Author Topic: Marvel Legends  (Read 420922 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1020 on: February 10, 2005, 03:32 PM »
No there's not :D  You're almost as bad as the rest of us Brian, you're just denying it.  More will come along, no doubt about it.  It may or may not be Star Wars, but we'll be collecting well into the future ;)

My wife is ok with it, for the most part, but then she doesn't see many of the bills either.  Ebay has been helpful, in the sense of selling stuff to fund my purchases, so the money has been largely invisible.  Coming into and going out of paypal with ease.  I seldom pay for anything other than local stuff and that's usually a cash/debit transaction.  SSW.com is fairly hideous though, that's credit card based :'(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1021 on: February 10, 2005, 03:34 PM »
There are worse things I could be blowing money on.

That was always my favorite line of defense when my ex-wife would start getting on my case about the amount of stuff that I had/was buying. And it usually shut her up, at least for a while  :P

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1022 on: February 11, 2005, 08:45 AM »
A couple pics have shown up online now, detailing the "Sentinel" and "Legendary Riders" series, or 10 and 11, however you like to call them.  Some are just drawings at this point, and the pictures aren't the largest, but there's at least a clue to what we're expecting.  I'm looking forward to the Sentinel Series, they look nice.  Too bad they had to hit during all of this ROTS madness this year :).

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1023 on: February 11, 2005, 09:01 AM »
The Sentinal wave is great.  I love how the most pegwarming character in the history of ML and Classics has the head.  And I think Mystique and Omega Red are the shortpacks this time.  So my Sentinal is going to be ab-less and ass less for awhile.

I'm less keen on the "Legendary Riders".  The only two in that series that that could even remotely describe are Logan and Vengeance and I don't think the latter is all that Legendary anyway.  Of course, I still want him, I love funky ass obscure characters.  Definite buys for me are Wonder-man, Scarlet Witch, Taskmaster and Vengeance.  Ultron would be too, but that design sucks.  When did he ever appear like that?  I really hope they give us the classic look.  No way I'm buying Thing.  HB IM is a possibility, will wait and see.  Logan is a maybe, it all depends on what he looks like.  I think his bike will be the deciding factor in whether I get him or not.  And I believe WM and SC are the shortpacks.  Once again, the best characters get the shaft ::)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1024 on: February 11, 2005, 09:43 AM »
The Sentinel wave looks good, but i woul dhave preferred another large character than the "riders". Oh well I am hoping for UATU and Fin Fang Foom for 12 and 13.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1025 on: February 11, 2005, 10:07 AM »
Thanks for the picture Brian, that's great.  It's also tremendously helpful in deciding whether to order a case or not. 

It turns out (thanks to the Winnipeg thread at the spawn board) that there are a lot of ML collectors locally (I knew this, I just didn't know I knew so many of them already) so it's a good place to dump spares from cases.  I think I'll end up ordering a case of series 10.  Not that I need another spidey, but maybe I'll open it, throw away spidey and sell the head on ebay :P  There's actually no figures in that series I don't really want.  Black Panther isn't really high on my list, but it looks like a decent figure, so that's ok.  I'm really happy to have an Archangel now that they're releasing an Angel figure.  The Cyclops is cool too, I no longer have to worry about finding the older version, that one looks good to me.  Or good enough anyway. 

On the other side, I absolutely will not be ordering a case of the Legendary Riders series.  That's just not a good idea and I'm not overly fond of the assortment either :-\ 

We need another Thing?  Uh, original, Trench Coat, Box set and now movie line so they release yet another?  Fire the marketing department.  Please.  Vengeance is passable too - if I don't own some version of Ghost Rider, why would I buy that - and I remember reading the character as well, not a Legend by any stretch of the imagination.  Logan and Ultron belong in the probably pass on category as well.  Logan we'll see, but it's like Spidey, how many can you possibly own?  I understand the marketing side for him though, he always sells and that is the kid-magnet portion of the assortment, like Spidey in series 10.  Like Mikey, I'm utterly disappointed with Ultron, isn't this a Legends line?  If so, why put in some obscure-ass sculpt?  Oh that's right, so they can release a first appearance version down the road ::)  I'll wait for that. 

The winners in the series are obvious.  Wonder Man and Scarlett Witch go a long way to filling out the West Coast Avengers.  I'm a little nervous just seeing drawings of the figures rather than the actual sculpts, but I expect that won't change my purchasing of the figures anyway.  Hopefully they'll be relatively comic/legend accurate. 

Taskmaster is an odd choice for the Legends line but I liked the character and I'll buy him.  I expect he'll sell well too, villains usually do. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1026 on: February 11, 2005, 10:53 AM »
I'm trying to decide what I want to do with these upcoming series as well.  Like you Brent, I'm not particularly excited about the "Legendary Riders" series, and I'm not sure I'll pick up anything from that line.  The Avengers included are pretty cool, but I didn't read them much as a kid so I don't have as much of an "attachment" to getting them.  They would be the only ones I would consider though.

I'm more pumped for the Sentinel Series.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to afford to get the whole shebang and get a Sentinel as well, but with this wave likely hitting sometime during the ROTS hype-fest, I'm not sure if that will happen or not.  I'm in the minority in that I am actually excited about the "1st Appearance" Spider-Man, just because I like having a Spidey in the actual Legends line.  That is one I will be picking up for sure, along with Cyclops.  Others like Angel, Mystique, Black Panther, and Mr. Sinister look pretty cool as well, and I might be tempted by those too.  If all I was collected was ML, I think I'd be in for everything most of the time, or at least much more of it....but Star Wars comes first with me, and much of the ROTS product looks pretty spiffy so far, so that might be where the majority of the funds are headed this year. :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 11:10 AM by mosnab »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1027 on: February 11, 2005, 11:06 AM »
Black Cat?  Methinks you mean Black Panther, unless there's some hormone therapy going on in the Marvel Universe that I don't know about :D  Just giving you a hard time ;)

I was more a WCA fan than a regular Avengers fan, so Wonder Man and the Witch are important for me to own. Not sure why, but I think mostly because the regular Avengers all pretty much had their own comic, so I tended to buy those rather than the Avengers title itself. I had a horrible number of subscriptions and was getting probably 10-15 titles a week :o between Marvel, DC, Image and a few others (anyone remember Valiant?).

As far as the Spidey goes, time will tell.  I love spidey, he's my favorite character by far, but how many figures can you own?  I've got black, red & black, blue & black, movie I, movie II, webbed pits (S6 boxset) and probably a good dozen from other lines.  Too much crap as the good Mrs. would say.  It's probably a cool figure, I just don't need another.  Kind of like the Thing - I love the character, but really ::)  Wolverine, for me, is in that boat too.  There's just too many of him - blue and yellow, b & y no mask (series 3 and 6), b & y no mask box set, brown, weapon x, Logan, booger on claw, pleather jacket, plastic jacket, no jacket ::)  Yes, he sells and sells well, but sheesh people. 

blah, blah, blah.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1028 on: February 11, 2005, 11:13 AM »
Yeah, whoops, Black Panther is the one :).  Fixed.  You didn't know about the super secret hormone therapy storyline?  I won't spoil it :P.  Anyways, I see your point about Spidey too.  There are more than enough versions out there, and I have a couple red and blue, the black costume, a couple movie ones, a Secret Wars one, etc.  Even if he is your favorite character, like you said, you can only have so many.  I just think it might be cool to have an official "Marvel Legends" one, depending on how it looks.  From the pics it looks similar to the McFarlane one, so I'm wondering if it is just a repaint/retool, or maybe even the same figure.  We'll see I guess.  I do see what you mean though, no matter how much you like the character, you can only have so many versions in figure form.  This from the guy who has a shelf full of Han Solos and Chewbaccas :P.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1029 on: February 11, 2005, 12:37 PM »
Actually that's a good point, how many commtech Han's do I own?  Too many is the obvious answer.  I'll likely keep that spidey though.  I haven't seen the McFarlane spidey, but I'd be surprised if they're that similar.  This is first appearance spiderman so it should be rather different from ASM298 spiderman (or whenever McFarlane started drawing him).  Or am I interpreting first appearance to be origin spiderman incorrectly? 

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1030 on: February 11, 2005, 01:03 PM »
You are not laone. i actually very excited that included Spider-Man int he Marvel Legends line. It gives me more hope that we will get spidey villians in the line as they did with Doc Oc. I pre-orders the Galactus wave and the Sentinel wave and am happy to get them all. As for the riders, well I preordered that too, but I may change my mind. I dont want Logan, Thing, or Iron Man. I may just bite the bullet and buy the whole set becuase it will be easier and probably cheaper to track down the rest of the figures in the set.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1031 on: February 11, 2005, 01:23 PM »
This is first appearance spiderman so it should be rather different from ASM298 spiderman (or whenever McFarlane started drawing him).  Or am I interpreting first appearance to be origin spiderman incorrectly?

That's how I always interpreted it as well Brent.  I figured it would be the "1st Appearance" of him in the comics, likely based on either the "Amazing Fantasy" cover, or on the first "Amazing Spider-Man" comic.  I was hoping it would be something like that anyways, it would at least be a nice "different" take on ole web head.  I don't mind having a few different Spideys anyways, he's my favorite character its ok to have a few different interpretations of him....as long as it doesn't involve some sort of ginormous gun, water blastin', snowboardin', wise crackin', ball throwin' action feature incorporated right into the figure :).

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1032 on: February 11, 2005, 01:26 PM »
A couple pics have shown up online now, detailing the "Sentinel" and "Legendary Riders" series, or 10 and 11, however you like to call them.  Some are just drawings at this point, and the pictures aren't the largest, but there's at least a clue to what we're expecting.  I'm looking forward to the Sentinel Series, they look nice.  Too bad they had to hit during all of this ROTS madness this year :).

More images of this wave are going to be available in the new issue of ToyFare.  I saw Angel and the Sentinel, and they looked pretty good.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1033 on: February 13, 2005, 05:42 PM »
Wow, did I just get lucky. I scored redheaded Black Widow, Iceman, and Storm at TRU today. They had to be return, since only these and one Iron Man were there, and by logic, all I should have found was Iron Men and Captain Americas.

If TRU would get these regularly, I would have had series 7 by now. But I'm ecstatic I got these, especially Black Widow.

Which leaves me with these to find:
Red Skull
Dark Phoenix
blonde Black Widow
Apocalypse
Vision
Hawkeye
Doc Ock
Man-Thing
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #1034 on: February 13, 2005, 05:54 PM »
I made a freak find yesterday.  Found some ML 6 of all things, including brown Cable and the reissue of maskless Wolverine.  I actually left a Deadpool behind.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback