Author Topic: Marvel Legends  (Read 415504 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #375 on: June 25, 2004, 10:35 AM »
Although we've pretty much seen all of the images now, Toy Biz has finally updated their site...with the newer Marvel Legends info:

Toy Biz Marvel Legends

I agree too Scott, about the Vision.  This is another character that to be honest I don't know a whole lot about, but the figures really looks amazing.  I'm so tempted to expand my Marvel Legends lineup here, and figures like Hawkeye and Vision aren't helping that any :P

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #376 on: June 25, 2004, 10:44 AM »
Looks like they have updated the Spidey Classics area as well, I think I'd like to pick up this guy:

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Legends
« Reply #377 on: June 25, 2004, 10:46 AM »
I'm actually reading the story arc right now in the AVengers (around issue 250) where Vision goes wacky

Here's his history...

The metal monstrosity called Ultron created the synthetic humanoid known as the Vision from the remains of the original, android Human Torch of the 1940s to serve as a vehicle of vengeance against the Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Himself constructed by size-changing scientist Henry Pym, Ultron inadvertently gained sentience and rebelled against the Avengers' resident roboticist. The living machine programmed the Vision's neural processors with the brain patterns of the ionically charged costumed champion called Wonder Man and implanted a control crystal to keep him in check.

Ultron dispatched the Vision to draw the Avengers into a deathtrap, and it was during this initial encounter that the diminutive dynamo known as the Wasp coined the synthezoid's name. At first sight of the spectral entity, the horrified heroine called him an "unearthly, inhuman vision." Moved by the Avengers' plight, the Vision betrayed his programming and helped the mighty mortals defeat his calculating creator.

The Vision served the Avengers faithfully for a number of years, standing with his teammates against the foes no single hero could defeat. Tentatively at first, the almost-human android embarked on a romantic relationship with the hex-casting heroine called the Scarlet Witch that blossomed into true love and marriage. The newlyweds left Avengers Mansion to live a quiet life in New Jersey.

When the Vision's malfunctioning control crystal interfered with his ability to reason, he became bent on creating a new golden age of peace on Earth by seizing control of the world's computers and defense systems. Ultimately, the Vision reverted to form by severing his connection to the planet's databanks and extracting the control crystal from his mechanized mind.

In the wake of the android Avengers' meltdown, the nations of Earth came to regard him as a high-level security threat. Government operatives abducted and dismantled the Vision, erasing his memory. The Scarlet Witch and the Avengers recovered their teammates' components, and Pym rebuilt and reprogrammed the Vision. The scientist downloaded the sum total of the Avengers' computer files into the synthezoid's neural processors, but Wonder Man refused to allow a new record of his brain patterns to be synthesized. Apparently, he had grown resentful of his digital doppelganger and was attracted to the Scarlet Witch himself. Hence, the Vision returned to existence sans human emotion, unable even to recall his love for his wife.

The Vision has since uploaded a new set of brain patterns, again acquiring the ability to feel. Though he remembers his time with the Scarlet Witch, he has chosen not to attempt reconciliation. Eager to experience human emotion to the fullest, the synthezoid has made diligent efforts to explore aspects of his personality aside from those pre-programmed by Pym.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #378 on: June 25, 2004, 07:06 PM »
Not liking the clear vision, dont have to worry about finding that one.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Marvel Legends
« Reply #379 on: June 25, 2004, 08:36 PM »
I'm not digging the clear Vision either. I'm glad the chases are back to being lameass variants of the regular figures.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #380 on: June 26, 2004, 02:09 PM »
I'm not digging the clear Vision either. I'm glad the chases are back to being lameass variants of the regular figures.

I agree, I am glad about this too, but I still want a Dark Phoenix.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #381 on: June 28, 2004, 09:38 AM »
This weekend, I picked up the Spider-Man 2 Magnetic Spidey as well, and this is just a fun figure I think.  He's hanging out on our fridge right now.  I also found the Spidey Classics Black Costumed Spider-Man, which I picked up.  I wanted to get the Ultimate Rhino they had there as well, but felt guilty for already buying two figures.  I'm really thinking about running down to TRU to see if it is still there.  For those of you who have that figure, what do you think of it?  Is it a good pick up?  I missed out on the original "comic" Rhino, so thought I might get this one.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #382 on: June 28, 2004, 09:48 AM »
Action-figure.com has an article up on the Fantastic 4 box set, which is hitting in Hong Kong now.  Apparently the box set itself has a "variant", with one release of it containing a "clear" Invisible Woman.  The article is HERE

Image courtesy of Action-Figure.com

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Legends
« Reply #383 on: June 28, 2004, 09:54 AM »
A VARIANT Box Set!!! ::) ::)  I've put up with their crap for a while now but THIS tops it all.  I've about had it

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #384 on: June 28, 2004, 02:41 PM »
It looks like the Johnny has a variant as well, there is a clear flame version and a solid painted version.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #385 on: June 28, 2004, 02:48 PM »
This looks like a wait and see situation to me.  I hope they don't leave the She Hulk out on the cold when it comes to the FF though.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Marvel Legends
« Reply #386 on: June 29, 2004, 10:27 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, the newest 'new low' in toy collecting: Variant Boxed Sets!

::)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #387 on: July 7, 2004, 01:17 PM »
Although I have been primarily a Spidey, sprinkled with some X-Men from ML, collector...I have recently been thinking about going and picking up a few more of the Legends figures.  It will have to wait until I figure out a way to have more space to display both my Star Wars and Marvel collections, but I was just curious what some of your opinions are on the past figures, or which were some of your favorites?  If I pick up any, I'm leaning towards the Fantastic Four (probably wait for the box set, even though the Torch is different), and the Avengers (always enjoyed Capt. America and Iron Man among others) to start out with.  Looking back on those waves, do you feel that Legends has come a long way with their figures, and maybe some (not all) seem a little outdated now?  Also, would a person be better off waiting for future releases (examples of Modern Iron Man and "Ultimate" Captain America coming up).  I might not be able to get more, due to space and budget constrictions, but I always enjoy reading all of your opinions on some of your favorites...they can be from any of the Marvel lines if you like...Legends, Spidey/Hulk/X-Men classics, etc.  Also...while on that topic...do those of you who collect these lines buy them all (sans re-releases or variant/chase)...or do you pick and choose.  How big is your Marvel Universe :)?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #388 on: July 7, 2004, 09:22 PM »
Pick and choose, definitely.  A smattering of spidey thrown in and then the ML stuff I like.  Toy Biz has convinced me to never, ever rush into buying a toy again.  

Here's what I have:
Wave I
Captain America
Iron Man
Iron Man Gold CHASE VARIANT

Wave II
Doctor Doom
The Thing
Doctor Doom Doombot CHASE VARIANT
Hulk with Shirt Variant

Wave III
Wolverine (Yellow and Blue)
Magneto - both original and box set release - happy to unload one ;)
Thor

Wave IV
Gambit - from box set
Beast - from box set
Elektra - both red and white
Goliath with Antman and Wasp CHASE FIGURE - thanks Scott

Wave V
Sabertooth
Colossus
Silver Surfer
Red Skull CHASE FIGURE

Best of Marvel Legends Wal-Mart Exclusives
Thing Trenchcoat
Stealth Armor Iron Man

Here's what I plan to get
Wave VI
Phoenix (green/yellow)
Dark Phoenix (red/gold) CHASE VARIANT
Deadpool/Doop
Wolverine (Brown/Yellow)
Juggernaut

Wave VII
Hawkeye
Apocalypse
Vision

Wave VIII
Doctor Octopus
Captain America (Ultimate) - maybe
Storm
Ice Man

I also have from the box set Rogue and the no mask wolverine.  

From spiderman I have the following:
Ultimate Rhino
black spiderman - later version
Hobgoblin - a must have
Green Goblin - would have passed if I'd known about the S6 set
Venom - ditto
Carnage

Suprisingly I have few of the original spiderman figures from the line.  I have the original red Daredevil and the yellow chase version, but have only the spiderman that hangs from the gargoyle.  Would like the red and black and would still like the red and blue spidey, but I suspect I will be satisfied with the S6 version.  From the movies I have two spideys, super poseable and the movie green goblin.  

As for the FF box set, I'm waiting to see if there is an Amazon sale a la the Urban Legends box and the X-men box.  If there is, great, I'll snag it, but if not, no loss.  As for the regular releases of Namor and Human Torch, well, there are so many on the pegs here that someday they'll have to clearance them, hopefully at a much more reasonable price ( they reg at $12.99 here).

I managed to pass on the Urban Legends box set mostly because I already have the white Elektra already.  I'm not a huge punisher fan and didn't care to get yet another spidey.  All of the daredevil's I've seen in that box are painted much, much better (albeit differently) than the daredevil released in the later spiderman classic wave (same wave as Kraven?).  The Amazon price is fantastic, but I just didn't need more DD or spidey figs.  

I also picked up the Mr. Fixit Hulk and the Absorbing Man figures from the Hulk line of recently.  Both are great, I'd like to pick up an Abomination too, but can live without it.  Smart Hulk is tempting too, but these Hulk figures are far superior, IMO, to either the early ML or the movie line (where's the puking icon?).  

My must haves:
Mr. Fixit Hulk
Elektra - either version would do
Thor - spectacular
Wolverine yellow version, personal fave
Hobgoblin - just a spectacular figure, great articulation and super sculpt
Colossus - wow.

Captain America from series one is an honorable mention but I feel both he and Ironman are too small in terms of scale.  I just don't perceive Wolverine being the same height.  I do love the Cap figure though as it is classic.  Though it nees the Red Skull to complement it completely.  Stoopid chase from buffoons at Toy Biz.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #389 on: July 8, 2004, 10:12 AM »
Well I figured I'd help you out as well with what I have, as I only buy the ones I like as well.

Here's what I have:
Wave I
Captain America
Iron Man
Hulk

Wave II
Doctor Doom
The Thing
Human Torch

Wave III
Ghost Rider
Thor
Movie Daredevil

X-Men Box Set

Wave IV
Elektra - red
Punisher

Wave V
Sabertooth
Colossus
Silver Surfer
Red Skull
Blade
Nick Fury

Planning to get:

Wave VI
Phoenix
Dark Phoenix
Deadpool
Juggernaut
Movie Punisher
Cable

FF Box Set
Sinster 6 Box Set

Wave VII
Hawkeye
Apocalypse
Vision

Wave VIII
Doctor Octopus
Man-Thing (I think the coolest ML)
Storm
Ice Man

Spider-Man Classics
Scorpion

Spider-Man Classics (both series):
Symbiote Spider-Man (original Version)
Spider-Man (Original Version)
Classic Rhino
Hobgoblin
Green Goblin - dont really like it
Venom - cool, but new one is better
Carnage
Kraven - wish I knew about the box set

Marvel Select
Venom - w/ White Spider on his chest (Best Venom ever made in my opinion, the one I love. Much better than the box set version coming out)

Hulk Classics:
Abomination
Absorbing Man
Mecha Hulk
Bruce Banner

Wants that are out:
Namor (i really am not into that figure, want a green Underwear version)
Joe Fixit (undecided on this)
Smart Hulk  (undecided here too)
Doombot
Goliath