Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread  (Read 149466 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread
« Reply #390 on: February 19, 2011, 02:39 PM »
Another gripe I had with the recent episode is with Obi-Wan's character. He seems like he's too unconcerned about things that go awry. He's kind of seen as a "oh, well. I'm not too worried about this unexplained power outage" and willing to go for the fight. That's how I see Anakin and some of the other Jedi, who Yoda said were proud, etc. I've always seen him like Yoda. Goes for wisdom first, then action when the situation is dire... like the negotiator he is.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #391 on: February 19, 2011, 06:58 PM »
So Vader knew Han Solo would be fine if frozen...so why test it?

I also didn't know Even Piel was russian.   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 19, 2011, 07:48 PM »
Nice show with plenty of action!  I definitely don't miss the political hogwash.  Aside from all other comments I caught a bit of Scarface from the prison alien guy for some reason.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #393 on: February 19, 2011, 09:28 PM »
The carbonite use being questioned in esb makes me wonder if it's just not a common (if ever) used thing in Star Wars so everyone questions its use in ESB while Vader is confident it'll be fine because he obviously has used it before.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 20, 2011, 03:25 AM »
I also didn't know Even Piel was russian.   :D

And according to the Official Site, "he" is also played by a woman! :o
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #395 on: February 21, 2011, 02:11 AM »
She's a smoker I take it?  Or Herman Munster-ish.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #396 on: February 21, 2011, 08:17 PM »
An interesting video pertaining to the Carbonite stuff in last episode...  It didn't address the Hybernation Sickness though.  To me that was a bigger question than what they were answering.  I thought it was completely plausible that Vader had done that before, otherwise how could he be so sure?

Still though, no sickness answer but interesting nonetheless.

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 21, 2011, 11:54 PM »
An interesting video pertaining to the Carbonite stuff in last episode...  It didn't address the Hybernation Sickness though.  To me that was a bigger question than what they were answering.  I thought it was completely plausible that Vader had done that before, otherwise how could he be so sure?

Still though, no sickness answer but interesting nonetheless.

First of all Han was in hiberation wayyy beyond the timeframe it's meant to be used for and if the rules of biology apply somewhat the same as here - then the metabolism of an indivdual would differ and have a differing effect on each individual.

All of the persons in carbonite were only in it for a short period of time.

Would not be surprised if the above explanation (in more or less the same words) was tendered by Dave Filoni or George Lucas if they were asked this question.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 22, 2011, 01:00 AM »
An interesting video pertaining to the Carbonite stuff in last episode...  It didn't address the Hybernation Sickness though. 

I thought it was really funny the way he addressed it, he sorta sighed and said something like, "Something fans have problems with is...". I personally didn't think he addressed the issue well enough, he shrugged off the Ugnaught being there as, "Ugnaughts are the best carbon freezers in the galaxy."

Just saw the episode today, wow!, it was great, I can't believe Even Piell is voiced by a woman! :o It'd be interesting to see what she looks like...

Something I caught interesting was when Anakin said that if the Separatists caught ahold of the Nexus Routes (the hyperspace lanes that were so important), then they could gain access to Coruscant. If Filoni plays his cards right and ends this arc with the Separatists getting ahold of those routes, then it'll tie in directly to the original CW series and ROTS with the Separatist attack on Coruscant... seriously, I hope that's how this arc ends.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Phantom-like Menace

• Youngling
  • The hammer is my penis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 22, 2011, 03:11 AM »
I haven't seen the episode, and I haven't seen the note we're referencing that Even Piell is played by a woman. However, I know the original character in Episode I was played by a female actor in make-up as a male character. Could there be some confusion, and they merely mean the original on-screen Even Piell was a female while the voice actor in the episode is male? Again, I've seen neither the episode nor the note, so I could be talking crazy.
I hate softgoods!!!

You're making me apathetic. You won't like me when I'm apathetic. I get big, green, and don't give a ****.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 22, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Something I caught interesting was when Anakin said that if the Separatists caught ahold of the Nexus Routes (the hyperspace lanes that were so important), then they could gain access to Coruscant. If Filoni plays his cards right and ends this arc with the Separatists getting ahold of those routes, then it'll tie in directly to the original CW series and ROTS with the Separatist attack on Coruscant... seriously, I hope that's how this arc ends.

I was thinking the same thing...it would dove-tail nicely with the abduction of Palps. But even moreso I was thinking how absurd the whole concept of "hyperspace lanes" is...I mean, WTF? How is that even possible conceptually?

I thought it was a great episode..I really love everything they do with the backgrounds, landscapes, etc. The animation is really top notch in places. Agreed this was great fodder for new figures too...ARCs, Tarkin, Piell, the Warden, EV-9D9, etc.

The carbon freezing thing didn't bug me too much, and it was kind of a cool goof that they threw in the Ugnaught. i thought it was way more of a stretch that some impenetrable, high security fortress like that would just allow in an unannounced, unscheduled shuttle that just happens to show up with food supplies.

is there anyone else even imprisoned there? Seems like a big waste of money to design a prison to hold Jedi and just keep one dude there. From Anakin's comment, the Citadel seemed like something that pre-dated the Clone Wars, maybe even designed by the Jedi themselves. And they had at least 2-3 heavy cruisers orbiting above the planet too!

The only thing that struck a false note with me really was Tarkin, which was a disappointment. I don't think the voice actor really captured his inflection or mannerisms at all. Plus he came off as a complete whiny a-hole. I get they wanted to create some friction with Anakin, but it seemed forced and out of character to me. Maybe there is more to the story here though. I almost wonder if he isn't some kind of traitor or double agent. He seemed VERY keen on sticking with Piell so that all the info would be in one place and easily obtained upon capture. You could actually see his eyes narrow in anger when Piell rejects his plan.

Are they off this week?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 22, 2011, 01:05 PM »
Yeah, two week wait until the next part while they run some special stupid junk. Nice scheduling there, Cartoon Network.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #402 on: February 22, 2011, 04:28 PM »
Disagree 100% on Tarkin...  I thought the actor pulled off a great Cushing voice and the animators picked up on his eye movements from A New Hope really well... 

I also thought his interjections were anything but whiney.  He's confident to the point of cockiness...  That's hardly an unknown trait in him.  He questions his superior's orders openly because he feels he is right, and they are making a big mistake.  And it seems to me in some capacity they must be wrong since the next part implies they get recaptured or at least run into bigger problems. 

I liked the friction though between Anakin and Tarkin...  It showed that they're both sure of themselves, and both like to have control.  Funny how come A New Hope, Tarkin now is the one with the power, and Vader's a half a step behind him.

I do think the cargo shuttle could've been explained better...  Stolen codes or whatever. 

I think the Citadel format is great though.  Like I said, it's like one from Dark Forces...  Other prisoners are there, they obviously have big enough facilities and the Jedi had to go a distance to find Tarkin and the officers after they found Piel.  Who knows why they're there though, ultimately.  The Separatists have the same issues maintaining law and order in their own territory the Republic does, so they've probably got a lot of pirates, smugglers, and criminals in general in there...  So why would you see those folks ultimately?  I don't think Ani and Obi would want to open their doors and just let everyone out.

I think this may have been even better than Landing at Point Rain to me...  It's at least on par.  I was so glad to see the series get back to the formula I personally love the most.  I found the Daughter, the Son, and the Holy Ghost to be boring overall.  It was ok but just odd and a little boring.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 22, 2011, 08:23 PM »
I haven't seen the episode, and I haven't seen the note we're referencing that Even Piell is played by a woman. However, I know the original character in Episode I was played by a female actor in make-up as a male character.

Whoops, you're right - here's the Episode Guide with the info from his TPM appearance. I was wondering how the heck the voice actor could be a woman! :o Sorry about that.

There's no episode this Friday? Well, that sucks. It wouldn't be as bad had this been a stand-alone episode, but, as part of an arc, having it two weeks later is crummy timing.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 23, 2011, 09:07 AM »
I see there's another clip of Chewbacca's appearance on CW up online.  This one has a few flashes of him fighting some trandoshans.