Author Topic: Marvel Universe  (Read 282478 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #225 on: June 18, 2009, 08:01 AM »
The SDCC one also has the "Swashbuckler" type boots and the carded general release figure has the lace ups.  Basically this CAP looks like the Comic Pack one that is coming.  I am skipping this exclusive too (unless I just happen to have a buddy in the hasbro line anyway)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #226 on: June 19, 2009, 12:01 AM »
If the Cap is the same as the Comic Pack version then I think I'll pass. There's also supposed to be a WWII Greyscale Cap at SDCC as well, but I don't think pics have been released.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Universe
« Reply #227 on: June 19, 2009, 01:33 PM »

Is that Cap any different from the regular release? 

There's 2 small differences that I immediately notice:

1.  The star on the chest is bigger than the regular release.

2.  There are wings on the helmet, the regular release does not have them.

Other than that it basically looks the same.
OK...it is slightly different but still incorrect as far as resembling WWII Cap.  The belt is the biggest gripe of mine (same with the stupid Secret Wars pack).  It would be like putting a Bespin Luke Skywalker in to a Return of the Jedi package and telling you that it is a Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker.  It is lame and a slap in the face...again I had high hopes for this line but it has been nothing but a huge disappointment

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #228 on: June 19, 2009, 01:53 PM »
I'm happy I didn't get into this version of the line.  I still have all the large stuff and still like it, though as I've said far too many times, the new scale is preferable.  But with them jacking around on stuff again, I'm not missing it.  We've also seen typical, terrible Canadian distribution so many figures haven't shown.  I don't need that frustration. 

I admit somewhat sheepishly I did buy the regular and black versions of Spiderman.  I could see myself actually picking up the Mary Jane figure they are supposedly doing, but I don't think I'll veer out of the Spidey stuff (famous last words?).  I'm really quite enjoying not buying toys of late.   :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #229 on: June 19, 2009, 02:08 PM »
I'm happy I didn't get into this version of the line.  I still have all the large stuff and still like it, though as I've said far too many times, the new scale is preferable.  But with them jacking around on stuff again, I'm not missing it.  We've also seen typical, terrible Canadian distribution so many figures haven't shown.  I don't need that frustration.  

I admit somewhat sheepishly I did buy the regular and black versions of Spiderman.  I could see myself actually picking up the Mary Jane figure they are supposedly doing, but I don't think I'll veer out of the Spidey stuff (famous last words?).  I'm really quite enjoying not buying toys of late.   :-\

I highly recommend Iron Man and Thing in particular when you regain your senses and get on this stuff.

Mmm.  Blade too.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 02:40 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #230 on: June 19, 2009, 02:40 PM »
I saw a couple of Blades today in the store, and wasn't too impressed.  The paint apps on the two I saw were particularly terrible, though.  Is it actually a decent headsculpt?

ETA: After looking at those pics, the sculpt is much better than it looked on the ones I saw, but I'm just not a fan of that vamped-out look, I guess.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 02:44 PM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #231 on: June 19, 2009, 02:45 PM »
Pass on all of those, sense or not.  I have the Trench Coat version of Thing that I prefer over that and the first ML Iron Man, so no need.  Blade has never been of interest to me. 

I've passed the point of duplicating figures I have in a different scale (thankfully).

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #232 on: June 24, 2009, 09:47 AM »
Legends returning in 2010?

It sounds like we could see as many as 18 Legends figures for next year at next month's SDCC, we shall see.  I'm someone who has been buying a lot of the Marvel Universe stuff, and I do enjoy it.  It is much easier to display, and it would have almost been nice if it had started in this scale.  That being said, as Brent sort of mentioned above, I'm starting to feel sort of silly having two Marvel displays set up - one with the Legends (which I don't want to pack away really), and one with the Universe stuff.  One scale or the other is probably how I should go.  I bought the first three waves for the most part, but I've since switched to picking and choosing.  I'll probably always pick up the Spidey-related stuff either way, and likely the Secret Wars comic packs as well - I'm on the fence with the rest.  Not that it isn't nice stuff, many of the figures are quite well done, but overall it is getting tougher to justify having all these different toys ;).

Speaking of Marvel Universe, CoolToyReview has an exclusive preview and interview up concerning the line.  Some pretty good info in there, as well as preview pics of the WM exclusive "Gigantic Battles" sets - Cap (Bucky) vs Skrull Giant Man and Iron Man (pointy mask) and Goliath (two paint versions).

Edit:  I see there are more details concerning Legends (and a few pics) over in this thread at the Fwoosh.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 10:23 AM by Brian »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #233 on: June 24, 2009, 03:31 PM »
Love the Giant Man/Iron Man packs - those will be must have's for me.  The Cap set with Skrull would have been a keeper if it was giant hank pym instead of some random skrull dude.

Did I see correctly at Fwoosh that there is going to be a build-a-quinjet?!  Woot???  Gimme Gimme!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #234 on: June 25, 2009, 02:54 PM »
Ugh, I'm hating polls more and more.  There's a limited number of figures I still want and repaints of already released characters really don't fit that category for me.  And there's little need these days to complain about missing figures from early or past waves given how little most figures generate on ebay (sure, Toad is an issue but most beyond that aren't really, otherwise I'd sell most of my stuff and switch to the smaller scale if I could make my money back). 

Distribution is an issue though, that much is certain.  I still like the Legends original scale and I've seen some really neat stuff in the smaller scale.  I was tempted by the Hand Ninja and going this scale and selling off my Deadpool would have some limited appeal  ;)  I think it's well done, but aside from a very occasional figure, I'm still out.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #235 on: June 26, 2009, 11:32 AM »

Did I see correctly at Fwoosh that there is going to be a build-a-quinjet?!  Woot???  Gimme Gimme!

Nope.  The BAF Absorbing Man, QuinJet and Darkhawk were all Toy Biz items that never got made.

Me?  I'm somewhat excited that 6" Legends are returning.  I have not bought one small scale figure and intend to keep it that way (although I might pick up some of the Gigantic Battle ones that'll fit in with the 6" scale.  The little figure will either go to my son, in the trash or strapped to a rocket ala Sid from Toy Story).  The new Legends shown aren't all that exciting to me, however.  I would much rather have Warpath and Mutliple Man in their classic outfits and Lady Bullseye is too new.  I can think of at least 10 classic females I'd rather have than her - Enchantress, Firestar, Mockingbird, Valkyrie, Dagger, Mary Jane, Polaris, Typhoid Mary, Magik, Snowbird, Aurura, etc.  Hell, I'd even take an Aunt May before her.

I'm more excited for the DCUC stuff that's rumored to be coming.  Wave 11 looks to be a Green Lantern heavy wave.  That's fantastic.  The recent run on GL and GLC kicks all kinds of ass and Blackest Night is looking to be epic. 
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #236 on: June 27, 2009, 10:04 AM »
I'm more excited for the DCUC stuff that's rumored to be coming.  Wave 11 looks to be a Green Lantern heavy wave.  That's fantastic.  The recent run on GL and GLC kicks all kinds of ass and Blackest Night is looking to be epic. 

I'm in the same boat Mikey.  I'm really looking forward to some of the upcoming DCUC stuff.  Also, the GL comics have been great lately, and I'm really looking forward to Blackest Night as well.  I'm happy to see that Legends might be returning though.  I've been one (of the few, it seems) that have been buying quite a bit of the Universe stuff - but I'm kind of wavering on where to go from here.  I really like the scale, but it seems weird displaying the tiny MU line alongside the larger scaled DCUC.  Of course, I still have most of my Legends displayed too - but it seems silly to have two Marvel lines taking up space in an already crowded room ;).

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Marvel Universe
« Reply #237 on: July 2, 2009, 06:36 PM »
From Hasbro press release today:

"There's a new wave of Marvel Legends 2 Packs on the way in 2010 and you help to decide who's in them.  The basics are simple - six total characters, you pick three and we pick three.  Sound like fun?  Voting for this all new Fan's Choice will start on July 22nd when we reveal all of the possible choices at San Diego Comic Con.  Some of them you might expect to see, some of them might take you by surprise, but you can bet your Sweet Aunt Petunia that they all could make a great addition to your Marvel Legends collection!  We've sent along three images to give you a small taste of what's in store.  Enjoy!"

And the images (clicky for a better look):

Multiple Man

Warpath

Lady Bullseye
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #238 on: July 2, 2009, 10:32 PM »
Warpath! Holy crap!
I remember my dream now.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #239 on: July 2, 2009, 11:38 PM »
Aunt May
Comic Mary Jane
Robbie Robertson
Tombstone

That's all I need (well, I'd take a Gwen Stacy) ;)