Author Topic: Marvel Legends  (Read 409637 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3240 on: July 24, 2008, 08:04 AM »
Looks like Walmart is getting an Ares BAF wave consisting of:
-Crossbones
-Scarlet Spider
-Kang
-Guardian
-Vision
-Heroes Reborn Iron Man
-Ultimate War Machine
-Human Torch

Eight figures to build Ares?  **** off, Hasbro.  Take a clue from Mattel and do five (or even six) figures in a wave.  I'm down for the first four on the above list and if I can get the remaining pieces for a really good price, then I will.  If not, then I'll be Ares-less.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3241 on: July 24, 2008, 08:19 AM »
That's nuts !!!

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3242 on: July 24, 2008, 08:29 AM »
And its not an exciting wave or BAF worthy character in my opnion. It seems to have 2 repacks fromt he Toy biz days and an Ultimate figure i have no interest in.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3243 on: July 24, 2008, 09:53 AM »
Yeah, the fact that a character/figure like Ares is a BAF in the first place is probably silly (he could/should be able to be single carded himself), but the fact that there is 8 figures to build him is ridiculous.  I wouldn't mind having an Ares, but I'm not buying this whole wave.  There are a few things in there I'm interested in (Scarlet Spider, Vision, Human Torch), but I can't justify buying the whole works.  Wal-Mart will have about as many ML figures to themselves this year than there will be total it seems ;).  Is ML just going to be an exclusive line from now on?  It almost seems like it with the way the year has gone.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3244 on: July 24, 2008, 10:31 AM »
Someone over at thefwoosh mentioned that after the FFF, Red Hulk, Holocaust and Ares waves, the BAF concept will be retired and any future ML will be coming out in two packs (similar to the Kree/Skrull, Shield/Ninja, etc. we've already seen).
Common sense isn't so common

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3245 on: July 24, 2008, 11:42 AM »
For some reason that doesnt seem to bother me as much it did in the past. I am more than ready to going back and buying just what i like. I am a sucker for a BAF and tend to get the whole wave.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3246 on: July 24, 2008, 12:07 PM »
For some reason that doesnt seem to bother me as much it did in the past. I am more than ready to going back and buying just what i like. I am a sucker for a BAF and tend to get the whole wave.

Agree.

that wave that Mikey D posted is by far the WORST WAVE EVER!!! I mean seriouly what a joke of a series of toys. I might get Guardian for my Wolvrine enemies galary, but won't loose any sleep if I don't ever find it.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3247 on: July 24, 2008, 12:13 PM »
Someone over at thefwoosh mentioned that after the FFF, Red Hulk, Holocaust and Ares waves, the BAF concept will be retired and any future ML will be coming out in two packs (similar to the Kree/Skrull, Shield/Ninja, etc. we've already seen).

I guess I could see that.  It might just be me, but it just seems to me that there is a sort of "who cares" attitude with the ML line at Hasbro.  Don't get me wrong, they are showing a fair amount of new stuff lately, and it looks like there will be a ton coming out for the last 6 months or so of the year - but things have changed so much since the Toy Biz days in many respects.  The quality issues have been discussed before, but now it seems like every wave is retailer exclusive, if any larger figures come out they now cost more, Build a Figures are normal sized figures split up into 20 parts, things like that.  I'm sure character selection at this point doesn't help either (with most to all of the "big guns" being done, and done well, already) - but the DCUC line just seems more appealing at this point.

Like I've said before, I'm ok with it dying down (or off eventually) at this point.  I too am a "pick and choose" collector with this line, and I'll just be grabbing mainly Spidey-related stuff and a few other characters here and there from here on out.  I still wonder if we won't see that long rumored 3 3/4" line at some point, as it gives Hasbro the opportunity to "start from scratch" with the entire Marvel U.  Plus, that scale seems to be their bread and butter for the most part otherwise.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3248 on: July 24, 2008, 12:51 PM »
I guess it's a good thing they're releasing Kang though, isn't it?  I have mine anyway from the FF line, but I think most are in the minority. 

As for the entire wave mentioned for me - pass.  Nothing in there I want unless it's a new sculpt from Hasbro and really well done.   ::)  Yeah, that'll happen. 

Oh yeah, TRUs up here are clearing out Hasbro ML wave 1 at $9 a figure.  Again... ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3249 on: July 24, 2008, 04:58 PM »

Cost is probably an issue too. How much of their profits are getting eaten up by BAF pieces? Technically they are suppose to be free, but considering we were paying $7-$9 a pop when Toy Biz had the line, and now we are up to a minimum of $10 they can't be making that much off of these things. Especially with the cost of oil being what it is. They are taking a huge hit from puchase of the supplies to the shipping it to the distributors.

And they won't drop prices when the BAF is done, and I doubt we will see a ton of accessories being added either!
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3250 on: July 25, 2008, 03:08 PM »
The Fwoosh has Part 1 of its Marvel report up, and Mikey's earlier post is true, the BAF will be gone after 2008 - and the line will be going to two packs only from now on.  More info at the linky.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3251 on: July 25, 2008, 06:25 PM »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3252 on: July 25, 2008, 07:24 PM »
I was just looking through the slide show, and even thought I have all these 6" versions, I have to say that they look pretty sweet.  I know myself, and I'm likely in for at least some of these.  I'm just a sucker for the 3 3/4" scale stuff, but we'll see.  It sounds like they are looking for an ambitious launch and a big push for this line (comic packs, etc.) and if I'm reading between the lines in the Q and A stuff right, it almost sounds like they would just as soon this be the main line and phase out Legends.  Just they way it seems with all the "figuring out what to do with Legends" comments.  Anyways, the new line (is it called Marvel Universe?) looks pretty nice.

EDIT: Just looking through the slides a bit further, and this line does look really nice to me.  I'm not a carded guy, but the cardbacks look spiffy to me and kind of reminds me of the vintage Secret Wars line in a way with the whole premise of the line.  It looks like a fairly diverse lineup starting off too.  I'm definitely in for some of these, even with $100s already spent on the Legends scale.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 07:37 PM by Brian »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3253 on: July 25, 2008, 09:12 PM »
These are awesome!  Count me in!  Very surprised at the figure selection so far - Cap, Iron Man, and Wolvie are no brainers, but three versions of Iron Man?  Moon Knight?  Ronin?  If you're going to make an obscure New Avengers fig, why not make an Ares for a change?  Also, did it look like some of these might be variants?  multiple Iorn Man, Ms. Marvel, etc?  I sure hope not...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #3254 on: July 26, 2008, 12:29 AM »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.