Author Topic: Marvel Legends  (Read 424037 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1755 on: February 16, 2006, 03:51 PM »
Screw Amazon, I'll take care of things myself ::)

Found ML12 today at the store.  Like an idiot, I bought one of each because I found the variant case, so I decided (I believe entirely hypocritically) to build an apocalypse.  Worse, I already had a Sasquatch and a Wolverine from previously. 

So I have the following to trade or sell if anyone's interested:

loose regular Sasquatch
loose Wolverine
loose purple X-23
loose Maestro
Apocalypse right arm
Apocalypse left leg
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1756 on: February 16, 2006, 07:18 PM »
Toxin-Spawn of Carnage, and ultimatley, his bane of existance. He's a real pain in the ass to Carnage, and Venom loves the hell out of him just because it pisses off Carnage. Toxin is an ex-cop who left his family to go figure out what to do after being infected by the symbiote. He apeared frist in Venom Vs. Carnage.

His toy looks pretty spot on.

Onslaught figure-Pass. How lame. I was expecting so much more from this BAF. How dissapointing.

And what the HELL is that Venom? Kill it now.

Kehvin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1757 on: February 16, 2006, 10:47 PM »
I see, like Carnage before him, he appears to be a lame rip off of an overused idea

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1758 on: February 16, 2006, 10:52 PM »
I see, like Carnage before him, he appears to be a lame rip off of an overused idea

At least he's not a clone.  Wait....

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1759 on: February 16, 2006, 10:56 PM »
Does anyone here really think Hasbro is going to continue Marvel Legends?  Just on a size of the figures alone I can't see them making them

Plus add in the fact that that they paid for this license, if they do continue Legends in a pseudo form, look for $10-$12 figures.  While I'll pay that for certain things, I really can't justify that for as much as I used to

Being this is the only other line I am currently actively collecting, I hope it does sort of die and then I'll focus on will be 3-3/4" Never before made SW figures and supreme resculpts :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1760 on: February 16, 2006, 11:00 PM »
I'm not overly concerned, there's little left I want made (She-Hulk >:().  I think they'll continue, only because they see $$ potential in the line.  It's pretty hot.  I've not seen a lot left sitting on the shelves here from just about every series.  The only stuff that was cleared was Namor and some others from series 2.  Otherwise they all just go away, even all of the Wolverine stuff.  Well, especially the Wolverine stuff. 

As for price point, I picked up all of ML12 today as mentioned earlier, with taxes 6 figures cost $88 CAD :o  Thank goodness four were variants.  Canadian retail sucks.   >:(  I think with the US's weaker dollar relative to other world currencies, you might be seeing a price hike too. 

While I'll pay that for certain things, I really can't justify that for as much as I used to
Amen.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1761 on: February 17, 2006, 12:18 AM »

I disagree. I think he's a very unique charachter, once you get over the Symbiote. He's not a villain, he's a hero. Plus, he's freakin' COOL looking.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1762 on: February 17, 2006, 02:29 AM »
Does anyone here really think Hasbro is going to continue Marvel Legends?  Just on a size of the figures alone I can't see them making them

Plus add in the fact that that they paid for this license, if they do continue Legends in a pseudo form, look for $10-$12 figures.  While I'll pay that for certain things, I really can't justify that for as much as I used to

Being this is the only other line I am currently actively collecting, I hope it does sort of die and then I'll focus on will be 3-3/4" Never before made SW figures and supreme resculpts :)

If they do continue them in the 6" scale, I'll gamble they won't be super-articulated or come with a comic book.

But I'm sure the person at Hasbro in charge of the Marvel property will get a cob up his ass to "put his own mark" on the line, and change the Legends formula by either a scale change or articulation reduction.

I fear this only because Hasbro took the 7" Unleashed line, which had high collector interest, and ended in favor of those 2" boogers. It's still baffling to me.

I think TB is doing their damnedest to finish up everyone's wish list this year just in case. I can't wait to get that Mojo BAF.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1763 on: February 17, 2006, 10:29 AM »

Being this is the only other line I am currently actively collecting, I hope it does sort of die and then I'll focus on will be 3-3/4" Never before made SW figures and supreme resculpts

I'm kind of curious to see what they will do as well.  I mean, as Brent mentioned, the line is just crazy hot this year...and really has been for the most part since it started.  Most of the figures fly off the pegs here, although our local WM has quite a bit of Series 10 sitting on the pegs now.  They usually end up slowly getting bought up though.  I'm kind of of the opinion that I would be ok if the line came to an end after this year too.  Not that I have to buy anything more, but if there wasn't anything more out there I wouldn't be as tempted.  I have kind of thought about what Ben mentioned, it does seem like TB is doing all they can to get a lot of figures out this year that people have been clamoring for.  I think there will always be a few more that we've been hoping for, but overall, if it ended (at least in its current form) by the end of this year, I could be happy with what we've gotten.

That said, you would think Hasbro would continue this in some way...unless they are just obsessed with the movie franchises as part of this license.  Legends as a brand has become so popular, you would think they would want to continue it.  I could also see Hasbro putting their own stamp on things, and changing it up.  Maybe even starting from scratch with a new line.  Something that encompasses the whole Marvel U like Legends did, but something a little different...scale, articulation, or whatever.  Unless it is something pretty amazing, I think I'll just be happy with the Legends and Classics we have gotten from Toy Biz.  We've gotten a lot of different characters/figures, and some I never thought we'd see made, so I could be happy with it.  One less line to chase after, even if it is by choice :P.

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1764 on: February 17, 2006, 10:50 AM »
I think Hasbro will continue the line. I mean, if they were going to just axe it, why did they buy it in the first place?

Like Brian said, ML is HOT. Its definitely one of the hottest lines out there now. Heck, I think a couple years ago ToyFair named it one of the best toy lines ever.

Hasbro is a corporation. While they've screwed up royally in the past, I don't think they will let a cash cow like ML go to waste.

I guess what I'm saying is that if we all can foresee problems ahead, Hasbro probably can too. I'm not going to fret and get worked up until I see proof that they are changing the line.
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1765 on: February 17, 2006, 12:09 PM »
I think Hasbro will continue the line. I mean, if they were going to just axe it, why did they buy it in the first place?

So they can re-launch it with a brand new scale to try to get collectors to re-buy everything they already have, only in a different scale?   :D

Like Scott pointed out, when a new guy gets in charge, they want to "make their mark" and change things up.  Not to be a downer or a pessimist, but it wouldn't be Hasbro if they didn't change it all up...

I think they bought the Marvel License for 2 or 3 reasons -

1. Because the popularity of Spider-Man.  They probably miss the cash cow that Batman was for them, they see this as a chance to get back into the game.

2.  Because of all the upcoming Marvel Movies - Spidey-3, FF4-2, and more.  Movies = retailer space.

3.  To a lesser extent, they probably bought it so Mattel couldn't.  I'm sure they didn't want Mattel to end up with BOTH Marvel and DC, essentially locking them out of Superheroes stuff altogether.  With SW movies in the past, they needed something more to bolster TF and GIJoe and this gives them that.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1766 on: February 17, 2006, 12:31 PM »
I think the Marvel movies, and also the possibility of future cartoons (F4 is on the way) is a big reason.  We all know that the toy companies say that kids drive the sales, and in these types of cases, they do.  We see it in Star Wars as well.  In non-movie years, I hardly ever see kids looking at Star Wars stuff...but in movie years, especially last year, for the first time I saw kids more than I saw collectors.  I still see kids looking this year, but I think that will slowly taper off as the movie gets further away.  I personally don't have any kids, but going by our nephews, cousins, and just kids in the aisles...I don't know that there are many (or any) action figure lines that kids are interested in at all that aren't tied to either a movie or cartoon show.  I think, like Jeff said, that's what Hasbro is looking at.  Spidey, F4, X-Men, Hulk, etc. could or will have movies and/or toons coming out over the next few years, and that's when the kids are in the aisles in full force.

That's one thing I've noticed with Marvel Legends, I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen any kids looking at those in the store, let alone buying any.  The classics lines, particularly Spider-Man, yeah..sometimes.  But, when the movies are out, its a big draw to the "movie lines".  I saw kids looking at the Spidey stuff all the time, and even with Fantastic Four, which wasn't quite as much of a "big deal" movie wise got a lot of attention from the kiddos, at least around here.  Not on the level of Spider-Man, but more than Marvel Legends sees.  I guess, overall, even though I wish it was different...kids just aren't interested in comics anymore, unless it is in movie or toon form.  Its too bad, because I think many of us grew up reading comics, but its more of a video game/electronics generation now.  Heck, I don't think I even had a TV in my room growing up until 6th or 7th grade, and even then it was an old "junker" that was used for Nintendo only basically.  Now I have cousins/nephews/friends' kids who have them at 4 years old or so - sometimes with Xbox/PS2 level gaming systems, DVD players, or even cable/satellite.  Crazy.

That being said, its tough to see where things will head.  I could see a scale change, or at the very least a line revamp.  With a few exceptions, the Legends line is really getting into lesser known territories character-wise, and I can't see Hasbro launching their first few waves without a basic Spider-Man, Wolverine, Hulk, Iron Man, Cap, etc. leading the way.  Or, they could change things entirely and focus in on movies and cartoons.  I know the press release announcing the Marvel/Hasbro deal seemed to zero in on Spider-Man 3 (and beyond) as well as the Ghost Rider movies.  It'll be interesting to see what happens.

On a total un-related note, but I something I forgot to bring up earlier in this thread.  I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or not, but the SuperHero Showdown/Marvel Showdown figures have really seemed to be selling well around here.  I haven't bought anymore myself, but I know the pegs at Target are bought down to empty fairly regularly and WM is often the same.  Maybe its just my area, but this line seems to be taking off more that it is available in the other retailers.  Just an observation.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1767 on: February 17, 2006, 01:14 PM »
I guess, overall, even though I wish it was different...kids just aren't interested in comics anymore, unless it is in movie or toon form.  Its too bad, because I think many of us grew up reading comics, but its more of a video game/electronics generation now.

I agree that games are dominant, we've all said it often, but part of the reason is the comics drove away the kids market.  I'm sure Scott can echo the sentiment, but when I started collecting comics back in around 1984 the cover price was just under a dollar for the more common titles like Detective Comics or Amazing Spiderman.  I collected comics for about 8 years, buying them because I liked reading them.  As the secondary market improved for them, comic publishers decided they wanted a portion of that market so out came the variant covers, holofoil covers, pack in cards (sound familiar?).  At the same time prices started to climb and for those variations were often around $5 by the time I stopped collecting. 

Recently I was reading a comic at Walmart and thought it was pretty good.  I was going to pick it up until I looked at the cover price - $9.95 :o  Now that's Canadian, but I think the USD price was $7.95.  For a nice, well written comic, well drawn and on higher quality paper than I grew up with.  But who cares?  I can buy a Maxim or a Marvel Legend or a star wars figure or a six pack of beer for that price.  As a parent, it's highly doubtful I'd buy one for my kid at that price.  If I buy 5 of them I've paid the same as I would have for a video game and the kid would get a whole lot more enjoyment from that for a longer period of time.

Heck, I don't think I even had a TV in my room growing up until 6th or 7th grade, and even then it was an old "junker" that was used for Nintendo only basically.
Either I'm old or came from a poor family.  LOL but I never had a tv in my room.  Ever. 

Now I have cousins/nephews/friends' kids who have them at 4 years old or so - sometimes with Xbox/PS2 level gaming systems, DVD players, or even cable/satellite.  Crazy.

Crazy is the right word for it.  I've no problem with kids playing games or watching tv's/movies, but putting something like that in a kids room where it's largely unsupervised just ain't that bright, IMO.  I remember being a kid and if anything was taboo, I was there, right now, trying to get at it.  Kids don't change, parents do.  Our daughter has asked for a tv in her room already and we said no.  Her reasons were pretty good too, she doesn't like going to the basement to watch tv by herself, so in the morning she gets one of us up.  We like sleep and she wants to be awake.  Her rationale was so that she could just watch tv and we could sleep without being disturbed.  Smart kid.  We still said no because we knew she'd wake up at 3 am and start watching - not good for a kid in school.

Anyway that's largely off topic, sorry.  Just wanted to respond to a few comments that caught my eye. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1768 on: February 17, 2006, 04:05 PM »
I agree that games are dominant, we've all said it often, but part of the reason is the comics drove away the kids market.  I'm sure Scott can echo the sentiment, but when I started collecting comics back in around 1984 the cover price was just under a dollar for the more common titles like Detective Comics or Amazing Spiderman.  I collected comics for about 8 years, buying them because I liked reading them.  As the secondary market improved for them, comic publishers decided they wanted a portion of that market so out came the variant covers, holofoil covers, pack in cards (sound familiar?).  At the same time prices started to climb and for those variations were often around $5 by the time I stopped collecting.

Excellent points Brent, as always.  I think price definitely hurts the business as well.  I just started getting back into comics in the past few years or so, and I know I'm already considering what I have the budget to collect when they are around $3 each (or more) for a single issue.  That's probably one of the reasons why we've seen such a pick up in the TPB market, since that is a cheaper (and easier) option overall.  Its too bad too, because I really look back fondly on picking up comics here and there when I was a kid.  I remember being able to get them at our local drug store, for less than $1.  Its crazy sometimes looking at those comics now and seeing the ads in there for subscriptions, for $10-$12 a year.  Man I wish prices were still like that :P.  I agree with you about the tv stuff too.  I don't have any problem with kids playing video games (age appropriate) and watching tv/dvds, but it should be able to be supervised.  Like you said, what's to stop a kid from turning tv on in the middle of the night, or even watching something they aren't supposed to (if they have cable/satellite).  I remember when my parents let me have a tv in my room, it was a very old one that my grandpa had fixed up to get working again...and after having the Nintendo hooked up to a small tv in our kitchen (and always being in the way because of it), they finally let me have that in there.  I think it got one station, quite fuzzy, so it wasn't ever used for anything but Nintendo.  This was in 7th or 8th grade now that I think about it, because I didn't get a Nintendo until a year or two after they first came out.  Anyways...back on topic :).  Good points though Brent.

I was just thinking about this more, and if Hasbro doesn't continue the Legends (or Legends-style) line, I wonder if it will be more of a switch over at retail and in kids' eyes to DC stuff.  If Mattel ends up getting the license for the whole DC universe with their "DC Superheroes" line, there should be a lot more than Superman/Batman stuff on the pegs in 2007.  That, plus the fact that the Batman and Superman movie franchises are starting up again and there have been rumors of Wonder Woman and the Flash (yay) as well might lead to more interest in DC if there isn't Marvel stuff available.  That might not be the case though, since we still have more Spidey movies on the way, not to mention F42 and others.  I did read today that writers/producers are saying that X3 is the end of the X-Men movies, as a trilogy.  Maybe they'll start a new "story", or maybe they'll go more towards the spinoffs.  Anyways....back to Marvel Legends now :P.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1769 on: February 18, 2006, 12:09 PM »
Quick question: which X-23 is the variant, black or purple?