Author Topic: Marvel Legends  (Read 410858 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2640 on: April 21, 2007, 08:18 PM »
Picked up Yellowjacket and Shulkie today at a Wallyworld.  I think they were $9.96 each.  Much better than KayBee.

I saw Juggernaut and Jean Grey too.  Meh.  Not looking too good.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 08:19 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2641 on: April 21, 2007, 08:58 PM »
I saw Yellowjacket in person tonight.  Definitely one of the better pieces from the new wave.  But at the price that KayBee is offering HML for ($11.99 each), I'll be passing on this until I see it somewhere for a better price.

$12?!  That's crazy.   >:(

$12.95 - $14.95 at regular retail up here.  The lowest they ever were is $9.99. 

That's in Canadian dollars though, right?  What is that in US $?

First point would be that I get paid in Canadian dollars ;)

Second point would be $11.37 - 12.85 before taxes.  I think you metro guys pay 6% but we pay 13% up here, so pretty damn near the same even after you work it all out. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2642 on: April 21, 2007, 09:53 PM »
First point would be that I get paid in Canadian dollars ;)

Second point would be $11.37 - 12.85 before taxes.  I think you metro guys pay 6% but we pay 13% up here, so pretty damn near the same even after you work it all out. 

Well $11.37 vs. $9.99 does stink.  I hate that 13% sales tax in Canada, but you do have lower property taxes and if it pays for your free health care system, its more than worth it.  I don't even want to think about how much I've spent on doctor/hospital bills for the kids over the last 7 months - and that's with insurance picking up most of the tab.   :P
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2643 on: April 22, 2007, 12:21 AM »
Never forget that on top of that 13% 'sales' tax, I also lose about 33% of my paycheck off the top to various taxes including provincial (= state) and federal income taxes.  There is merit to the health care benefits, but it's not nearly so rosy as some US politicians would have you believe.  The system is pretty damn screwed up for the most part.  Oh sure, it's free but my wife waited 8 months for an MRI and another 5 on top of that for her ACL (knee) reconstruction.  I believe in the US that would all be accomplished in under a month.

As for property taxes, I doubt they're lower.  I pay about $5K a year for a 2300 sq ft house (on a lot that's about 70x130 feet).

And remember, I pay taxes on toys that you friendly neighbourhood Minnesotans send me too in the form of "customs" fees. 

But no, I haven't paid a penny for my kid this year with respect to health care (which doesn't include dental). 

The US health care system ain't great, but ours isn't the one to aspire to have either.  Somewhere in the middle.

Stepping gently off my soap box now...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2644 on: April 22, 2007, 09:13 PM »

You're right - Canada does suck!   ;D  ;)
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2645 on: April 23, 2007, 02:19 PM »
Never forget that on top of that 13% 'sales' tax, I also lose about 33% of my paycheck off the top to various taxes including provincial (= state) and federal income taxes.  There is merit to the health care benefits, but it's not nearly so rosy as some US politicians would have you believe.  The system is pretty damn screwed up for the most part.  Oh sure, it's free but my wife waited 8 months for an MRI and another 5 on top of that for her ACL (knee) reconstruction.  I believe in the US that would all be accomplished in under a month.

As for property taxes, I doubt they're lower.  I pay about $5K a year for a 2300 sq ft house (on a lot that's about 70x130 feet).

And remember, I pay taxes on toys that you friendly neighbourhood Minnesotans send me too in the form of "customs" fees. 

But no, I haven't paid a penny for my kid this year with respect to health care (which doesn't include dental). 

The US health care system ain't great, but ours isn't the one to aspire to have either.  Somewhere in the middle.

To quote a great movie...

BLAME CANADA!!!!
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2646 on: April 26, 2007, 02:08 PM »
At least the exchange rate is starting to get better......USD$1 is now equal to 1.12CAD. I remember when it used to be a lot higher.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2647 on: April 26, 2007, 02:50 PM »
Yeah, the glory (gory) days around 2002.  We went to Hawaii that year and the Canadian dollar was $0.61 USD :'(  We went out for dinner and were relatively frugal, came home and sure enough that $60 meal became a $100 meal. 

On topic, no sign of much in the great white north.  No wave 2 anywhere and wave one's not moving much either.  I did notice the clear Emma and silver Wolverine were on the TRU.com website though.  Also some of the first series of face-off two packs including designations for 2, as in Hulk vs. Leader2 which is presumably the variant pack, but I lack faith when ordering from TRU. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2648 on: April 26, 2007, 04:15 PM »
Looking at this thread at the Fwoosh, and it looks like rumors of the availability and/or end of the line (or the 6" scale) are swirling.  We've seen this type of things before (even with Star Wars) as this supposedly came from a "Hasbro rep" at a store.  There's probably not much credence to it, but I could see some of these things being somewhat true.  I can envision "Hasbro big wigs" saying, "look at how the 5" figures are selling, kids love 5" figures", and then transitioning everything over to it.  Its probably all rumors, but as we've discussed before, the Marvel line has seen a pretty good run already - so we'll see what the future holds.

Not much on the pegs here either.  I saw HML2 at our local Wal-Mart once a couple of weeks ago, and it sold out in a day.  I haven't seen anything since other than HML1 pegwarmers.  Target and TRU in particular seem to have plenty, although I haven't looked real closely at which ones are there.  I think all can be found, to some extent.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2649 on: April 26, 2007, 04:37 PM »
Oh yeah, I can see Hasbro pointing at the Spidey figures and saying see, the scale change didn't matter at all! And ultimately with me, that's fine.  I'm not foolish enough to believe I'll ever see the obscure characters I want to see and they've (well, ToyBiz did) filled the line out pretty well, so if it dies, so be it. 

But I stick to my guns: had these been in the 6" scale, I would have purchased 6-8 of the figures currently sitting on the pegs.  I think the black movie spiderman looks great, but I ain't buying it because it'll look like mini-me Spidey compared to the stuff in my collection. 

I'll get my series 2 stuff I want, maybe even build a Blob since we seem to be so close to the end.  If series 3 comes, I'll get what I want and be done with it. 

I'm just amazed how easy they're making it for me to walk away.  I've spent so much less money in the past five months on this (and other) line, it's been great. 

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2650 on: April 26, 2007, 05:41 PM »
I got HML2 and you know, i think they are actually really good. It seems like they have improved since series 1. If they do movie figures in 5 inch scale it doesnt bother me much as long as they keep ML 6 inches.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2651 on: April 26, 2007, 08:53 PM »
Made a deal with a guy on Fwoosh for Yellowjacket, Thor, She-Hulk and Quicksilver - I'm anxious to see if these are an improvement or not.  I actually didn't think W1 was that bad outside of Emma.  They are still making some pretty obscure characters (Black Knight, Yellowjacket?), so I'm holding out hope for a few more of the missing Avengers in 6" style.  If they convert to 5", I'm done with Marvel figures as well.  On the flip side, if they stick around, I'll continue to buy 3-4 of these per wave.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2652 on: April 26, 2007, 10:06 PM »
I actually didn't think W1 was that bad outside of Emma. 

I'm tired of Hulk figures, but that's just me.  Banshee's thick neck really bugs me and the facial sculpt isn't to my liking.  Iron man is ok, but I'm in no need of yet another.  Hercules was just fine and I wanna buy it but refuse to out of petty protest.  Emma sucked. 

Anyone have any spare sentinel parts (aside from the torso)?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2653 on: April 27, 2007, 09:54 AM »
Its kind of hard to say how well the Hasbro Legends are doing, since the first wave has a somewhat iffy lineup.  Even if they were all outstanding figures, quite a few of them are kind of "niche" type characters.  Planet Hulk is storyline specific (and we already have several Hulks), Ultimate Iron Man is obviously from that universe, and if you don't like that universe you probably won't pick it up.  Beast is a movie figure, which leave Banshee, Emma Frost, and Hercules.  Hercules is the only one I picked up from this wave.  I was tempted to get Emma to complete the Astonishing X-Men lineup, but just can't bring myself to pick it up.  I was tempted to get Banshee as well, since he is a "classic" X-man, but again, I haven't brought myself to do it.  HML2 does look much better, so we'll see.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Marvel Legends didn't get a lot of attention this year.  Looking at Hasbro's year, they're going to really be packing the toy aisle with 30th Anniversary Star Wars stuff, 25th Joe stuff, Transformers movie, Spider-Man 3, and Fantastic Four 2.  That's a lot of stuff that's getting more "mainstream" looks this year, so Legends might be on the backburner a little bit.

Like many people have said, anything new is pretty much gravy at this point, because we've had a heck of a run through ToyBiz (and Hasbro).  If Legends really is starting to struggle (due to character selection, price increases, or product differences), I could see them packing it in - or switching to the 5" scale.  They mainly got the license for the movie properties most likely, and Legends is kind of gravy for them as well.  It came in as a strong collector line, and we'll see what they do with it.  Switching to a 5" scale would allow them to "start from scratch" and do their own versions of all the big guns that we've already seen several times.  Its likely not many of us here would be interested if they did that, but try telling them that.  I was thinking about this, are Legends and DC Superheroes the only true mass market 6" scale action figure lines (not statues) at this point?  Star Wars, Joe, Pirates, and now for the most part comic movie figures (Spidey, F4, Batman, Superman) are all smaller.  I believe stuff like Turtles and Power Rangers are as well, but I'm not as familiar with those.  With the oil prices, maybe smaller scales are the way of the future.  I guess it is ok, since we've gotten such a good selection of characters already.  There will always be a few I wouldn't mind seeing, so hopefully we'll see a little more in the future.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2654 on: April 27, 2007, 11:07 AM »
with all my other sets going on and the fact that I have stopped reading X-Men comics. I am ending this collection. Not sure what I am going to do with everything i have, but I am not purchasing any more. Feels good to get this monkey off my back!!!
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!