Author Topic: Marvel Legends  (Read 410958 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2565 on: March 22, 2007, 10:12 AM »
I'm curious why we're seeing the change to 5" in the movie lines as well, but it might be in part due to what evenflow mentioned - collectors (like me) who will likely double dip.  There might be other factors as well.  I've read that part of it is due to plastic (oil) pricing, and getting movie figures in at a kid/parent-friendly pricepoint.  I could see that, as we know these types of lines are aimed at the kiddos for the most part, and if collectors buy in, its just gravy.  They'll also be relatively in scale with the DC movie figures, although I don't know if that makes any difference to Hasbro or not.  I know kids probably don't mind having Spidey, Batman, Superman, etc. all able to interact in their toybox though.  I think it might be trying to hit that certain pricepoint though, with the way the action figure business is now.  We're seeing with Legends and DC Superheroes that the 6" detailed scale is pretty much $10 across the board at this point - and I could pick up Legends for $6.84 on occasion at our local Target not a year ago.  Things are changing unfortunately, and it might force me to scale back on a lot of things.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2566 on: March 22, 2007, 10:13 AM »
I wonder why the decision to go 6" was made to begin with.  The 90's Toy Biz Marvel stuff was all 5" was it not?  I really could care less anymore because the list of stuff I want is so short, Legends could end after Wave 3 and I'd not even blink an eye.  Not having to buy 4 toy lines for the last two years has been a relief.  Sure I've probably branched out a little on some higher end SW stuff but its nowhere near the sheer physical amount of stuff that was coming in to my house.  Thank you toy companies for making horrible business decisions!

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2567 on: March 22, 2007, 02:49 PM »
I really could care less anymore because the list of stuff I want is so short, Legends could end after Wave 3 and I'd not even blink an eye.  Not having to buy 4 toy lines for the last two years has been a relief.  Sure I've probably branched out a little on some higher end SW stuff but its nowhere near the sheer physical amount of stuff that was coming in to my house.  Thank you toy companies for making horrible business decisions!

Not a whole lot more needs to be said...
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2568 on: March 22, 2007, 03:22 PM »
I really could care less anymore because the list of stuff I want is so short, Legends could end after Wave 3 and I'd not even blink an eye.

As much as I enjoy the Marvel line(s), I have to sort of agree with this observation Scott.  I find myself sometimes almost hoping certain lines will end, so that I won't be tempted :P.  That isn't the various toy lines faults though, that's my own issue  ::).  I keep thinking I'm almost done with Marvel stuff, but a little more trickles in - then a little more - and it just keeps going.  I'm at the point where I am simply out of room for stuff, and I'd be ok with some things wrapping up.  I'm going to pick up probably 3 figures from each of the next two waves of ML, and then I'll see if those rumored Spidey and F4 BAF waves pan out.  Beyond that, I might be trying to wrap it up soon.  There's a few figures I'd still like to see (Black Bolt, Tigra, comic Mary Jane, etc.), but I'd be ok if things ended soon too.

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2569 on: March 22, 2007, 04:44 PM »
The Legends can't go 6 inch until we get Gladiator dammit!!!! Damn where is the pimpest among all the Shi'Ar Imperial Guard??? >:( Once he's done, then the line can end or switch!! 
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2570 on: March 22, 2007, 04:56 PM »
The Legends can't go 6 inch until we get Gladiator dammit!!!! Damn where is the pimpest among all the Shi'Ar Imperial Guard??? >:( Once he's done, then the line can end or switch!! 

Has it been confirmed that Legends are moving to 5" as well?   ???
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2571 on: March 22, 2007, 05:13 PM »
Hasbro said at TF that Legends would be remaining 6"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2572 on: March 23, 2007, 12:48 AM »
I wonder why the decision to go 6" was made to begin with.  The 90's Toy Biz Marvel stuff was all 5" was it not?  I really could care less anymore because the list of stuff I want is so short, Legends could end after Wave 3 and I'd not even blink an eye.  Not having to buy 4 toy lines for the last two years has been a relief.  Sure I've probably branched out a little on some higher end SW stuff but its nowhere near the sheer physical amount of stuff that was coming in to my house.  Thank you toy companies for making horrible business decisions!

I don't know if it's the adrenaline rush or the thrill of the hunt or whatever you call it, but it still kinda bugs me. 

I'm right there in that most of the lines have little to offer me anymore as ToyBiz did a fine job of releasing lots of cool stuff (I still want my spiderman family and friends box set >:() but for the most part there isn't much left to do, especially since She-Hulk is coming.

But the other day in TRU I was absolutely dismayed.  There was nothing there I wanted.  I've got the 1st wave of TAC, none of the battlepacks you guys see are coming up here.  No sportspicks I want for the time being.  The Superman/Batman waves from Mattel suck in terms of case ratios.  Now this line seems to be heading in large part to the 5" scale.  There's so little in stores for me to look at I'm drifting over to Hot Wheels, and that's just an abomination.

I think Brian's right in the sense that the families/parents/kids won't care a whit.  But are collectors really THAT small a portion of the market?  Having seen these all now, I would probably have bought as many as 6 figures IF they were in the six inch scale.  I'd have grabbed the movie black spidey, the battle damaged spidey, I think there's a Parker figure in with one (or maybe it's Brock pre-venom).  I probably would have sprung for the new Goblin, lame looking as it is, plus a movie-venom and a movie-Sandman as well.  But I'm not buying any of them in that scale.  I know little Johnny and Donny and Sue will and there's plenty of them.  But Scott and Dan and Brent and Ryan and..... aren't. 

Huh.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2573 on: March 23, 2007, 10:52 AM »
I was just looking through MouseDroid's coverage of the Australian Toy Fair, and noticed this product in the Spider-Man 3 coverage.  The packaging says "Unleashed 360", and they show mock ups of both red/blue Spidey and Venom.  Maybe I missed it somewhere, but does anyone know what these are?  They look like larger, super articulated figures, but I'm not sure.  Are they Icons - or in the same arena as those?  Just curious if anyone has heard anything about these.

Edit: Here's another picture that shows both Spidey and Venom.  The Spidey in the middle seems to say "10 inch action figure", with the other "Unleashed 360" figures looking a little larger.  Hasbro sure likes the "Unleashed" name, don't they? :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 10:54 AM by Brian »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2574 on: March 23, 2007, 12:05 PM »
Looks like I'll be picking up that Venom this weekend, if I get some money.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2575 on: March 25, 2007, 01:24 PM »
Holy Spider-Mania! Spider-Man 3 product is hitting everywhere, and I do mean everywhere.

I picked up the basic Symbiote Attack Web Venom at K-Mart, only for the free poster, and so I had the first half so I can compete the full poster on April 29th, when the Venom one comes out.

The price they are asking for these figures is way too much in my opinion, especially for the "Deluxe" two packs. I'd absolutely love that Symbiote Venom that is in the one Spidey Vs. Venom Ooze pack, but I can't justify the price, especially when they include a near SA Spider-Man figure with a suddenly static arm with a lame action feature. I just can't do it.

While in Wal*Mart they didn't have the Unleashed Venom OR Spidey, so I went with the Spider-Man SuperHero Squad Venom Vs. Lil Spidey Set.

Also, keep your eyes on the Super Articulated Black Suit Spider-Man. There's 2 packaging variants I saw, in poses and plastic keeper bubbles.

Kevin

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2576 on: March 26, 2007, 09:24 AM »
I went out this weekend looking for TAC Star Wars, as well as some Spidey 3 stuff.  It was pretty hit and miss (well miss on the TAC front), but some of the stores didn't really have much of anything for Spidey 3 despite the big "3/24" date.  Our local Wal-Mart had a big header above the action figure aisle advertising SM3, but just empty pegs in the aisle.  They did have a little standalone thing filled with webshooters and some figures.  I picked up a few figures there, but when I went to check out they rang up at $8.67 each.  Yikes.  I ended up taking them back the next day, after seeing that Target has them on sale this week for $5.99 each - that's much more manageable.  Our local Target didn't have anything new (didn't reset), but the one across town had some Spidey figs and it looked like they had the new POTC stuff too.  It didn't seem like (at least around here) that this big street date did much.  Our local Target didn't have anything aside from the nerf footballs (which are pretty cool), the one across town had a small section for SM3, and the other side of town Target and WM both had smaller sections as well.  I wonder if they are scaling back movie lines this time around?  I remember Superman Returns and Fantastic Four having entire aisles to themselves.  Maybe that is still coming.  Our TRU did have a big wall as you enter the store of SM3 stuff, but that was about it.

Long story short, I ended up picking up one each of the best versions of the characters, as well as the Superhero Squad packs.  I took some back to WM after the huge price different compared to Target's sale this week ($8.67 at WM, $5.99 at Target).  TRU I believe is charging $7.99.  I guess if you are interested in these at all, this might be the week to hit Target for this sale.  $5.99 seems about right for these figures, but nowhere near $8 or $9.  Oh, I grabbed the Spidey Potato Head as well, just had to have that to go with the Star Wars ones.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2577 on: March 26, 2007, 02:37 PM »
Brian, I'm right there with you on the prices being way high. :-X Especially with the Scale down.

Kevin

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2578 on: March 26, 2007, 02:47 PM »
I saw these in person and I was TOTALLY dissapointed. What a rip. The scale didn't bother me so much as the price did and the quality wasn't even that well to garnish such a price hike... The Superhero Squad versions were really cool (though I didn't get any) and I loved the SpiderSpud. My only gripe with the SpiderSpud is that I keep mine in the box and I wish they would have put the Spidey eyes on the Spud in the package. Oh well, I guess i'll just have to rip it open. :P Now if only they made a Venom to go with it...

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2579 on: March 26, 2007, 02:56 PM »
Now if only they made a Venom to go with it...

Give it time, i am sure they will.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"