Author Topic: Why does Vader Die?  (Read 11685 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Why does Vader Die?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 03:52 PM »
Well, I think we can all agree to that.

As to the original question, seems pretty simple why Vader died and Luke didn't.  An electrical surge will often jolt a human, but not kill them.  It could  kill someone if the voltage is too high or he is exposed too long.

Now take a small surge of electricity and pipe it into your TV or Home Computer and it's totally fried.  Since Vader was more machine than man, it makes sense that Vader's circuits just fried.

If you want a deeper meaning, you could also hypothesize that Vader was just toying with Luke.  Trying to make him suffer with a lower dose of lightning.  But when Vader picks him, the Emperor realizes the betrayal and risk of life, so he turns up the juice trying to kill Vader as quickly as possible.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 01:21 PM »
So it would be really easy to kill Vader with an EMP burst. So if Vader's star destroyer was hit with an ION cannon pulse, his ship would be disabled and Vader would be dead.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 02:43 PM »
So it would be really easy to kill Vader with an EMP burst. So if Vader's star destroyer was hit with an ION cannon pulse, his ship would be disabled and Vader would be dead.

Hence the giant nipple gun on Hoth....
I am not the Stig

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 05:25 PM »
I'm going to go with Matt's answer of "what do you do with him if he lives?"

If you think about it - when Vader asks Luke to remove his mask, sure Vader's breathing was labored, but it still worked.

You mean to tell me the medical frigate wouldn't have had a facility where they could have cared for him? Of course it did.

So instead of taking off Vader's mask, Luke could have dragged him into the shuttle and plotted a course for the medical frigate, got on board and brought him before the medical droid.

But then what?

Mon Mothma: Well, thank you all for coming to this after-the-Emperor's-death-so-now-what-do-we-do meeting of the Rebel alliance. As many of you may already know, we have a very special guest this evening... the father of Luke & Leia... the guy who tortured several of our comrades to death... the Emperor's former right hand man... Darth Vader is with us, let's give him all a big hand for throwing the Emperor into the reactor!

Um, yeah, doesn't really have as much gravitas as him dying to save his son.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 11:07 PM »
The Force Lightning from the Emporer certainly was a major contributor in Vader's death.  But given the way Lucas dealt with Padme's death in childbirth?  I think if you asked him about it, he would say that Vader was using the Force to help sustain himself.  And his redemption from the Dark Side may have brought him to a level of peace where he could let himself die.

Simple:  He dies because what in the world are you supposed to do with him if he lives?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.  ;D

That Infinities story was definitely cool.  But this look for Anakin in armor was so lame.  The transition from black to white was really hackneyed.  Why not have him in robes/colors that are more realistic and like traditional Jedi robes?

Keep the mechanical parts as black or stainless steel.  Make the leather part of the outfit white/off-white.  And make the robe/cloak brown.  From a story standpoint it would have been a lot easier to digest than the all white nonsense.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 11:11 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 03:29 PM »
Even though Vader saved his son and was redeemed, he would still have to stand trail for war crimes. The new republic would still hang him regardless of being a Clone Wars hero and saving the last Jedi from death. Alot of people after the Battle of Endor though the Jedi shouldn't be allowed to exist anyway.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 4, 2010, 12:49 PM »
His death - aside from the obvious symbolism/redemption aspect - tied the 6 movies up into a neat little box.  As it was Vader's story - it began and ended with him.  Simple.  Period. 
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #22 on: November 4, 2010, 04:16 PM »
Even though Vader saved his son and was redeemed, he would still have to stand trail for war crimes. The new republic would still hang him regardless of being a Clone Wars hero and saving the last Jedi from death. Alot of people after the Battle of Endor though the Jedi shouldn't be allowed to exist anyway.

Exactly what I was going to say. If Vader survived, he would have had to flee to the Star Wars version of Argentina.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: November 6, 2010, 12:58 AM »
That made me LOL.

Because Hitler's remains became something of a mystery after WW2 for a while, he was kind of like Bigfoot with sightings all over the world and stuff...  I wonder if Vader would've had similar things go on with him.

Local Tatooine Hillbilly - "Yeah, we done seen him over yonder in the Dune Sea!  He came outta nowhere, then hopped on a speeder and left.  He's around here though, yup."

The same guy was interviewed about a massive sandstorm on the planet and said, "It sounded like a hovertrain!", to the intergalactic news.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 05:53 PM »
I'd love to see some Tattooine hillbillies looking for Vader ala "Monsterquest" or "Ghost Hunters."
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram