Author Topic: Marvel Legends  (Read 414213 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3090 on: February 28, 2008, 04:29 PM »
I got my FF figures in the mail the other day (don't worry, the delay was planned; the sellers shipped plenty quick).  I haven't compared them directly to the previous versions I have but they sort of disappointed me.

Mole Man - the gem of the bunch.  Great work on the tubby little guy; nice sculpt, sufficient articulation and looks good fantastic.

Reed - ok as far as he goes and he fills a hole nicely for me, so I'm satisfied with it. 

Sue - it's ok, but she seems small.  I'll have to see how she fits relative to the other stuff.  She might actually be the exact same size as the movie versions though as it seems only the head sculpt is really different.

Namor - small too and yup, pinhead.  Nice sculpt though, but like the rest of these figures, they almost seem to be in five inch scale.  I haven't checked the other Namor, but I think if I can switch the head off the previous version onto this body it might eliminate the pinheadedness.  It might be too big though.

Silver Surfer - I don't know if I can express how happy I am to have bought the first version.  This one is brittle, more poorly articulated, tiny (he's THAT much smaller than Doom?) and his board is kinda crappy to me.  Never mind tha lack of a Howard the Duck.  Really, this has to be the biggest disappointment in the wave to me. 

Doom - I like the custom that Scott showed, but I was actually more impressed with this Doom than I expected to be.  I like that the cape/hood comes off and he might get kept as a Doombot without the full costume.  The scale on this figure (and just about only this figure) seems right in line with other ML stuff.  The plastic here feels really brittle too.  But otherwise I'm ok with this one, a pleasant surprise.

Thing - what is this, the mini-me version of the Thing?  Doesn't Hasbro have a reference collection of the ToyBiz stuff.  Honestly, this thing is a midget compared to the other versions I have.  Massive disappointment and a pinhead to boot. 

Johnny - seems a little small, but I've not been happy with any of the Human Torch figures at all, so this one shouldn't be any different. 

Did I miss anyone?  Ronan but that's a really nice figure, glad to have it.  The rest of them are mis-scaled IMO and made of a much lower grade of plastic.  I'd be worried about giving this to a kid to play with and have the seemingly hard and brittle plastic break with sharp edges. 

Keeping: Reed, Mole Man, Ronan
Maybe: Sue, Doom, Namor (for a head swap)
Tossing: Thing :-X Johnny :-\ Silver Surfer :-X

I'm just not impressed with the Hasbro ML offerings.  Scale is off on many of the figures; paint apps and sculpt are crap on some (clearly not all, they run about 50-50 it seems, some are quite good) and the new plastic feels cheap.  I'm so happy to have been on board with the ToyBiz stuff.  To Hasbro's credit, I think if I didn't have the ToyBiz stuff to compare to, I'd probably be ok with these.  But a couple are just so bad in comparison to earlier releases, it's impossible to overlook the flaws.

I was so cranky earlier that when I found Cap and Bucky at Walmart for a couple of bucks less than other stores, I didn't even get them to finish out the Brood Queen.  I think I can get her on Ebay for less than I'd pay for them both.  I wouldn't mind a Bucky figure for the collection, but that want doesn't outweigh the lack of need for another Cap figure (which is admitedly quite a different sculpt from the others). 

I think it's safe to suggest I'm pretty much done with ML for the future.  I love what I have and I'm interested in a few of the figs, which I'll pick up.  But so much of slide since the ToyBiz in so many areas that they can account for.  That makes me sad.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3091 on: February 29, 2008, 09:51 AM »
I'm just not impressed with the Hasbro ML offerings.  Scale is off on many of the figures; paint apps and sculpt are crap on some (clearly not all, they run about 50-50 it seems, some are quite good) and the new plastic feels cheap.  I'm so happy to have been on board with the ToyBiz stuff.  To Hasbro's credit, I think if I didn't have the ToyBiz stuff to compare to, I'd probably be ok with these.  But a couple are just so bad in comparison to earlier releases, it's impossible to overlook the flaws.

I was so cranky earlier that when I found Cap and Bucky at Walmart for a couple of bucks less than other stores, I didn't even get them to finish out the Brood Queen.  I think I can get her on Ebay for less than I'd pay for them both.  I wouldn't mind a Bucky figure for the collection, but that want doesn't outweigh the lack of need for another Cap figure (which is admitedly quite a different sculpt from the others). 

I think it's safe to suggest I'm pretty much done with ML for the future.  I love what I have and I'm interested in a few of the figs, which I'll pick up.  But so much of slide since the ToyBiz in so many areas that they can account for.  That makes me sad.

Hasbro should have stayed with the 3 3/4 toys and Barbie. Toy Biz should have been left with this series. Marvel really screwed the bootch by letting this license switch. Had Toy Biz remained doing these toys I might still consider buying the X-Men line but since I have stopped collecting X-Men comics, and the toys look considerably different it made quiting that collection easy. Now all I pick up is the Wolverine & his enemies, and Cable & figures associated with him (Domino & Marvel Girl).
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3092 on: March 3, 2008, 03:26 PM »
I did a comparison of the new FF figs with previous versions last night.  The Sue Storm figures are in scale and might even be the tiniest bit bigger than the Jessica Alba versions.  Pretty wild and surprising to me.  Johnny is in the same scale almost exactly as previous versions (Toybiz or later orange carded versions). 

Much to my surprise this Doom figure is actually larger than the previous Toybiz versions. 

The Thing?  Mini-me.  What were they thinking on that one.  It's kinda funny as I went through all my stuff, it looks like Marvel figs are starting to mimic the DC figures with a scale that's all over the place, all the time. 

Oh, and I was reminded that I own Dragonman and Kang.   ;D

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3093 on: March 11, 2008, 12:54 PM »
It sure seems to have been a lull lately in all things Marvel.  I think the last time I bought a Legends figure was before Christmas (the F4/Spidey/HML 3 waves), and I haven't heard anything of HML 4 showing up anytime soon.  It might be due to Hasbro taking over the license, the character selection dwindling, or just so many lines out there these days - but it is starting to seem like DCUC is taking that area's thunder a little bit.  I mean, Marvel had its time with the 15 mostly great waves from Toy Biz alone, so I can understand any shift in attention there might be.  Plus, Hasbro does seem to have plenty on their plate these days with Star Wars, Indy, Iron Man/Hulk movies, Transformers, Joe (not to mention movies for Joe and TF again next year).

I grew up more of a Marvel fan, although I've always enjoyed both universes, but I have to admit I'm a little more excited for the DCUC line lately.  Of course, I think a lot of that may be because I already have my "ultimate" Spidey, Cap, F4, X-Men, etc. and we're still looking forward to pretty much all of the "big guns" from DC, outside of Batman and Superman.  I'm curious to see what the Legends line holds for this year beyond HML and the Hulk waves, like what we'll see in the 2-packs.  Is anyone else's interest dwindling a bit?  I'm sure once the new stuff starts hitting, things will change, because I am looking forward to long-requested figures like Black Bolt and Tigra.  Anyways, random thoughts, just noticing a quiet down on the Marvel Legends side of things lately.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3094 on: March 11, 2008, 01:39 PM »
It sure seems to have been a lull lately in all things Marvel.  I think the last time I bought a Legends figure was before Christmas (the F4/Spidey/HML 3 waves), and I haven't heard anything of HML 4 showing up anytime soon.  It might be due to Hasbro taking over the license, the character selection dwindling, or just so many lines out there these days - but it is starting to seem like DCUC is taking that area's thunder a little bit.  I mean, Marvel had its time with the 15 mostly great waves from Toy Biz alone, so I can understand any shift in attention there might be.  Plus, Hasbro does seem to have plenty on their plate these days with Star Wars, Indy, Iron Man/Hulk movies, Transformers, Joe (not to mention movies for Joe and TF again next year).

That was what was nice about Toy Biz. We got a new wave every 4-5 months. That and there weren't variant cases that only had the variant figures in it. The Variants were in all the cases. I am really glad I am done with this line for the most part.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3095 on: March 11, 2008, 01:51 PM »

I grew up more of a Marvel fan, although I've always enjoyed both universes, but I have to admit I'm a little more excited for the DCUC line lately.  Of course, I think a lot of that may be because I already have my "ultimate" Spidey, Cap, F4, X-Men, etc. and we're still looking forward to pretty much all of the "big guns" from DC, outside of Batman and Superman.  I'm curious to see what the Legends line holds for this year beyond HML and the Hulk waves, like what we'll see in the 2-packs.  Is anyone else's interest dwindling a bit?  I'm sure once the new stuff starts hitting, things will change, because I am looking forward to long-requested figures like Black Bolt and Tigra.  Anyways, random thoughts, just noticing a quiet down on the Marvel Legends side of things lately.

I think you're actually being modest about the legends line - it has been nothing short of dead the last year from what I have seen.  Two waves over the course of a year?  YAWN.  I hit a good variety of stores and I never see a changeup of these figs.  They have to be some of the slowest moving product in the aisle.  Although to be fair, I'm not really seeing a lot of sell thru on the new DC line either...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3096 on: March 11, 2008, 02:24 PM »
We've been largely stuck on wave 1 up here for a very long time.  Wave 2 barely showed and we're now on wave 3, but only at a couple of retailers and in small amounts.   TRU likely won't carry anything ever again I'd guess.  I'm thinking this line is all but dead and no one at Hasbro has either realized it or admitted it yet. 

As for movie toys, I'm not pleased to see more movie based toys yet again.  I think there's neat stuff for the IM movie, but it'll clog just like FF1, FF2, Hulk, Superman, Spiderman, POTC, Ghost Rider, etc.  It'll sell well from Hasbro's perspective, marginally from Walmart's perspective and miserably from my perspective.  Since I'm the end consumer, I'm the only one whose opinion matters ;)

DCUC has been selling quite well here.  But: only one retailer and only putting out a case at a time, then seemingly getting another case in on an 'as needed' basis.  I'm really hoping we switch over to wave 2 soon though, as slowly but surely we're seeing some sitting now.  But I can't find every figure lying around at every store, which is more than I can say for TMNT toys ::)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3097 on: March 11, 2008, 03:51 PM »
I didn't actually think anyone bought TMNT toys anymore so imagine how surprised I was to find some parents shopping for some specific figures from that line at WM the other day!  They had a wish list of some type and were going through pegs pulling out what they needed.

As for the ML figures, they barely move here.  There seems to be one or two popular figures from each wave that disappear no matter how many cases get put out but the extra stuff just gets ugly hanging there.  And it's kind of the same for the other Marvel lines.  I don't think my Target even kept the FF line after they reset, they just have ML and Spider-Man right now.

WM has Spider-Man, ML and the FF line the last I checked.  Oh, and both stores have the Super Hero Squad stuff. 

I keep my eye on the ML line but there were only ever a couple of characters that I wanted.  Now that Hasbro has the line it just seems that the well of characters is about dry till they start doing their own take on the major players.

Eric...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3098 on: March 11, 2008, 04:12 PM »
Collectors may not buy the TMNT stuff, but the kids eat that **** up.  Both my son and nephew love those ******* toys (Me, I'm waiting for NECA's version).

It's similar to Power Rangers.  Those god damn toys have been clogging shelves since the mid-nineties.  **** must be selling to stay on the shelves for 10+ years.  It's obviously the kids buying that crap because I don't think I've ever seen a collection of Power Rangers toys (and I've seen people collect some weird and **** toys over the years).

As for Marvel, yeah I'm winding down.  Too much crap and honestly, there's not much more I'd want.  I actually like Fin Fang Foom but I'm not buying 4 **** figures to get him (and that's assuming that there's actually 2 figures in the second wave I want). 
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3099 on: March 11, 2008, 04:19 PM »
Yeah, I'm kind of thinking that we'll start seeing more and more "Hasbro takes" on the big guns from Marvel.  We've already seen the 4, some Spidey stuff (mostly movie though at this point), and a Daredevil is on the way as well.  I don't know how much I'll pick up of any of that type of stuff, unless its a big improvement.  I'm pretty happy with the Toy Biz versions of everyone, although every once in awhile Hasbro has really done a nice job (I like their Doom, for instance).  The one thing I have noticed, at least with the figures I've picked up, is the Hasbro Legends seem a little sturdier overall (from a loose joints/standing perspective).  I'm looking forward to a couple of the announced figures, and I'll likely pick up a Mark 3 Iron Man from that movie line to fit in with my Legends (I just have the Face Off Iron Man now, and I'd like a "shiny" version), but I'm curious how much further things will go.  If it wraps up, I'd be ok, as it would be one less line to tempt me with.  I don't know if it will go away or not though, but I could see more of the "themed" waves, coinciding with whatever Marvel movie is out each year.  I think I have read already that Hasbro says there will be more X-figures out next year when the Wolverine movie is in theaters, so maybe that's how things will go from now on.

There seems to be the same Legends hanging on the pegs around here, but I have to admit I don't look as closely right now since the same waves have been out for some time.  It does seem to be mostly be Wave 3 now, and every once in awhile I'll see a Wave 2 or Spidey Movie wave figure.  Our local TRU has finally gotten some in (Wave 3), alongside their stacks and stacks of Silver Wolvie, Emma Frost, and Black Queen exclusives.  It doesn't seem like the waves are selling all that quickly, certainly not the way we saw much of the Toy Biz stuff move.

DCUC seems to be selling pretty well here.  Our town was mainly sold out until recently when TRU and Target seemed to get some more shipments.  I seem to see Batman, Penguin, and Red Tornado the most often - although I've seen each of them on occasion.  I still need to pick up Etrigan to finish the BAF (since I'm this close, I'll be a sucker and pick up the whole wave), and of course, I haven't seen that figure lately.  That said, compared to what we've seen is coming up with Waves 2-4, this wave is probably the weakest overall and it still seems to be selling.  We'll see where it goes from here.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3100 on: March 11, 2008, 04:38 PM »
When Toy Biz had the Legends line this stuff couldn't sit on the selves long enough to collect dust. Now it does nothing but sit.

It's similar to Power Rangers.  Those god damn toys have been clogging shelves since the mid-nineties.  **** must be selling to stay on the shelves for 10+ years.  It's obviously the kids buying that crap because I don't think I've ever seen a collection of Power Rangers toys (and I've seen people collect some weird and **** toys over the years).

You would think that after 15 years, and 15 different incarnations of Power Rangers I am saddened that this crap is still around. There has to be a point where the normal human mind just runs out of ideas for this damn show. I bet the writers are the biggest bunch crack smokers on the planet to come up with this crap year in and year out.

I don't think there is a person out there that collects everything Power Rangers. For the simple fact is that he/she would get laughed at worst than any other toy collecter for collecting a truely lame line of toys.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3101 on: March 11, 2008, 04:47 PM »
Collectors may not buy the TMNT stuff, but the kids eat that **** up.  Both my son and nephew love those ******* toys (Me, I'm waiting for NECA's version).

Yeah, I know.  That stuff must sell like crazy because it's forever well stocked, frustratingly so and probably forms the the primary basis for sales at places like Walmart, along with Hot Wheels.  Stuff that sells, has limited licensing fees and is sufficiently cheap that a quick purchase is nearly assured.  

BTW, Power Rangers are onto some Jungle theme now in the latest incarnation.  It's the same show as 15 years ago, just different actors.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3102 on: March 14, 2008, 10:24 AM »
MarvelousNews has pics up of Series 2 of the "Spider-Man Heroes and Villains" collection.  More of the same - movie re-releases and previous Spidey classics repaints.  Included are Rhino, Shocker, Sandman, Black Spidey, and a couple of red Spideys.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3103 on: March 14, 2008, 10:29 AM »
 :-\

I guess they don't want the money from collectors anymore.  I'm sure those will continue to sell well on impusle buys to moms and dads with kids in tow, but not to me. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3104 on: March 14, 2008, 11:26 AM »
Nothing there I'm interested in either, and I'm not sure why Hasbro seems to be fond of the glossy/shiny repaints of some of the older stuff.  I'd pick up re-releases of the figures like the box set Black Cat or Electro, but otherwise I'm just looking for new figures (like MJ, Jonah, Gwen, Aunt May, Chameleon, Hammerhead, etc.)