking the black kepi and black boots like a "scanner tech", for their downtime, and Gunners are rocking the black kepi ala their look in ANH on the Destroyer, and TIE Pilots are doing the same thing, and so on.  It's their version of utilities.

The red logos have always struck me as a bull**** thing too...  They're Imperial Army logos supposedly, but yet nobody wears them but AT-AT Drivers?  I doubt it then.  To me it's more logical they're the emblems of trained AT-AT drivers or of specific Imperial divisions or something.  No AT-ST driver sports them though, and nobody else seen in the movies has red logos.

The "AT-AT Drivers are in snow gear" just came about recently I think, as well...  Other material said it's the uniform of the driver, required for the vehicle...  The AT-AT's cockpit is clearly heated in some capacity as well, as Veers isn't wearing anything special but combat armor.  Also his breath wasn't visible...  My breath's visible in my car this month and we're not even out of fall.  :)

I agree though, that the AT-AT Driver's uniform probably would heat the driver's suit, and such.  It's probably ideal for cold weather, or all situations, even a planet without oxygen, or in deep space like on an asteroid's surface for instance.  I see it though as a necessity to lock into the AT-AT's system...  You can take it off, but operating the walker without it is pretty much impossible, ya know?  And it serves the purpose of letting the pilots take a walk outside in ANY atmospheric condition, or lack of atmosphere all together.

Hell, the Wookieepedia article says that AT-AT drivers were selected from, "Hardened combat troopers"...  Why?

Because people like to write things that sensationalize the mundane I guess, especially in Star Wars EU, and make things so complex it's insane.  ::)  Tank drivers aren't picked from hardened combat troops...  Hardened combat troops are needed for combat leadership roles.  AT-AT's are just basically tanks, with tank crews trained to run them, like real tanks get.  Some are better or more experienced than others, and they're hand-picked for leadership roles in armor combat duties and such, like the tank aces of World War 2.

Now, if the AT-AT Drivers were sporting actually all white uniforms, and looked like they were actually wearing special gear that looked like cold weather stuff, I'd probably think differently of it.  They really aren't though.  Their boots are different though...  I maintain that they could just have magnetic seals in them too though.  Like I said, it's equally possible I suppose.  The armor's white, but that's not foreign in the Empire either.  Even "Scouts" who should be employing some level of stealth wear the white armor.  Though I doubt the Imperial Army's regular divisions are so bold in the white armor, haha. :)
« Last Edit: November 9, 2010, 08:07 PM by Jesse James »

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2010, 08:27 PM »
The thing is though, the AT-AT driver's suit is unique, but not really a snow suit...  It's just a jumpsuit with a helmet and chest box like a pilot has.  So is it "cold weather", or is it specific to the vehicle they drive since it's perhaps complex?  The AT-ST driver's uniform is a lot more simplistic, possibly because the AT-ST doesn't require anything more than a standard army uniform to hop in and go.

My only gripe on the AT-ST driver is his height.  He's pretty tall.  I'm still perplexed why they'd sculpt a figure from the ground-up when the Scanner Tech gave them 80% of the parts they'd need.

1. Because tooling costs so much money, which is why the first vintage wave of 2011 is mostly repaint/rereleases.  :P

2. Because they really wanted another imperial to be in scale with the 30th Anniversary Collection Death Star Trooper.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2010, 11:52 PM »
But that's what I'm saying (in regards to 1)...  Why not just re-use the scanner tech, add some gloved forearms, and a new head/helmet?  Instead new dude. :)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2010, 12:43 PM »
I know, I was mocking Hasbro's absurdity.  ;) They always mention tooling costs. But then for an exclusive, they sculpt an all new figure when they could've reused parts, then make an entire  repaint wave of $8 to $10 carded releases.

Back on subject. I got the Defense set since it was $5 off. It's okay. But really for die-hards. The turret seems so hollow and static, because it is. It makes me realize why Hasbro doesn't do playsets.  I can see why the AT-ST (attack set) is harder to locate; it just seems more fun.  Also, K-3PO figure can't sit, not that he ever did, but I'd like the option to.

Piece of a greater picture (diorama), the battle of Hoth, the set is good. Just not sure that's a road I'll pursue (money and space)...I'll enjoy it more when it snows.  :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:51 PM by scockery »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2010, 02:22 PM »
I'll enjoy it more when it snows.  :)

I can send you some. Unless you want to come to the Twin Cities yourself.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2010, 05:39 PM »
I'll enjoy it more when it snows.  :)

I can send you some. Unless you want to come to the Twin Cities yourself.

Z'all right. Michigan gets plenty of snow in due time.

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2010, 09:31 AM »
I can't find the Attack on Hoth set dangit.  Time to hit the internet I suppose.

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2010, 12:37 PM »
Have you checked with the Target staff to see if there are more in back? I keep seeing these restock, I just saw 4 of these sets yesterday. Some stores are backwards too. I find one set at one store and the other at the next. In some cases I'm seeing both. I don't believe these are too limited but they seem to only put 2 of each set out at a time. I wouldn't panic yet until after Black Friday; even then you might still get lucky. With the exception of a handful of CW figures, the BMF Falcon and wave 3 VC I'm seeing just about everything at retail right now.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.