Author Topic: Marvel Legends  (Read 409693 times)

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2595 on: March 29, 2007, 01:06 PM »
Yeah ! Here you go ! I know I want these !

I'd love a set of these too but unfortunatly there are none in my area and they all seem to be on ebay. They say these were limited to 3,000pcs and I find that hard to believe with an exclusive, Hasbro figure. If I can't find one at retail I'm not messing with them. They seem to go for about $10-$15 on ebay right now. Something just doesn't seem to add up on these. Limited to 3,000 but no one is really jumping on them on ebay? They have to be more common or else no one really seems to care about these.

One of the Wal-Marts here in MN had 24 of the Spider-Man figures but not a single Venom figure. After seeing them I want a Venom, but am not going all out to find one.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2596 on: March 29, 2007, 03:15 PM »
I probably said it before, but Spiderman figures in the 5" scale are now what I'd consider clutter.  There are some neat figures, but the loss of articulation and change of scale make these kids toys to me.  And like all movie toys, they're going to clog the pegs badly because I don't think I'm alone on the dislike side.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2597 on: March 29, 2007, 03:34 PM »
Yep.  Those figures are everywhere (and will be for awhile) and I barely looked at them.  I've said it before, but Hasbro is really making it easy to quit this line (or at the very least, cut back drastically).  I really, really want a Blob, but don't want to spend an extra $40 for **** figures to get him. 

On a slightly happier note, I picked up Mephisto yesterday.  Haven't had a chance to open him yet, but he looks great. His evilness is a welcome addition to the collection.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 03:35 PM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2598 on: March 29, 2007, 04:01 PM »
One thing I've noticed - at least around here - is that many (not all) of the stores don't seem to be going quite as nuts with a "movie line" as they usually do.  Sure, there are fair sized section of Spidey 3 stuff, but its nothing like I've seen in the past with SM1/2, F4, and Superman Returns.  Those lines literally had an entire aisle (or one side) to themselves at WM and TRU, and a good half or so at Target.  This time around, TRU is the only one with a huge section.  Both Target and WM have decent sized displays, but not a whole lot of action figures necessarily.  Lots of Bump N Gos, Web Shooters, and things like that.

I totally understand where you guys are coming from with the switch to 5", and other complaints.  I know I'm probably one of the few suckers that has picked some of these up, and I still hope we see some 6" versions later on (that rumored BAF wave).  I will say that the figures themselves (at least some of them) aren't too bad though.  I've got the "normal/well articulated" versions of each of the characters (aside from Sandman, which is action feature-tastic), and they are pretty solid figures.  The only articulation I really miss on them are wrists (side to side), because Spidey's hands are stuck facing forward otherwise.  One positive thing I can say about Hasbro's first lineup/release is that there is at least plenty of villains to go around and more of a variety.  I don't think I found a Doc Ock until a couple months after the release of SM2, and the same can be said for Dr. Doom.

I'd be ok with the Legends line wrapping up (at least for me) pretty soon too.  Spending is just too hard to keep in check with collecting otherwise, as Star Wars is enough.  I'm looking forward to three figures from the next wave, and probably the same from HML3, but after that we'll have to see.  I'm getting pretty happy with my lineup overall, and anything else at that point is just gravy.  Like Mikey, I'd kind of like to get Blob, but I really don't remotely want anything from that wave outside of She-Hulk, Yellowjacket, and Quicksilver.  I won't (and can't) buy the rest just for the piece of Blob.  I'm interested to see what the rumored Spidey and F4 waves hold, and after that I'll see what is on the way (hoping for Black Bolt, Tigra, US Agent, Nova, and "Spidey's supporting characters" box set that's been mentioned before).

Long post - sorry, but back on the topic here - I saw this article at Wizard, which is kind of a Q and A with Hasbro about the movie line(s) this year.  Reading between the lines, it kind of sounds like a 6" line is possible.  They mention taking the movie lines' scales on a "case by case basis" - which will only irritate people more.  Pick one or the other, so the movie "worlds" will at least look right together.  Of course, they'll probably do both, so they can get suckers like me to buy both lines (as with Spidey).

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2599 on: March 29, 2007, 10:59 PM »
Mark my words - these will be on clearance a week after Spiderman 3 comes out.  All the stores I ahve been to still have dozens of pegs fully stocked with them.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2600 on: March 30, 2007, 08:18 AM »
Do you think they will be on clearance or that is when they will start to sell ? The movie could raise interest for the youngesters.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2601 on: March 30, 2007, 10:42 AM »
Maybe - I just think people will be bored with them by then.  I can't believe people are having a hard time finding any of the figures - I hit Target and Wal-Mart this morning and both had the black spiderman and venom figs.  ::)
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2602 on: April 2, 2007, 11:17 AM »
It looks like Fwoosh posted their latest Top 10 Wanted Marvel Figures list, and this is how it turned out:

1. Black Bolt
2. Nova
3. Polaris
4. Jean Grey
5. Sunfire
6. Tigra
7 (tie). Adam Warlock
7 (tie). Gladiator
9. Valkyrie
10 (tie). Dazzler
10 (tie). Jubilee

BAF: Fin Fang Foom

The entire voting list is posted at the linky.  Out of this Top 10, I think I'd probably pick up the following:

Black Bolt
Nova
Jean Grey
Tigra

I'd like to get Fin Fang Foom as well, but I guess it depends on the figures included in the BAF wave.  I'd consider a few of the others on this list as well, but the four above would be the only definites.  I guess that shows how things are getting narrowed down on this line - not a lot of "big names" left in some respects.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2603 on: April 2, 2007, 11:53 AM »
Man, that's quite a list they compiled there.  I like most of the top 10 actually, and if Hasbro would produce them, in 6" scale and along the lines of Planet Hulk/Beast/Hercules rather than the craptasticular sculpts of Emma Frost/Banshee >:( I'd actually buy them.  Of those, I'd buy:

1. Black Bolt
2. Nova
3. Polaris
4. Jean Grey
5. Sunfire (maybe)
6. Tigra
7 (tie). Adam Warlock (maybe)
7 (tie). Gladiator (doubtful but if it was one left to finish a BAF)
9. Valkyrie
10 (tie). Dazzler
10 (tie). Jubilee

So yeah, I'd buy pretty much all of them, if need be. 

From the rest of the list of 249  :o  I'd be interested in the following:
14. Ultron - classic version please
23. Enchantress - Thor and Loki are lonely
31. Wrecker
41. Northstar  :-X
47. Hand Ninja - go army builders
61. Snowbird :P
91. Black Cat - we could use a better sculpt here for sure
91. Odin - sure, more Asgardians is ok by me
103. Chameleon - no love here?
119. Silver Sable
131. Dr. Bong - who?  But how do you go wrong with a name like that?
131. Klaw
155. Emma Frost - one that doesn't look like a man. 
155. Mole Man
155. Paste Pot Pete
192. Gwen Stacy
192. Mary Jane Watson
249. Demolition Man
249 J. Jonah Jameson
249. Tombstone

Didn't see the Black Queen on there either, but if they actually re-did the White Queen properly >:( and combined her with the Black Queen, Sebastian Shaw and a couple of Hellfire Club goons you'd have the makings of another boxed set on your hands. 

Interesting to see how little interest there is in the Spiderman characters.  I guess it's telling to an extent, but I was amazed to see Tombstone and MJ so low in the poll.  I still think you could do an awesome set of Spiderman Family and Friends in a box with JJJ, MJ, Gwen, Robbie and Aunt May but I could certainly see Hasbro's argument that it's sales would be rather limited.  Maybe they could make it a Con exclusive limited to 5000 sets or something? 

Throw Paste Pot Pete ;D, Black Cat, Chameleon, Tombstone and Silver Sable in another box set and the world is looking downright rosy.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2604 on: April 2, 2007, 12:10 PM »
In regards to my most wanted list, this is what coincides with their top 10:

Black Bolt
Nova
Jean Grey
Adam Warlock
Dazzler
Jubilee

Adam Warlock, Black Bolt and Nova are very near to the top of my wants, the others a I would happily buy.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2605 on: April 2, 2007, 02:39 PM »
In regards to my most wanted list, this is what coincides with their top 10:

Black Bolt
Nova
Jean Grey
Adam Warlock
Dazzler
Jubilee

Adam Warlock, Black Bolt and Nova are very near to the top of my wants, the others a I would happily buy.

All they really need to make is Tigra, Mockingbird, Photon, and Quasar at this point.  Then they can switch over to 5" figures to match the spidey line.   ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2606 on: April 2, 2007, 03:55 PM »
I'd probably only buy Tigra and Black Bolt but only if they were making more of the Inhumans.  Not much else in the top 50 I'd even buy:

01. Black Bolt
06. Tigra
14. Ultron - classic version
23. Enchantress
31. Wrecker
42. US Agent 
47. Arnim Zola

And as I've said before...I really don't care that much anymore.  I've gotten pretty much every single last thing I ever wanted out of this line.  We're in gravy territory. 

Movies must be a lot more profitable than I think because I'm just shocked Hasbro would shell out that much cash for pegwarm city and a dying toy line :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2607 on: April 2, 2007, 04:00 PM »

Movies must be a lot more profitable than I think because I'm just shocked Hasbro would shell out that much cash for pegwarm city and a dying toy line :-\

Would it be pegwarm city and dying if ToyBiz was still running the show? 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2608 on: April 2, 2007, 04:03 PM »
Movies must be a lot more profitable than I think because I'm just shocked Hasbro would shell out that much cash for pegwarm city and a dying toy line

I was kind of curious about this as well.  Although there is practically a never ending supply of Marvel characters, many to most of the "big names" are finished up, or will be shortly (She Hulk, Yellowjacket, Quicksilver, etc.).  How much life do you think Legends has in it?  I know I see a fair amount of Wave 1 figures on the pegs, but that might be due to better shipping (or a somewhat weak lineup).  Aside from maybe TRU, the pegs definitely aren't "packed" with Legends.  I'm sure Hasbro will start dipping into the "redo" well, and maybe that's on the way this year already with the rumored Spidey/F4 BAF waves.  I'm curious to see what the line will hold beyond that.  Its hard to pass things up a lot of times, but part of me wants to be done with it just because I really need to cut back on spending - and Star Wars doesn't seem to be letting up anytime soon.  Luckily, like many of you, there isn't necessarily a ton of stuff on that list that I really need to have.  A handful of figures/characters, and that dream box set of Spidey's allies/friends that's been mentioned.  Anyways, I wonder if Legends really is becoming a dying line at this point?  Even if it is, we can't complain, its been a heck of a run.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2609 on: April 2, 2007, 04:29 PM »
I think it is dying and very near flatline.  People did jump on the wave 1 stuff here initially, but there's no accounting for the sanity of completeists anyway.  They also sold well at the TRU half price sale (which is $7 CAD up here) but I can still find any version of any character easily in stores, whether it's the Iron man or Hulk packaging/production changes.  Even the Emma Frost clear version at TRU in Fargo wasn't moving at all over the space of two days. 

Based on that Fwoosh list it looks like a lot of people are ready for/want Hasbro to dip into the rehash pool anyway.  I'm not necessarily opposed to rehashes if they're done well or are a new costume of a character I'm interested in or was done poorly previously.  I would have bought several Spidey/villain figures from the movie line because I'm a Spiderman fan like you Brian, but the scale difference was more than I was interested in. 

I think they'll run the line for another 2-3 waves beyond wave 1, taking it out until Christmas 2007.  If sales don't improve dramatically by then I think they'll re-invent it as something newer, probably in the 5" scale so they can change the articulation and save on plastic costs.  I don't recall how long the license is in place for, so they'll do something, but I don't think it will be "Legends". 

Scott's right, we are in gravy territory for sure and that's pretty obvious considering we're asking for boxed sets of non-major characters.  I think they could have the line run longer though, if they just did things right. 

Less X-heavy.  And this is coming from an X-men fan.  I liked and bought all the X-books in my heyday of comic buying, but filling a line so full of movie figures is silly from a business standpoint, especially 6-12 months or more after the movie has come and gone not only from theaters, but from the forefront of the DVD rentals/sales as well.  Peppering in an Xmovie figure and an X-man/woman/villain in each wave would have worked fine.  It would have kept interest in the line from the X-faithful but wouldn't have pissed off the non-X fans like Scott.

Better sculpts - half of Wave 1 is pretty good.  Planet Hulk, Beast and Hercules are pretty well done.  I'm not sure but Iron Man might not be too bad either, but I'm not enough of a fan to judge.  I think it looks ok.  But Banshee and Emma Frost look like crap.  So much so that the petty side of me won't buy Hercules just out of spite alone.  It's a cool figure and a good character, but I refuse to buy it because I'm pissed at Hasbro for screwing up the two figures I wanted out of the wave.   >:(  ToyBiz' female figures were never spectacular (what happened to Wasp's hair for the regular figure?  It doesn't look anything like the pictures in earlier issues of Toyfare.) but this is a whole new low. 

Better mixes within series - Look, I know Iron Man and Hulk and Wolverine are popular, I really do.  But holy crap people, mix it up a bit, spread it out.  I'm (embarassingly) a fan of Wolverine, but there's more than enough of those around.  I am a fan, albeit to a lesser extent, of Hulk, but I didn't need another one.  And I'm not a fan of Iron Man, so why are you on number 8?  Sure, he's popular, but c'mon, it's not that hard to figure out.  Here's what I think (and yes, I know I'm meaningless) they should be doing:

Wave = six figures:
1 X-man - good guy/bad guy/villain/female/whatever
1 movie figure - be it FF/X-whatever; if there are two current movies, put those out, one from each
1 Avenger
1 Spiderman related figure - collectors like the ML packaging more than the Spidey line, which was already geared more towards kids anyway.  Make this action feature-less and a nice sculpt or maybe a villain or less popular character amongst the kiddies.
1 villain - in addition to whatever may have been above or maybe just a supporting character that's packed at a smaller ration of 1/12 and then up one figure above to 3/12 ratio. 

Stop the insanity of certain characters - has anyone counted?  We're up to what?  Six Hulks; 8 Iron Man; 743 Wolverine; 4 Cyclops; 4 Thor, three of which are in rapid succession. 

Bah, you get the point.  I've said it all before.  It's over, done with.  I'm not getting my Spiderman family box set anyway and really all Hasbro is doing is saving me money and possibly my marriage, so how can that be bad?