Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread  (Read 149123 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2010, 09:54 AM »
I don't think it was absolutely neccessary to create an episode with Baron Papinoida.

Was there a character in Friday's episode by that name? If so, I completely missed it. Who was it?

Papanoida (Lucas' cameo character in RotS) wasn't in the episode, he was in the preview for the next episode.

It could be funny or it could be lame to see Lucas in there...  I wonder if he voiced his own diologue or not. :P   
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2010, 10:27 AM »
They showed footage of the Papanoida scenes at CV during the Secrets Revealed panel. I didn't hear much for dialogue but his scene were loaded with action.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 03:45 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2010, 05:32 PM »
It could be funny or it could be lame to see Lucas in there...  I wonder if he voiced his own diologue or not. :P   

Guess not...

"None of the Lucas family provides voice-acting for the series, however; Jett's doppelganger is voiced by Robot Chicken's Seth Green, while Amanda and Katie's avatars are voiced by Meredith Salenger (who also voices Barriss Offee) and Nika Futterman (Asajj Ventress), respectively. Lucas himself is voiced by Clone Wars regular Corey Burton (Count Dooku, Cad Bane) -- who based the character's distinctive sound on Orson Welles' Harry Lime from The Third Man. "
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2010, 10:16 PM »
DVR cheesed out on me for last week's episode.  Glad to hear it sucked for the most part.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2010, 12:07 PM »
Papinoida sounds like some kind of genital wart.

Good to see Seth Green make another appearance. And Meredith Salenger is always on time.  ;D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 1, 2010, 10:35 PM »
"Sphere of Influence" used a lot of characters but didn't "wow" me. Not sure what the point of some of these episodes are in the greater scheme of things, but that's me falling for the "preview made the season looks so great", like the opening credits of an 80's action show. (R.I.P. Stephen J. Cannell) It's true they can't and shouldn't be all epic battles. This one did almost spell out "THIS IS AN EPISODE 1 TRIBUTE".

All these non-combatant types experts with a blaster against people who should be better than them? Yeah, it's just a t.v. show. I know.

Ahsoka's a badass against droids but calls it quits when Nemoidian troops arrive. Not one to kill living beings? Heck, the Papanoida clan massacred a whole bar!

Also, our main heroes and villains are mostly bit players lately. That's okay, but I wonder if that reduces kid appeal.

Next week, yep, it's a Meg episode. I mean, a Padme/Duchess Sattee episode. Political intrigue. Taxation of trade routes. Citizen outrage. Debate. Hopefully more Lott Dodd.  He's the main villain this year. Ha-ha. (Go ahead and ask Hasbro if they'll make a figure of him.  :P )

« Last Edit: October 1, 2010, 10:36 PM by scockery »

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 2, 2010, 03:53 AM »
Well so far I can only say that I've been truly impressed by "Clone Cadets" and "ARC Troopers." I haven't been wowed by any episodes in particular since then.

Although the Baron Papadude episode slightly exceeded what I thought it would be, it wasn't thrilling by sorts. And I'm not really looking forward to the Padme/Mandalore episode. Throw Plo Koon or Anakin or someone with a lightsaber in there and it'll seem more exciting.

But for right now I'm looking forward to the Ventress story arc, mainly because I really wanna find out more about Savage Oppress.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 2, 2010, 09:48 AM »
Do kids really like cartoons about politics?  I sure don't.  I've said it before, but I don't care for these types of episodes.  Yawn
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #98 on: October 2, 2010, 06:29 PM »
I didn't particularly cae for the ep., but I did like Ahsoka's hovering Chi up so she wouldn't be caught.  I was at first confused why Ahsoka gave up to the Nemoudians at the end, but then realized that she probably Jedi-sensed their confusion and lack of direct threat towards her and the blue girls.  After all, they didn't start shooting at her or anything, and it was very wise of her to rely on old-school Jedi diplomacy instead of just cutting everyone on the ship in half, the way Anakin probably would have.  Not that that wouldn't have been cool.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 2, 2010, 09:10 PM »

Next week, yep, it's a Meg episode. I mean, a Padme/Duchess Sattee episode.

"Go on...change the channel. No one would blame ya"  ;D

I like Satine, but much prefer her interplay with Obi-Wan. Padme = B-O-R-I-N-G.

Last night's ep was ok. I'm not big on the political stuff either, but it wasn't as tedious as it could have been. I loved the glimpse inside Jabba's palace. Greedo definitely needs a figure now. And now they've got an excuse to make an animated Jabba as well.

Who was the wolf-dude with Greedo? Did he get killed? Or same guy we saw in ANH?

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 2, 2010, 09:27 PM »
they already made a animated Jabba

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #101 on: October 3, 2010, 02:23 AM »
Well so far I can only say that I've been truly impressed by "Clone Cadets" and "ARC Troopers." I haven't been wowed by any episodes in particular since then.

Man, you summed up my feelings perfectly. I have not been too impressed with this season either thus far. The last 2 episodes seemed like they were just ho-hum filler episodes. Neither really added anything to the overall story arc or gave me a sense of importance. The first two episodes were great, the third was kind of OK and this weeks Lucas was a real let down. It was nothing more than a vanity piece. (I do love how they stuffed Embo in the background at Jabba's Palace and did not even give him a speaking line. I also want to know how anyone can walk in Jabba's Palace without being questioned, it seemed like it was a bar not his Palace. What happened to the locked gate with the eyeball droid spouting all of that gibbersih?)

Next week's episode does not look too promising either as many have pointed out. Padme episodes are always boring and I am not sure how these play with the kids. With this particular show I am more than content with the "drop the anvil on the head instant satisfaction formula" of epic battles only. The deep intrigue in a half hour is too rushed to have a real impact. I expect some boring episodes but so far this season is not impressing me we are 4 episodes in and have a 50/50 split of good/bad. I really hope the 6th episode looks appealing because I am not anticipating next weeks Padme snooze fest to be good.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #102 on: October 4, 2010, 02:31 AM »
I just got to watch both of the last two episodes this evening, and I liked them...

Last week's episode with Jar Jar had a bit more warrin' than was made out by you guys.  There was a flip-flop constantly between Bail and Jar Jar trying to get TOydaria's support for the Ryloth Siege, and then the Ryloth Siege itself with the Nikto Jedi...  I thought the action on Ryloth was great, introduced some new Clones and a new Jedi, and it was cool how they sacrificed themselves for the Twi'Lek's who had lost faith in the Republic.  They got it renewed, but at a cost.  Kind of sad.

I liked that Jar Jar once again wasn't a big douche like in the prequals, but was actually kind of entertaining and a little interesting.

I also liked how the Trade Federation's openly playing both sides of teh conflict as well...  It's nothing for kids so much as it is for the adults I think, but it expands the complexities of the political landscape where the corporations and guilds and such are filled with as much power as a planet representing individuals.  This ties sort of nicely to the EU of the Original Trilogy where Palpatine puts a lot of corporate interests under the umbrella of the Empire so they're less politially influentially, and more or less part of military in a way.  It leaves all those other corporations, banks, and so on, out in the cold somewhat.

This Friday's episode was weird...  I like the blue people, actually, so seeing them expanded upon a little was neat.  I really like seeing the underworld of the movies explored in the toon a little too, but I really could've lived without Greedo showing up.  His backstory didn't jive with this really, though it could be made fit I'm sure.  I just like keeping my OT free of too many ties to CW3D is all, more or less.  As it stands the Falcon has shown up in the prequals, and Chewbacca...  OK, Jabba lives a long time, great, but every species but Humans lives a long time now?  I don't care for that too much.  I'd prefer they had some no-name hunter in there.  Or use Embo maybe?  Why not?  He's a hunter, not a hero.  The duality of those character types could've been played up some.

Either way though, I enjoyed it...  Plenty of action.  A small homage to Lucas' kids...  That's fine.  Next week goes back to Mandalore, and shows its deteoration since last season, and I'm ok with that too.  Rather than just writing the planet off as a short side-story or something.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 4, 2010, 02:41 AM »
While "Clone Cadets" was OK by my standards (I usually care more for episodes w/ lightsaber duels), it got extra points for tying in so nicely with the next episode, as well as with the "Rookies" episode.

"ARC Troopers" was flat-out brilliant.

"Supply Lines" is where it begins to decline. The action on Ryloth was great, but the episode really lost points from me with Jar-Jar's whole dining sequence. I know he's meant to be really goofy and all, but this was just something I would never expect to see in "Star Wars."  

"Sphere of Influence" shouldn't have been included in the season - maybe as a bonus episode for the DVD release, but this wasn't really a contribution to the show at all. I see this as Filoni's attempt to go for points by putting Greedo and Baron Papanoida in the same episode.

Next week's episode... Ugh. At least put in an anchor character (and I DON'T mean Padme!). Just like Hasbro action figure waves have an "anchor figure" that is usually the top seller of the wave, these episodes should include "anchor" characters that everyone wants to see in action. Not to be sexist, but, for little kids, a non-Jedi female-centered episode with lots of politics isn't exactly exciting.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2010, 02:43 AM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 4, 2010, 09:29 AM »
they already made a animated Jabba

Of course you're right, I meant to say "animated Oola", although technically speaking I'm sure it was not intended to be the same character.

Pretty sure I saw Embo again in that scene too.

Who was the Wolfman?