Author Topic: K-Mart Legends Jodo Kast exclusive  (Read 55137 times)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Re: K-Mart Legends Jodo Kast exclusive
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2010, 03:16 PM »
Adam, do not get me wrong I loved theses sets, I am not being harsh just honest. I hope you do another set along those lines, even with boy band heads. While I liked the Joker Squad set it was too much of the same thing. The Mando sets were pure awesome and I loved every figure even the repaints. I was sad that you had no exclusives this year I have loved everyone you offered supporting them all. So I am a big fan of these.

With that said I work in the Toy industry as a Designer so I am just speaking from that angle and a fan angle. Even if I was lucky enough to get my head sculpt on a SW figure I would still scar it up. I have a Jason Strathom look so I already have a chromagnum brow and 5'oclock shadow with a shaved head. I would still take it a step further and make it look like I seen some battles. The heads do not do the bodies justice. When you remove them they just  look like an average 501st Convention goer and not battle worn warriors. The sculpts are nice just not Mando.

I am not questioning the integrity of the guys who these head sculpts are modeled after at all, I am sure they are cool guys. They just do not look like Mando warriors, that's all i am sayying. (The yellow chic is my favorite one.) I would have loved to see a Black Mando with a head sculpt like Heavy Duty and one with a claw scar across his face missing an eye. Still I was very happy with these!

So do you have an exclusive on tap for this year?
Not looking for specific hints just looking if you will have one.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2010, 09:55 PM »

god question - I hope so - I have bought all of the EE exclusive sets!  I think they are good.

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2010, 07:09 PM »

god question - I hope so - I have bought all of the EE exclusive sets!  I think they are good.

I'm not at liberty to discuss unannounced products.  But who knows, maybe Hasbro will drop or has dropped a nugget somewhere in their Q&As.  On a site.  Somewhere.  Maybe.  (Can't say.)
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2010, 07:31 PM »
<snip>
They just do not look like Mando warriors, that's all i am sayying.

I'd disagree, but only because Mando warriors aren't something we see a lot of.  I'll take "I don't like them" or "they didn't fit with my idea of what they should be," but we've seen very few unhelmeted Mandalorians on-screen.  (A one-off article in a magazine does not established continuity make.)  Jango Fett had practically pristine armor, and just a couple of minor scars-- which you really don't see when scaled down to a 3 3/4-inch action figure.  Meanwhile, Boba Fett looks like he got beaten with everything the galaxy had to throw at him.  And Pre Vizsla is pretty clean looking, including his face and armor.  (Since we see scars on Clones, this was likely not an oversight.)  So as on-screen appearances go, I wouldn't say the six Mandalorians in the EE exclusive packs don't fly in the face of most of the major film/video stories. 

Heck, even Tobbi and Fenn were pretty boring looking.  Tobbi was a thin bald guy, and Fenn's hair is pretty non-warrior-like.  (In some of the Marvel SW comics, I'd almost say he looked more like a Ken doll.)  Hondo Karr had some pretty wacky hair in the comics, even though he's from a different era he's just another blond dude.

While we did see some nice drawings in that one Star Wars Insider article, well, I basically give the movies, TV, and comics (in that order) as taking precedent over magazine articles and novels.  But that's me.

The nature of "Mandalore" has been pretty inconsistent from the get-go.  Marvel had one take.  The 1990s Expanded Universe sorta had something else.  I thought I remember reading, around 2002, that the Mandalorians were basically wiped out and Jango (and Boba) were pretty much all that remained, or am I misremembering?  And then we saw all these drill sergeants, which I thought were these under-the-radar guys, and then it slowly started creeping out that there was a whole Mandalorian culture floating around out there around the time of that magazine article in the Star Wars Insider.  And then all of that got tweaked with The Clone Wars last season.

I guess there's just so much material out there on these guys that, whatever you'd like to make as a case for your view on them, you can probably do.  Since there were no pre-existing interpretations of these characters, I have no real beef with how they turned out because Dred Priest didn't conflict with any existing Dred Priest stuff I saw.   Also, if you want to get technical (and since I'm here anyway, why not), who's to say what they look like?  It used to be that your average office tech guy was thought of as having glasses, a white shirt, and a tie.  Now you're just as likely to see someone with piercings and tattoos and maybe crazy dyed hair.  The whole preppie thing seemed to invade hip hop for a few minutes, so Mandalorian culture-- like any culture-- seems to be filled with lots of unique individuals from diverse backgrounds who, apparently, look a lot like your average toy company employee.  Good on them for keeping their helmets on and not getting too beaten up, which I believe was something that came up as a "Rookie Mistake" on The Clone Wars TV show this season.

So yeah, Star Wars remains open to interpretation.  Hasbro's interpretation certainly fits within the confines of what Lucasfilm and its licensees have previously established over the past 3 decades but I totally get that it isn't necessarily quite what everybody would have expected.  And it's entirely possible we'll see a new interpretation of the warrior clan come the live-action TV series.
--AP

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2010, 08:08 AM »
Wait...where do they look like your average toy company employee (other than the Hasbro action figures)?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2010, 12:47 PM »
Wait...where do they look like your average toy company employee (other than the Hasbro action figures)?

Look at Pre Vizsla, Tobbi Dala, or Fenn Shysa.  These aren't particularly disfigured people, they just look like some guys.
--AP

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2010, 02:02 AM »
A great loose shot of the K-Mart Exclusive Jodo Kast figure turned up today...

Clicky to check him out!

He really looks cool, and I'm again really thankful I did NOT buy the BAD repaint of him.  At the time I was pretty frustrated with what they chose as a base figure, and it still sorta bites, and I never would've expected a re-issue with a different better base figure this soon.

Very cool looking though, looks like a really sharp deco...  Can't wait to pick him up!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2010, 09:06 AM »
Has it been verified in which line this figure will be released? Or is it more of a standalone one-off?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2010, 09:35 AM »
Has it been verified in which line this figure will be released? Or is it more of a standalone one-off?

It's not part of the CW line if that's what you are concerned about. It's more of a one-off thing possibly in a series of bounty hunter exclusives available starting in the fall.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2010, 09:59 AM »
possibly in a series of bounty hunter exclusives available starting in the fall.

Hasbro nixed the "Bounty Hunter" thing in the recent Q&A...  I don't recall where (Bantha Skull maybe? I can't check since they're blocked here at work), but Hasbro said something to the effect that they did have a Bounty Hunter exclusive program/sub-line type thing planned but they cancelled it making Jodo sort of a one-off figure.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2010, 10:09 AM »
Yep, BanthaSkull:

You are hunting in the right area, but now Jodo Kast is a stand-alone figure. Originally, the Bounty Hunter theme was to be much more pervasive throughout the line (there were numerous from around the EU, for example).
However, this was pulled back a little bit as it became clear that bounty hunters were one theme among many in the Clone Wars. While numerous EpV bounty hunter figures were slotted into the Saga Legends line, Jodo Kast was not put onto a Saga Legends cardback because he is unknown to kids, and as such became a one-off type of figure.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2010, 12:01 PM »
That's actually a smart move. I'm much more tempted to pick up a one-off than if he was on a Legends card.

Wonder if we will really see him in July before the relaunch hits?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2010, 12:01 PM »
Looks good. Which one of you will be picking up extras for the "no K-Marts left in the state" folks like me? :-*
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2010, 03:17 PM »
I'll be keeping an eye out for extras as best I can Diddly.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2010, 03:42 PM »
Looks good, i hope to get one.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"