Author Topic: Target "Attack on/Defense of Hoth" Big BPs  (Read 80628 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Target "Attack on/Defense of Hoth" Big BPs
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2010, 02:12 AM »
If you check the DPCI's at the scanners, they'll tell you if more are in the back...  I've not noticed any.

I actually bought 4 and returned them on my old receipt...  $20 is $20 I figured. 

Then I went and applied the $20 to yet another Rebel set, one of the ones I returned, on Saturday.  Love the set.

But you're right Scockery, on the turret...  It is "hollow".  It's a very simple design/construction.  The radar cannon is probably equally simple.  For me, they're scaled right so I loved them enough to buy extras.  But they're as simple as the Lars homestead was.  Their size justifies the cost of tooling them of course, and how often can you resell either really, but I still loved them.  I leaned on the Rebel set then, but I'm obviously fairly biased towards Rebels.

From a practical standpoint, the AT-ST (which I didn't think was badly priced last year for what you got), + 3 figures (1 brand new to boot, and the other 2 very nice), and the laser cannon (lame as it is) really looks like the better deal.  AT-ST's for basically $20-ish.  Since I stocked up on clearanced AT-ST's last year, I didn't buy more Imperial sets.  It's a good deal to me though.  The better deal, really.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2010, 03:32 PM »
I think they're both great deals! 

Really, I should have bought another of each set when they were on sale for $35.00.  The past month or so was expensive for me though and I had to be a bit conservative with my spending. 

Maybe if they go on sale again, I'll grab another Rebel set.  I prefer it because I really enjoy the "stationary" items in the line, like turrets and what very few building enviroment pieces that we actually get.  I'd happily purchase more sets in the future that had any sort of environment pieces.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 18, 2010, 04:45 AM »
These were on sale here in Canada this week so I finally grabbed the rebels set. (getting the Imperial one for x-mas.) The rebels set really is fantastic though, great value, especially on sale. Even K-3PO which I wasn't really that jazzed about turned out great. I'm very tempted to pick up another set while it's on sale, the two rebels look distinct enough from one another if you swap the headgear, and K-3PO is easily painted in another color. Really pleased overall. One of the best exclusives in years.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 18, 2010, 12:11 PM »
Question on the Hoth AT-ST.  Are the legs extremely loose on this version?  Mine are as compared to my WM version - very difficult to get it to strike a decent pose.  Did I just end up with a dud?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2010, 03:54 PM »
The AT-ST's legs seem looser, but my ROTJ one's legs are all a little loose themselves.  I'd say this is almost likkely an attempt to make the joints a little less prone to breaking, as the ROTJ walker's joints can snap if you're not careful because they're too tight I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2010, 07:45 PM »
Interesting...I'll accept that answer.   ;)  I really dig how tight the legs on my WM version are, yes mine are very tight.  My Target AT-ST doesn't seem like it'll be able to accept the force of gravity much longer though....
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2010, 08:00 PM »
I've had my Target one up for a while now with a "camo net" over it.  So far no problems, but it's definitely looser than the WM one next to it.  I pose mine at the hind leg joint and at the forward "hip" joints halfway between a ratcheted position.  It allows them to stand movie accurately, a little more sturdily, and taller (which is good). 

It makes the Target one feel a bit sturdier to me though, and doesn' thave all that weight forward from the head leaning forward on the seemingly looser joints.

I really think this was an attempt by Hasbro to save the joints though.  I've noticed the WM one can break at the joints where they ratchet, rather easily.  The plastic is maybe brittle, but then stressing it to pose the legs is a bad thing if that's the case.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2010, 02:10 PM »
In a recent Q&A response Hasbro said the sets were originally planned to be bigger and more expensive. Hmmm....wonder what would've been included.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #158 on: November 29, 2010, 01:25 AM »
I was thinking maybe both sets combined into one super pack?

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #159 on: November 29, 2010, 12:23 PM »
I believe it was to include the actual Shield Generator rings. Through other Q&A's, SDCC, C5 & little tidbits from friends they alluded they had it worked up but could not get it to cost out. I think each set came with one half that would connect, it was to round out the Big AT-AT.

I would have loved it and gladly paid. I really wish Hasbro would start working in more dio's/set pieces it's an untapped area that needs to be explored. If they cry retail support they should take a page from Matty.com (minus the white screen of death) and do online only. It could even be a presale.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 29, 2010, 04:06 PM »
The shield generator would have been freaking amazing.

I'm totally down for more environment pieces.  For years I've felt Hasbro has been missing a golden opportunity...

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 29, 2010, 06:43 PM »
I agree with the desire for more "diorama" type pieces.  They can be pretty neat and add a lot of depth and dimension to a display.  At the same time, however, I can see where Hasbro may have some reluctance to make those sort of pieces.  They often tend to be costly and sell poorly, particularly compared to the action figures and vehicles.  Look at the mixed reactions that Lars Homestead set from Toys R Us got a couple years ago.  It sure was a lot to pay for a plastic shell.  I want to say there are even still one or two to be had at at least one of my local Toys R Us stores... 

For a comparative example from another toy line, during the heyday of 21st Century Toys super-realistic Ultimate Soldier 1:18 scale Xtreme Detail military line, they released a set or diorama pieces at Toys R Us stores, consisting of a bombed-out house, brick building, barn, and a fountain.  Each set came with the various building parts, a figure or two, and other accessories.  For any military diorama, they were fantastic pieces, but they were pricey and turned out to be very poor sellers, with most just rotting on the shelves at Toys R Us.  Diorama pieces just didn't have the appeal that the planes, tanks, and soldiers had and after a couple years, what remained wound up getting sold off at severe discount. 

Even with the wider appeal that Star Wars environment or diorama items would have, I doubt they would sell all that well in the long run.  Would they be cool as heck? Yes!  Would they be a good investment on the part of Hasbro?  Probably not.   
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 29, 2010, 08:00 PM »
I believe it was to include the actual Shield Generator rings. Through other Q&A's, SDCC, C5 & little tidbits from friends they alluded they had it worked up but could not get it to cost out. I think each set came with one half that would connect, it was to round out the Big AT-AT.

That would have been AWESOME!  I remember one of the answers coming back said that the Ion Cannon was out of the question, but I don't ever remember the question being asked about that thing.  Hopefully next year will offer up more Hothy goodness.   :)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #163 on: December 2, 2010, 12:22 PM »
There were some small rumblings at C5 and I have some...friends. I really liked the Lars Homestead (I bought both color versions) and the Sarlacc Pitt. I would really love to plunk down on more dio stuff, I think it looks great in my displays. It really is a missed opportunity, I think there are a lot of collectors like me that would happily pay. I would have no problem paying a premium for this since the cost/risk is high.

It would be great if they would revisit the possibility of Sideshow doing this. I just purchased some Chain Bases to create some Hanger scenes for my display, they are modular too. This really would be a great way to create the DS and other scenes. I cannot wait to get them so I can how how they are made.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 2, 2010, 02:00 PM »
I'm all about those display pieces too... but I think Hasbro has failed to deliver any sort of real playset in the modern line in the proper way to know either way if they would really succeed.  But it's frustrating to say the least that they haven't given in a shot yet.

And my son is only 3 years old, and already shows interest in the custom playsets that I purchased a few years back from Owen D... when we have friends over with other kids, they always are drawn to them too, and freak out... Hasbro really ought to take a second look at this sort of thing...

After all, Imaginext appears to be doing just fine with their playsets... and if Hasbro were to pitch a modular Death Star playset or some other cool environments as big ticket items, I doubt that the big retailers would pass them up.