Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread  (Read 149136 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2010, 10:57 AM »
Good points, I was thinking about it last night and there will always be that goofy name precedent from the movies, although it seemed to get worse in the Prequels, so I get that. I just think they've kind of taken it to a rather ridiculous extreme. I like cool, alien sounding names like K'Kruhk though...wish they went more that route.

And yeah, I do love the Zabraks too, and this could be a potentially cool character, and certainly a worthy figure. Just wish he had a better name.

If they are introducing new characters with an ultimate endgame in mind for them, that's great. I just hate to see continual cluttering of the cast with no occasional deletions. It gets unwieldy after awhile. Less screen time for the "regulars" and all that.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: September 7, 2010, 01:13 PM »
Cartoon Network has announced the first three episodes/names and synopses - SPOILER WARNING applies!

Friday, Sept. 17: "Clone Cadets"
Five headstrong clone cadets struggle to complete their training on the ocean planet of Kamino. Unable to work together as a team, they must learn to embrace their future as soldiers before they are drummed out of the academy.

Friday, Sept. 17: "ARC Troopers"
When the Republic learns of an impending Separatist attack on Kamino, Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi hurry to the planet's defense. Asajj Ventress, General Grievous and an army of droids rise out of the oceans of Kamino, determined to destroy the planet's clone production facilities.

Friday, Sept. 24: "Supply Lines"
Ryloth is under siege. Trapped on the surface, Jedi Master Di rallies the local forces with the help of Cham Syndulla. Desperate to save them, Senator Bail Organa and Representative Jar Jar Binks are dispatched to the planet of Toydaria, where they must convince the King Katuunko to send aid.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2010, 11:51 PM »
Clip from the "ARC Troopers" episode.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2010, 01:58 AM »
Holy crap, the animation is so much crisper and smoother alone in that clip. Very impressive work.

SW.com has a series of character cards that you can click on to see the bio of the character.

MAJOR FAIL:

Asajj Ventress is apparently now from Dathomir. And her species is "Dathomiri". What happened to her being from Ratattak? This is a really bad mess-up. Especially because now it seems that the whole story arc centering around her will support her "origin" from Dathomir.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2010, 08:04 PM »
After all these years....DVR is finally installed and set up to record the entire season in HD   8)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2010, 09:55 AM »
I'm officially geeked for tonight.  ;D

Can't wait to see Shaak Ti, Sgt Bric, and Clone Number 99. Looking forward to some awesome Kamino battle scenes too.

I wish they would do a late night repeat of this like they used to do.

And whose idea was it to release Season 2 on DVD AFTER the start of Season 3?  ::)

I would have liked to have caught up a little before the new shows started. All the major networks have figured this out long ago.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2010, 11:18 PM »
Interesting, two more out of sequence episodes. (Which means that the almost-phase 2 helmet appears even earlier than thought!)

Sgt. Brick's voice was not what I was expecting. And was that other alien from the cantina?

Grievous and Ventress finally meet.

A whole new type of battle droid.

There were really good shots, too. Or animations sequences, whatever.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2010, 11:29 PM »
Overall, I was totally impressed by both episodes. The action was very strong in both as was the narrative. It was interesting to see the origins of "Domino Squad", and life on Kamino. Clone "99" was a great character. 

On a side note, I swear there were times throughout both episode were I said "Ooooh, I want that as a figure" namely a Domino Squad battle pack and the new armor decos for Echo and Fives. I guess that is still the kid in me talking.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2010, 02:02 AM »
I was thoroughly impressed - and is it just me or did the 2nd episode almost make some teary-eyes for other viewers out there?

Quick thoughts:

- I love Clone 99's character. I feel bad for him when I realized the sequence of events in the timeline, that Season 3 episode 2 came after "Rookies" - and how that affected 99.

- There was no better way to show Ventress and Grievous meeting for the first time. No wonder she bowed to him in "Rookies" - she hadn't met him yet. Also, him running into her whipping some ARC butt was completely badass - it makes me like her even more. And I love that little expression she makes when Grievous reminds her HE'S the General of the Droid Army - not her.

- The lightsaber sounds during the Ani vs. Asajj/Obi vs. Grievous duel sound a lot like the ones from Vader vs. Obi in ANH - not the humming sound from ESB onwards, but the crackling sound only heard in ANH.

- Boy, do I love Srgt. Bric! His voice and personality make his character 100 times better than what I anticipated it to be - I'm so looking forward to the mail-away now.

- You can tell the animatics have improved by the more natural movement and fluidity of Asajj's dress - if I recall correctly, it's expensive to simulate clothing movement.

- Love the music played in Clone 99's brave "trooper" moment. :'(
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2010, 10:52 AM »
I also loved these episodes.  Fantastic animation and cinematography.  There was so much about these shows that I loved:

Loved the origin of Domino Squad.  I thought it was a very interesting choice to present these shows 'out of order' but actually with Rookies, these two complete a trilogy.  The bouncing around in the CW timeline is very interesting for a cartoon (and any show in general).

Loved 99.  I would like to see a figure of him, even if I can hear Hasbro saying how boring he is.

Loved Bric and Ellis (?).  Bric especially.  Says a lot about the Republic that they farmed the training of the clones out to bounty hunters - and that they farmed it out to a bounty hunter (Jango) in the first place.  That's why the show is so much more successful than the PT films; it's a cartoon that has all these layers and ideas under the surface.  Take 99 - he's a living representation of the ethical failure the Republic has made.

Loved Ventress.  Did she show up once last year?  Glad we're going to get a lot of her this season.

Loved seeing Echo and Fives in their new gear - instant figures - and also seeing a glimpse of Broadside, another figure we still need.

Loved the duels - very OT and much more interesting than any they've done yet.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2010, 11:35 AM »
I thought the duels were some of the best yet as well, very cool.  I like both episodes a lot as well, and you could see a bit of improvement in the animation.  They both looked great.  I agree with what Jeff mentioned earlier, I think that some who are dismissing the show in general are missing out.  It really outshines the PT in many ways I think too, even though it is a "cartoon".

I found myself thinking about what would make cool toys as well (99, Fives/Echo in new unis, Obi-Wan's underwater sub-thingy, etc.).  I guess I'm the type of customer Hasbro/Lucasfilm loves, because every time I think about cutting back a little more on buying CW stuff, I see the show and get hooked back in a little again.  Glad that the new season is underway though, and off to a great start.

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2010, 01:19 PM »
Very pleased with both episodes.  I'm really a fan of the "clone centered" type of episodes and these two did not dissapoint.  I found it interesting to see a little background on the clone training process as well as what happens to the clones that don't quite make the cut.  Developing the clone characters and making them seem more human adds to the tragedy of the Order 66 sequence in ROTS - not that any of the younger viewers make that connection yet ;) 

The duels were great in the episodes as well - Kenobi vs Grevious had an ROTS vibe to it, sort of like a prequal to that final duel on Utapau.

Neat to start seeing the appearance of Phase II armor on the clones as well as the appearance of the ARC-170s in the space battle alongside the Y-Wings.
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2010, 01:51 PM »
I enjoyed boh episoed....especially the tie in with Rookies.  I still don't like how Kenobi and Grievous meet up in this series....it goes against what we see in ROTS.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2010, 02:08 PM »
One of my favorite scenes was the talk with Shaak Ti and Lama Su and how they foreshadow the need for a new DNA donor.  That to me sets up a future episode...and brings up some interesting discussion.  As in who they are going to choose and why he is probably a bit less of a perfect donor than Jango...

I also really liked during the training scenes the overhead speaker going off every now and then.  Very Death Starish/Rebel Base :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 02:09 PM by Scott »

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2010, 03:51 PM »
One of my favorite scenes was the talk with Shaak Ti and Lama Su and how they foreshadow the need for a new DNA donor.

Yes, I thought that was a very key and important part of the episode - I had no idea that the Kaminoans were running out of Jango's DNA to use. It definitely ties into the OT.