Author Topic: Why does Vader Die?  (Read 11689 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Why does Vader Die?
« on: May 23, 2010, 06:28 PM »
Caught ROTJ on Spike this evening (again) and it had me wondering.  Luke got shocked by the Emperor's lightning for a minute or two and was completely fine afterwards, but Vader only got the treatment for a few seconds or so as he tossed the old man and he kicked the bucket soon after.  Granted he just got his hand chopped off and is more "robot" than man, but.....
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Why does Vader Die?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 09:00 PM »
He also has a life support system in that suit that was pretty bady damaged due to the power surge...notice how his breathing is different after he tosses the Emperor over the side.

It was also in the script.   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 01:29 PM »
Simple:  He dies because what in the world are you supposed to do with him if he lives?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 05:28 PM »
Simple:  He dies because what in the world are you supposed to do with him if he lives?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.  ;D
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 06:07 PM »
^ No idea what the **** that's even supposed to mean, much less what's funny about it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 06:11 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 08:37 PM »
It's from the Infinities comic series...at the end of ROTJ, neiter Vader or the Emperor died, yet Vader returned to the light side of the force.  He was injured but came out of the medical bay in white armor and vowed to help track doen the Emperor.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 11:03 PM »
Oh, so it's just more Exhausted Universe garbage, then?  I see.  Thanks.

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 05:13 AM »
Vader's exposure to the force lightning played havoc with the electrically regulated breathing system that he had as his one and only life support.

Bar being in a hyperbaric chamber (like the one you see him in ESB) he could not sustain long periods of time without the mask and breathing system.

A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 10:00 AM »
Oh, so it's just more Exhausted Universe garbage, then?  I see.  Thanks.

I've said this numerous times, but I think it's hilarious when some of you get so angry over EU. Just ignore it and leave it for us who enjoy it. It'll be ok.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 10:43 AM »
I've said this numerous times, but I think it's hilarious when some of you get so angry over EU.

Hardly angry over it, just had no idea what it was.

Just ignore it and leave it for us who enjoy it. It'll be ok.

Hey, I'm tryin' to, buddy!  This is the Original Trilogy section, after all.  I was hoping I'd be safe from that crap in here, but it just wasn't meant to be this time.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 10:50 AM »
I've said this numerous times, but I think it's hilarious when some of you get so angry over EU.

Hardly angry over it, just had no idea what it was.

Just ignore it and leave it for us who enjoy it. It'll be ok.

Hey, I'm tryin' to, buddy!  This is the Original Trilogy section, after all.  I was hoping I'd be safe from that crap in here, but it just wasn't meant to be this time.

My "It'll be Ok" comment deserved your "Buddy" comment. But the "Exhausted Universe, garbage" sounded angry to me. Having said that you are certainly correct that this is the "OTC" thread and EU answers maybe don't fit.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 10:52 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 11:13 AM »
But the "Exhausted Universe, garbage" sounded angry to me.

Oh, I just say stuff like that to tweak any Exhausted Universe garbage-lovers who might be reading.  And it sometimes works.  But I don't get angry about it, just like I don't get angry when talking about regular garbage.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 04:11 PM »
The "White Vader" is beyond stupid...  I cannot believe Hasbro even made a figure of that.  It does answer the question what someone would do with Vader if he lived though, and it's a really bad answer.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 01:58 PM »
I happen to like the EU stories.  Whoever posted the bit about Infinities apparently didn't get the point of those publications.  They are supposed to be similar to the "What if?" titles from Marvel that tell of a possible sequence of events that could have happened in some alternate reality. 

"Star Wars Infinities is a group of mini-series published by Dark Horse Comics, which tell non-canon alternate events that branch off from the events of Star Wars Episodes IV-VI. The individual Infinities stories are unrelated to one another.

No where else in the EU does Vader come back to life in white armor to fight for the light side.  The actual EU stories tie in pretty nicely with the movies in most cases.

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 03:38 PM »
I think he "got it", he just thought it was stupid regardless of whether it was to fit with the established movie canon or not.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77