Author Topic: G.I. Joe Renegades - Cartoon Series  (Read 17329 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe Renegades - Cartoon Series
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2011, 12:27 AM »
Maybe Hasbro feels the movie line would look so different from the other stuff, they just want to focus their resources on one thing... who knows.  But I do think all things considered, the ROC line rocked.  Would have preferred a few more characters made like young Snake Eyes, young Storm Shadow, the President and Baroness as a blond prisoner, but overall, pretty good.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2011, 07:13 AM »
I never even got around to watching a single episode so no love lost for me.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2011, 10:04 AM »
I really like Renegades.  This bums me out.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2011, 03:00 AM »
I haven't seen any of the new cartoon because I don't get Hub network, and I haven't bothered to watch it online.  However, I think it's kind of shady to drop a show because it may interfere with a live action film that, as far as I know, doesn't even have a script yet!

The toys, on the other hand, are a little different.  Where Star Wars can support both movie and animated toy lines, I don't think the base is there to do that with Joe.  I could see Hasbro not wanting to divide the market when the inevitable toy line hits for the film, but that shouldn't have an impact on the cartoon.  I don't see any of the the Marvel or DC comics and/or toys suddenly stopping production because there's a big screen film of their main characters about to open.  ****, it would have been a GOOD thing for Marvel to have Hasbro stop putting Iron Man figures in the MU line while the IM2 line was in full swing, but they didn't.

And maybe I'm wrong on this, but it seems that of the boy toy lines Hasbro actually owns, Joe and Transformers are the two best suited to a cartoon.  Why would you create an entire network and then put one of your best options for a show on hiatus?  Bad ratings, maybe, but since you own the damn network, I'd think you'd take more than one season to try and build a fan base.  I'm trying to think, but other than maybe in the comics or on the toys, I don't believe I've seen any advertising for the cartoon...maybe Hasbro should spend a couple bucks on promotion.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2011, 01:44 PM »
I only saw the first episode online and wasn't all that impressed, so this is whatever. I do however think it's crazy to put all their eggs in the live-action movie basket, since worked out for them so well last time.  ::)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2011, 08:49 PM »
It is probably a combination of things (quality of movies/toons, changing interests and short attention spans, and younger kids getting into video games/computers/etc.), but it just seems like G.I. Joe hasn't caught on with the kids of this generation - at least for the most part.  I know there are likely some (I know our nephews were into it for a bit - but moreso the 25th anniversary stuff than the movie stuff, due to both their dad and myself), but overall it just doesn't seem that most kids care all that much.  Transformers, on the other hand, seems to have both stuck on with older collectors and brought in some kids along the way as well (particularly with the movie, but I think the toons have done decently well too).  I don't know what it is about Joe that it hasn't caught on as much (maybe due to many factors), because it was every bit as huge - if not more so, at least in my group of friends - as Transformers when I was a kid.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2011, 02:17 PM »
I think maybe Hasbro needs to go back to basics with the Joes.  There was something magical about the early 1980s stuff that is still awesome... my son is almost 4, and he's obsessed with it.  Having a dad though who supports it like me definitely fuels some of that though.

However, when his friends come over, they want to play GI Joe all day and night.  But they really aren't familiar with many of the characters other than Duke, Snake Eyes, Cobra Commander and Storm Shadow.  But when they watch the old cartoon, they really seem to enjoy it... I'm wondering it being on The Hub network is going to help drive more interest in the classic stuff with the kids... I think that it might help some. 

And since POC hit retail, it moves very well.  I don't really see any backup at all, which is surprising.  I think the only figure I'd really classify as a drag would be the Polar Destro.  Everything else really moves pretty well, even restocks of Wave One and this is across all retailers.  And I do see some kids getting that stuff too, so I think the brand has gained some popularity with the younger generation the past year or so.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 3, 2012, 08:19 AM »
Thought I'd bump this to mention that I noticed the availability of this show on Netfix streaming.  I can FINALLY catch up on the last few episodes I missed!

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 3, 2012, 04:29 PM »
I think maybe Hasbro needs to go back to basics with the Joes.  There was something magical about the early 1980s stuff that is still awesome...

I could not agree more with this.  They totally missed the boat with their last two animated endeavors.  Resolute, as cool as it may have been for the dorky adult fans who want everything Nolanized and gritty, sure didn't gain any kid viewers.  While softer, Renegades required way too much to follow and took too long to introduce other Joes for most kids.  When there were introductions of guys like Airtight or Breaker or Shipwreck, they were essentially glorified cameos.

My kid is 8 and he watched almost every episode of Renegades with me, but he vastly prefers the old school cartoons.  There's a very simple formula, and with the exception of a few two parters or mini-series things, it all gets wrapped up in a single episode where a few key good guys fight a few key bad guys.  That **** works.

I watch the old toons all the time, and they're brilliant 30 minute commercials that highlight a few main staples (e.g. Snake Eyes, Duke, Scarlett, etc.), but give everybody else a chance to shine, which makes you want to go out and add that guy to your collection.  Giving the characters distinct personalities, even if they were stereotypes, was brilliant.

If they'd go back to basics, I think the line could do extremely well with kids as well as adult collectors.

Marvel's doing a wonderful job of this with its Avengers cartoon, by the way.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2012, 04:31 PM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 4, 2012, 02:00 PM »
Yeah, my son is almost 5, and he watched Renegades, but is obsessed with the old Joe cartoon.  And those toys too... he'll watch the old Joe stuff over any other cartoon series. 

He also prefers the Season 1 (old school blue Cobra designs) to the Season 2 (Serpentor era) stuff.  But he likes both Season 1 and Season 2 Joe designs.

It's really fun having a little boy who is already a diehard.  He's been into this since I first gave him a Cobra Commander figure when he was 2-1/2 years old, he held it and said, "My Commander!  My Commander!" 

What a great memory.   :)

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 5, 2012, 01:02 PM »
I only found out there WAS a renegades series of cartoons by following teh action figures iv enever seen any kind of ad or anything about it

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 5, 2012, 11:19 PM »
And I think that was a huge misstep by Hasbro.  I read several of the GI Joe news sites and I was at the 2010 GI Joe Con where they were talking about the show, but otherwise, I didn't see any advertising about it either until the figures came out.

I know Hasbro was trying to kick off their new network and a great way to do that is leverage all your top properties, but when your network isn't really available in that many households you're gonna have a problem.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 9, 2012, 08:44 AM »
Agreed.  It is too bad though, because I think the show is really good.  The writing isn't as "adult" as Resolute was, but it is a notch better than the ARAH stuff.  I love the art style too.  I have a few episodes left and I will be sad to be finished with it.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2012, 09:36 PM »
The series finale on Netflix is not the same series finale that was broadcast...I mean, at least not the "very special ending."
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2012, 09:14 AM »
I thought I read something about that.  I just saw it on YouTube and it is pretty funny, but hopefully it means that they will continue this in some way as has been rumored.  I really liked this show.