Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread  (Read 149132 times)

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 9, 2010, 02:33 AM »
Asajj Ventress is by far my favorite 'Star Wars' character in the entire saga - call me crazy or whatever (and, hey, Hasbro makes some pretty cool Ventress action figures!).

The problem with her in this entire TCW cartoon is that, firstly, she's not even supposed to be in it due to storyline issues that this entire cartoon series created, and, secondly, she's just in there as a filler villain. She has an entire backstory in the comics which helps develop her character and actually makes her useful. All we see her do in this series is talk smack and fight Jedi. There's no reference at all to her former past as a Jedi. She's just in here to add another villain in the show, which makes me wonder why Durge isn't in here. And another stupid issue this show creates is that Dooku's training her as his own apprentice - that's NEVER the case in the books and comics. She's just one of his sidekicks. And how can she have the capability to be able to almost kill Obi, Ani, AND Kit Fisto in the comics, yet not be able to kill Ahsoka? AND...! I think I'll stop here. ::) It's just so frustrating how this show has created problems for 'Star Wars.'

I'm so excited to see Ventress and Grievous' relationship in the upcoming episodes because 1. they're supposed to hate each other (as the books and comics properly show) and 2. they're always competing for Dooku's attention.
« Last Edit: August 9, 2010, 02:39 AM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: August 9, 2010, 02:51 AM »
Tartakovsky also wrote her in as not a Sith, and made it pretty clear that she's just a pawn...  Other EU slipped in similar characters (what's the guy with the long blonde-ish hair's name?  He hangs out with Ventress, and they think they recruited Voss as another dark sider...  And Aurra Sing sorta fills this category.

In the OT then, Mara Jade's the same, as is the "Vader's Apprentice" character in TFU...  Pawns used by the SIth with dark side abilities through limited training.  Even Maarek Steele in the TIE Fighter game is a force adept, used by the Sith...

Ventress just fancies herself a Sith, but Palpatine and Dooku are pretty clear with each other that she's just a pee-on assassin they keep around.  The only two true Sith are Dooku and Palps, so the rule holds true.

That makes me like Ventress then a bit more...  She's ignorant of her true purpose.  She's just a pawn in the game, and expendable.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 9, 2010, 03:28 AM »
Tartakovsky also wrote her in as not a Sith, and made it pretty clear that she's just a pawn...  Other EU slipped in similar characters (what's the guy with the long blonde-ish hair's name?  He hangs out with Ventress, and they think they recruited Voss as another dark sider...  

That's Tol Skorr - he came with Asajj in an '08 CP. And yeah, Dooku has plenty of "lackeys" like them to serve him, but it seems like Asajj has always been at the top of his list, although Sidious doesn't care much for her. The problem with the TV show is that Dooku has called her many times "his apprentice" - which could be understood as his way of manipulating her into his cause, even though in the original CW microseries he had to hand her her butt to prove she wasn't a real Sith - but the problem is that other TCW propoganda has done the same, which severely contradicts her true role. There's gonna be a lot of ret-conning to be done once this show has had its run.
« Last Edit: August 9, 2010, 03:31 AM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 05:57 PM »
Short teaser for Season 3 up at Newsarama.  Nothing we haven't seen before really, but it does give September 17th as the date for the premiere.  Not as long of a wait as with the last two seasons, so that's good.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 06:27 PM »
Wow, that's a month less than we usually have to wait.

Is it me, or is Dooku dueling Ahsoka in the first few seconds? Don't tell me she can actually put up a good fight. And I wonder how many more times we'll be seeing a Grievous/Obi duel or a Asajj/Anakin duel. I am excited though to see Asajj's standoff against a whole squad of clones.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 08:02 PM »
I don't know, it seemed pretty obvious to me that Dooku calls her his "apprentice" to appease Assajj's desire to serve them...  I mean, if he said, "You did well, my pawn who I'll probably have killed off at some point", would she be so willing to serve?

See, it all plays into her character too, in that she's very gung-ho and eager to become Sith.  She truly doesn't understand what it is to be Sith though...  That's kept from her.  She's Dooku's apprentice, so long as it serves Dooku's purposes.  She clearly doesn't seem versed in the ways of the Sith as her masters are.  Again, she's just a pawn.

She's often referred to by others as an "assassin" as well...  Not even too Sithy it seems.

I think all the EU jives then for the most part...  She turns up super early in the Clone Wars, possibly even having been recruited prior to their start, and she keeps turning up to do the dirty work Dooku and Sidious just simply don't want to do, like harassing Jedi.  Sidious even seems to be using her in a manipulative way against Skywalker, possibly (likely?) without Dooku having a clue about it.

To me that all jives then...  I don't see a need to have something go back and "make it fit" because I can't see the actual break in her character at all.

And yes, Tol Skorr!  I forgot that dude's name, but he's a total puss by comparison.  Maybe h's just not reliable?  That's why Ventress gets most of the work?  When's he eventually even die?

Can't wait for Season 3.  Love new CW toons to watch.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 12:27 AM »
Sidious even seems to be using her in a manipulative way against Skywalker, possibly (likely?) without Dooku having a clue about it.

I agree that she is used as a tool by Sidious (he even says this himself) to help make the war go according to his plans - but she also [unknowingly] helps him to make Anakin Vader - in a duel with him, she threatens to kill Padme, which really pushes him over the edge and causes him to torture her with electric wires and drop her down a skyscraper. :o I also like her so much because she survived that...

Oh, and in response to your question about Tol Skorr's death, Jesse, he dies at Quinlain Vos' hand in the comic series "Star Wars: Republic" issue #77. I personally didn't care when he was killed off - Asajj was always much cooler than him. What disappoints me though is that Dooku chooses to abandon Asajj and leave her for dead, which leaves him with Tol Skorr left as his last Dark Jedi acolyte. Dooku always had Asajj do his dirty work and was closer to her than his other acolytes, but he must have gotten tired of her. By the time Tol Skorr dies in issue #77, Asajj has been long gone.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:51 AM by Jabba the Slug »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 02:07 AM »
I figured they offed Skor...  Assajj seems to get more love.  Skor was a tool in what I read about him.  Be cool to see him turn up in the CW3D toon before his death, but glad they wrapped up his existance at least.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 08:13 PM »
Scum took some pretty damn good notes from the TCW panel at CV. A very good read.

A main point they make is that Asajj Ventress will play a pivotal role in this season - and she may interact a bit with Aurra Sing and show her arse who's the ultimate bad girl of this series. Very cool. Considering I'm a huge fan of all things Ventress, this was enough to make me shed a tear of joy.

Also something interesting was that they said that the line "There are heroes on both sides [Republic/Separatists]" from the Ep.III crawl (which Scum labels as from Ep.II ::)) will be explained more. A good tie-in to ROTS.

Also, a brand-new character - to the TCW cartoon, at least - that shows up is Saesee Tiin! A picture of him with Adi Gallia can be seen at the bottom of the article. I'm pleased to see him, especially since he was killed off in like a second by Palpatine in ROTS.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 08:16 PM by Jabba the Slug »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 10:54 PM »
Newsarama has a detailed write up of everything discussed at the CW panel today at CV.  I guess a number of clip, including a "mega trailer" was shown as well.  Also sounds like a new character (Maul's brother) will be introduced this year.  Reading through everything, really has me hyped for the new season to start.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 02:07 AM »
HOLY. CRAP. A whole story arc around Asajj Ventress? My dream come true. ;D What's pushing it, however - her mom is still alive, and a Dathomir Witch?! This is straight-up plain evidence that whoever's behind creating these character backstories (obviously not George Lucas) aren't paying attention to the other EU stuff - Asajj's mom is supposed to be long dead!

Cool how Sidious wants Dooku to eliminate Asajj, I wonder if this is what eventually causes him to abandon her for dead.

I'm so glad we'll finally be seeing Dooku use his lightsaber. He hasn't turned it on since the TCW film in 2008.

And my question about Durge was finally answered - I love that guy, but I agree with George's decision to make a whole-new different character - which turned into Cad Bane. Interesting how Durge was supposed to take Bane's place in "Holocron Heist."

And Maul's brother - WTF?! How is this guy even supposed to know he's related? - Maul was taken away as an infant! But very cool nonetheless. I just hope they don't get way too up in their heads about creating this guy that they inadvertdantly mess up a whole lotta EU material.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 02:04 PM »
There's a comic showing Maul as a child being discovered by Sidious, but not an infant.  He's pretty old, or at least old enough it appears.  That's actually in the Visionaries comic that was just out with the Maul/Owen figures IIRC.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 10:44 PM »
The "mega-trailer" that was shown at the TCW panel at CV.

This is really something. This is BIG! Darth Maul's brother, a pawn of Asajj Ventress, training under Count Dooku? It also looks like there will be a big battle between Asajj and Dooku. And apparently George Lucas' daughter wrote this Ventress sub-plot.

It looks like Ventress has a new outfit - the original outfit she wore as seen in the original microseries and comics! I'm crossing my fingers Hasbro makes an action figure out of this.

At about 3:01 into the trailer - if you pause it really fast - one of the 2 Jedi shown appears to be Master Tholme! This is a really cool tie-in, if it is Tholme.

The problem with this Kamino Battle is that it's already been done - in the comics. Shaak Ti, Obi-Wan, and Anakin were also present, which makes me wonder if this is the same battle, but if it's being shown for the first time on TV.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 09:40 AM »
Wow, just watched the trailer this morning and it was kick ass!  Love the Witches, love the Kamino battle.  Not sold on Darth Maul Jr yet but love that Sidious is controlling Dooku and basically letting him know that he knows he has these little pet Siths in Training

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 11:52 AM »
Just watched it this morning here as well, and it looks great.  Really psyched for the upcoming season.  Not sure about Maul's brother, but it could be cool and I'm sure kids will love it.  It seems like sometimes Lucas has a poor grasp on what is going to be popular.  He's often said how he  had no idea Boba Fett would be so popular, and was wrong about his role being so small and his death so quick.  To make up for it, we got Jango and now more Boba in CW.  Maul was probably one of...if not the....most well liked character from the prequels, and his role was short and sweet as well.  Now we get "Maul lite" in CW.  Overall though, the trailer looked amazing and I'm glad it is starting up in Sept. this year.