Author Topic: Marvel Legends  (Read 410836 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #240 on: April 6, 2004, 11:42 AM »
Has anyone tried arranging all the various pieces of the sentinel bases?  Have they given us enough parts to build a 'floor' made out of a sentinel?  Just wondering if they put that much forethought into the process.  Otherwise, why so many Sentinel pieces?

Back to that topic....I have always wondered that as well Morgbug.  I personally don't have quite all of the Sentinel bases (no Sabertooth), but I was wondering how they would look all set up together too.  It would be cool if they made it work out in some way, but they're probably not quite in scale with each other.  Although I don't really know.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #241 on: April 6, 2004, 03:35 PM »
Has anyone heard for sure when the next wave of Legends is supposed to hit (ML 6)?  I think Entertainment Earth has them around August, I guess I thought they would be here sooner than that (and they very well could be too).  It seems like it has been awhile since 5 hit, but I guess that is ok, not like I have money burning a hole in my pocket anyways :P.  Especially with all the Star Wars stuff this year, and picking up the occasional Spidey fig now.  Just curious if anyone had heard when they were being released.  I guess in a way, I kind of like the slower release schedule of Legends (compared to Star Wars), it allows a person to keep up reasonably well without going into the poor house :).

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Marvel Legends
« Reply #242 on: April 7, 2004, 01:03 AM »
Yeah, the one thing I like about Toy Biz is that they allow each wave to run its course before dumping on another one. Notice I said 'the ONE thing'. ::)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #243 on: April 7, 2004, 11:40 AM »
Don't I wish.  As the official dumping ground for toys no one else will buy (i.e. Canada) we have been inundated with Marvel Legends II.  Again.  Anyone need anything?  Oh yeah, they are sitting at a $13.92 retail price point >:( :'(  

So much for waiting on my luck to find a red skull.  glad I snagged the one for $30 shipped.  Grrrrr.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #244 on: April 9, 2004, 11:31 AM »
Updated ML news

Seems like wave 8 (modern IM, Ult. Cap, Manthing, etc) won't be coming this year.  Also, TB is planning on re-releasing some chase figs (maskless Wolverine, Goliath).  

Ponderings?
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #245 on: April 9, 2004, 11:59 AM »
Thanks for posting Mikey.  I guess I'm kind of disappointed that we won't see those Wave 8 figs this year, but not overly surprised.  I guess it is good news that Toy Biz will be releasing some of the chase figs, it will make it easier for some to pick those up now.  I wouldn't mind getting a Maskless Wolvie if I happened upon one.  So I'm guessing Wave 8 will be the first part of 2005 then?  I got into ML around the time of Wave 3, so I'm not sure, but how many waves did TB normally release in a year? 2?  If so, we're at least getting 3 now.  Plus, I guess its fine with me since I wouldn't have the funds to keep up with both Star Wars and ML if Legends came out with as many figs as Star Wars does.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #246 on: April 9, 2004, 02:23 PM »
"art deco"?

That's a strange idea. Whatever floats their boat.

Hopefully, they'll offer Red Skull in greater numbers.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #247 on: April 9, 2004, 02:58 PM »
I must have read that differently than everyone else.  Yikes, that scares me.  Art Deco???  No thanks, and I read it as an increase in the scarcity of the variants?  WTF are they thinking.  I got news for all you fans (i.e. companies that produce variants), it is a limited time phenomenon before people lose interest.  

All the platitudes in that release about the chase pieces being for "collectors".  Where's the barfing icon?  Puh-lease, the bulk end up on ebay, so it has little to do with collectors.  Oh sure, they eventually get there, after a bloody 300%+ markup.  

Seems like everyone is doing their damndest to knock whatever remaining vestiges of completeist were left in me.  No mask wolvie in this line.  3rd jersey Roy by McFarlane.  Red clonetrooper variant.  Shortpacks are stupid and leave the pegs clogged with stuff no one wants.  I was fortunate to find two more Doombots with our current overloading on ML II.  I bothered to count the figs at those stores.  Nothing else has sold in three weeks.  Greaaaaaaaaaaat. ::)  We should next see ML 8.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #248 on: April 9, 2004, 03:04 PM »
I'm disappointed that ML 8 is getting pushed back until next year (I'm guessing, or end of this year), because that had some of the figures I was looking forward to the most (Doc Ock, Iceman, etc.).  I did read on the TNI boards that the "art deco" is referring to variants like Cable and Dark Phoenix, so just changes in the paint...or...art, I guess.  Jay C from those forums posted that over there anyways.

I'm with those of you who aren't fans of "hard to find" figures.  I'm certainly not a completist with this, or any other line, but I could see where it would be really frustrating.  Maybe re-releasing past chase figures will help some people find those.  The color/paint variants wouldn't be so bad if it were the collectors that could find them in the stores.  However, they all end up in seller/scalper hands usually, and end up being on ebay.  Like you said Morgbug, they end up in collections, but for a ginormous markup.  Its too bad this trend seems to be passing on to a variety of lines now, with that Unleashed Red Clonetrooper showing up this week as well.  Not a trend that needs to spread :).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #249 on: April 9, 2004, 03:21 PM »
I guess I should clarify a bit.  My grandest frustration comes from Red Skull.  For big fans of Captain America that is a huge slap in the face.  Had it been a variation on another figure in the line, or maybe there were two versions of Red Skull, it would be better.  That way at least people who wanted a core red skull to fight with their cap wouldn't be out.  Gold Ironman, Doombot, no mask Wolvie, even the upcomoing vision and Phoenix are at least just alternates to regular figs.  

I'm just souring on the chase figure aspect.  Pretty hypocritical for a guy with all the goalie chase from McFarlane, save one; all the ML chase, save one; Indy Kubrick.  It's just, I dunno, frustrating.  I guess it's compounded by being up north too, where nothing ever shows up,  but that's my old gripe everyone here is sick of hearing.  sorry.

Star Wars/Hasbro are testing the waters with that clone IMO.  Not good news as fan boys (like me :'() and scalpers alike will be fighting over it, which gives the impression it's a good thing.  Beware 3 3/4 chase pieces that are not accidental.  

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Marvel Legends
« Reply #250 on: April 9, 2004, 03:31 PM »
Yeah, the Red Skull chase was a huge mistake.  There's just no sense in limiting core characters.  At all.  Even the paint variants suck, since Dark Phoenix is the one I want most.

Pushing back Series 8 is ok with me, so long as it arrives first thing next year.  Really want Storm.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #251 on: April 9, 2004, 04:03 PM »
Yeah, I see your point.  Red Skull was the worst offender of the chase figures.  The ones that are just "variants" with different paint apps, or perhaps a different head, etc. aren't quite as bad since there is at least another more readily available version out there too.  I certainly hope Star Wars doesn't go this route, its hard enough to find the figures themselves the way it is! :)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #252 on: April 10, 2004, 11:44 AM »
That Red Skull fiasco got my panties in a bunch too. I've never found a chase figure from the ML line, and I doubt that will change anytime soon, because I don't work at TRU. Hopefully those figures listed as 'variants' won't really be chases.

But, if I never find a Dark Phoenix, that will undoubtedly be it for me with this line. TB is really starting to push their luck with this and the LOTR line.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #253 on: April 10, 2004, 06:43 PM »
Too bad about series 8, I was looking forward to Man-Thing and Doc Oc the most out of the figures shown this year at toyfair. I hope the box sets are still going to be released.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #254 on: April 13, 2004, 04:14 PM »
I received my Red Skull in the mail today after paying $30 shipped for it (so basically it cost me $23) and I must say, this figure being a chase figure is an absolute tragedy.  It is so very tempting to open.  The base is a tank, very similar to Cap's base, and I expect they complement each other quite well.  The figure itself (from the perspective of it sitting in the package) is very, very well done with the usual high articulation, but a very nice deco job on the uniform.  

Making this figure a chase figure is nothing more than utter stupidity.  >:(