Author Topic: Jabba's Palace in a coffee table (Updated)  (Read 19767 times)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Jabba's Palace in a coffee table (Updated)
« on: May 22, 2010, 10:59 AM »
This is an idea I had about 10 years ago. Basically, living in New York means that you don't have a lot of space. My idea was to find cool ways to display my collection without having it really intrude on my living space. What I created was a diorama of Jabba's palace that's built into a coffee table. I built the coffee table myself and covered it with a glass top. Currently it's less of a coffee table and more of a work table in my office (it's very sturdy), but the fact that it's still a functional, usable object in my apartment keeps it true to the original goal.

Here's some shots of the interior, since they're much more interesting than shots of a table. I'll probably upload some of those later.

I still have to do some detail painting (the archway glyphs mainly), and add a bunch of hookahs, bowls, fruit, snack stands and whatever else clutters up Jabba's throne room. There's also a droid dungeon, but due to the size constraints of this being built in a coffee table, I've placed it on a sort of second floor (rather than below the throne room). When I have a house and kids, I plan on boosting this up, building a Rancor pit and proper droid dungeon, and using it as a big display piece rather than a work table.

And here's a couple shots of the interior without figures or lights on...

« Last Edit: October 3, 2010, 09:51 PM by LandotheScoundrel »
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Jabba's Palace in a coffee table
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 11:51 AM »
For years - literally YEARS, I have been waiting to see pics of what you've been hinting about with this.

This is truly amazing - a masterpiece on par with the greatest dioramas I've seen made.  The rooms are so well done, the lighting is stellar and every detail is precise.  You really didn't skip on any of the details from what I can see.  Wow.  I can say that I've never come even close to making something this cool.

I hope you do share pics of the entire table!  And congrats on this amazing masterpiece!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 11:54 AM »
Wow! This is pretty cool, and inside the coffee table no less? That's pretty sweet. Love the detail and dungeon-y feel, just like the real palace. Would love to see the table and how it all works out. Excellent work, Lando!

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 12:14 PM »
Thanks guys!

I'm really happy with how it turned out. I'll definitely post some pics of the table (it's a bit cluttered right now). I'm really looking forward to polishing this set off with a new Jabba. My only concern is whether the dais will fit, as the current one (which is the vintage one I got in 1983) fits very snugly.

I think I can honestly say this is the only coffee table in existence with a functioning trap door!

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 09:10 PM »
Impressive..... most impressive....  ;)
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 06:46 PM »
Wow man...  Simply Wow.

That's some of the more creative work I've seen to display something on a space budget...  The constraints of what you have as a display area is always a HUGE problem.  I've taken to hanging a lot from the ceiling and things, which at least alleviates ships from taking up too much space, but that's really ingenius to actually build a Jabba's display into a functional piece of furniture...  My hat is off to you on that.

How'd you light it?  Anything to the wiring or did you just pick up some stuff that was already wired and work it in?

Color me completely jealous of the idea...  I never would've even thought to build a scene into a coffee table. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 10:54 PM »
And this could be something doable that could make both you and the wife happy. New furniture, which happens to house a Star Wars display!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 01:48 AM »
When can we see more pics of the actual table Lando?  I'd really dig seeing it, and I think everyone else would too.  I'm actually more interested in seeing the broader project.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 09:39 AM »
I will definitely take some pics of the table. It's fairly simple, and the stucco look is carried over to the outside. I still need to stain the wood, and I'm thinking it will be hand rubbed at this point, after I do a little more sanding. The glass top allows you to look down into the diorama, and there are plenty of openings on the sides.

This was originally meant to be a coffee table, but now it's more of a work table (a cocktail ottoman is much better for entertaining than a Jabba's Palace coffee table, believe it or not) in my office.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 10:48 PM »
Wow.  This looks amazing.  I feel like you've been working on this for ages.  Just awesome.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 07:57 PM »
I still need to stain the wood, and I'm thinking it will be hand rubbed at this point, after I do a little more sanding.

An excellent idea with the plan to stain it.  It sounds like you have things well in-hand there.

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 02:39 PM »
That's awesome but get this... How about a coffee table book about coffee tables made from Jabba's palace....and here is the kicker ...it's a book about coffee tables made from Jabba's palace and it turns into a coffee table.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 3, 2010, 09:51 PM »
Here's some new shots of the diorama, with a couple shots of the table itself. You can see it's a pretty simple design, with a glass top. There are a few places where I intend to add details to hide the access panels for replacing lightbulbs. I'm also planning to stain the wood at some point. But basically, it's just a work table at this point (and it's damn sturdy)...you know, aside from the whole "Jabba's Palace" thing...

With the AT-TE for scale...

The alcove rooms are open in the back, so they're accessible from the side of the table.

Yes, I know that Oola was dead by the time this scene came around...

The droid dungeon is currently in a small room located "upstairs" from the carbonite area. Right above that little alcove where Jabba surprises Leia while she's trying to rescue Han.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Jabba's Palace in a coffee table (Updated)
« Reply #13 on: October 4, 2010, 12:12 AM »
Loks great, Lando!  Must feel good to "complete" that project!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Jabba's Palace in a coffee table (Updated)
« Reply #14 on: October 4, 2010, 09:24 AM »
Thanks! It's getting there. I basically just have some detail work to do, like the archway glyphs, hookahs, etc. I'll probably do a bit more weathering, but I want to be careful not to overdo it.

Once I get Woof and about 5 or 6 Gammoreans in there, I'm going to be psyched.