Author Topic: Target "Attack on/Defense of Hoth" Big BPs  (Read 80620 times)

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Target "Attack on/Defense of Hoth" Big BPs
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2010, 02:38 AM »
I have, fortunately, never seen the ol swap theft in my area, one of the benefits of living in a small city I suppose, we don't have a very large collector group, but I've seen plenty of reports about it online and it just makes me sad inside. I mean it's just pathetic on every level imaginable. They're toys! Of all the things to steal, a toy? Adults stealing toys, just....ugh, I can't even think of the proper word to describe how pathetic it is.

Back on topic though, I really hope these manage to make it up to Canada as they're really nice sets, I'd actually probably get em both if I saw them in person.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2010, 12:58 PM »
I'm rather surprised that Hasbro went witn an open-window box to show off the figures instead of the entire BP. I was expecting to see regular BP packaging.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2010, 01:15 PM »
Sadly Greedo it's not just the "Swap and Return" but the thieves have turned to simply cutting open the plastic and grabbing what they want. I've seen it done to basic figures and battle packs too.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2010, 03:43 PM »
We also got a new image today of the K-3PO loose from the Defense of Hoth Target Pack.

Clicky to check him out!

Love the articulation, though I wasn't disappointed with the last K-3PO we got and would've much rather we got a 2nd of the beardless Hoth Rebel here.  Especially since that figure's such a rarity now.  Even with the same deco, I'd have been ecstatic.  And K-3PO isn't even outside anyway.   :-\

It's a nice figure, but probably the lowlight of the set.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2010, 03:45 PM »
Here's a great example of something that I just don't understnd about Hasbro.  They are always talking about character choices being "aggressive" enough to make figures out of.  So why is K-3PO in there?  Why not put in Snowspeeder Luke, or a generic Rebel pilot?  Or they could have painted one of the rebel troops with a brown vest as a vinatge nod.  Or a snow covered Chewie.  Something exciting.

Believe me, I love K-3PO and was very happy to get him in the past, but if Hasbro wants to attack kids, make the sets exciting.

BTW, I like the boxes alot.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2010, 04:09 PM »
I hope Tunghori gets the Beardless Rebel. I will buy 10 on the spot. I am happy to get K-3PO with the BAD sculpt but to me he falls in the category of the AT-AT Driver, a figure that did not really need an upgrade yet.

I miss the blue squirt the POTJ version had. Love this set but I really hope he also gets in the AT-ST driver so I can properly man my fleet.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2010, 12:17 AM »
I can appreciate Hasbro trying to mix it up by including K-3PO in the Rebel set, but come on.  It was only 2008 when we got the most recent K-3PO.   And now this new version brings us to at least 3 releases of K-3PO. 

I really would have preferred another Rebel as the third pack-in.  And there were some easy options that Hasbro could have gone with.  A clean shaven trooper with the original Hoth Rebel Trooper helmet would have worked.  Or perhaps a Snowspeeder pilot.  Hobbie would have been a great candidate if Hasbro wanted to go with a named pilot, but a generic pilot would have worked equally as well.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2010, 04:49 AM »
I really hope this item hits retail in the UK. I've been waiting for that turret to get packed with some decent figures and at last it's happened. I agree with the comments about K-3PO though, I never thought I 'd end up army building him... but it looks like it's heading that way.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2010, 09:13 AM »
I prefer the box with artwork to those Ultimate Battle Pack dio scenes. Those look impressive, but I see "great, packaging I'll keep that will take up too much space", because I know I'll have to keep it. A more regular box can be folded down or used to store other empty packages  :P.

Yeah, there's the theft/swapper thing. There's also the benefit of being able to look at the figures' paintjobs, though the last time they boxed a figure that was unviewable was Grievous Wheel Bike, the only one I can thing of off hand.

I wish the packs had a bit more to them, like

Imperial set: another snowtrooper, the tripod laser, a second AT-ST driver with a different head sculpt, a super articulated wampa, the Force Unleashed Hoth bonus level  Sith version of Galen "Starkiller" Mark, new probe droid with atomspheric entry shell.

Rebel set: another trooper, a new taun taun, a recast of the imperial attack base with electronic lights and sounds (new sized footpeg), EU Dash Rendar in snowspeeder pilot gear, plus his snowspeeder.

And they should be $10 cheaper... ;)

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2010, 03:24 PM »
I wish the packs had a bit more to them, like

Imperial set: another snowtrooper, the tripod laser, a second AT-ST driver with a different head sculpt, a super articulated wampa, the Force Unleashed Hoth bonus level  Sith version of Galen "Starkiller" Mark, new probe droid with atomspheric entry shell.

Now THAT would have been cool. But Hasbro meant for these sets to be based off the movie, whereas a set like this is an EU source, and, well, Hasbro hates EU this year.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2010, 08:24 PM »
The only good thing about including K-3PO in this pack of otherwise army builders is that he's white, which makes him a very easy repaint into any number of different colored protocol droid. That's what I'll probably end up doing with mine.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2010, 04:51 PM »
I will be buying at least 4 of this set but definitely intend to customize at least one of the extra K-3P0's to have the blue splatter when he was destroyed. I cannot wait for these sets, I am very much looking forward to both.

C'mon Tunghori get in the beardless Rebel....
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2010, 12:09 PM »
I had only planned to build one squad of nine of the Rebel Hoth troopers when they came out last year, so with four of the dark bead troopers, only getting two of the defense sets should do me just fine. A Derlin type serves as squad leader until a tan vested version come out.

But again, these hit clearance, all bets are off.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:09 PM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2010, 11:53 PM »
Re:  3rd K-3PO in like 3 years.

I'll agree with you guys that think that another army builder rebel trooper should have gone in here, but would also like to point out that there are a lot of cool droids that have never been done that could have replaced K-3PO as well.  There's at least one unique Gonk droid (bottles on the sides), and 5 distinct astromech droids (red R2, black stripe R4, Yellow & black R2, yellow & gray R3, orange R2), that were all in the hangar and have never been made and would certainly been a bigger boost to sales than that overdone white 3PO.  Heck, they could have even repacked the multi-armed treadwell in the set since that was in the hangar as well, and while not new, is still more interesting than having extra K-3POs roaming around.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2010, 01:45 AM »
I'm kind of in the opinion that, since these sets aren't really having anything to do with the hangar though, they're even less appropriate for droids... of any kind.  That's just me though.  I really would've liked to see another Hoth Rebel Trooper since we've got so few of any quality.

Hell, he blew out here pretty fast in 2008 even.  Wish I'd seen probably another 20 more of him.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77