Author Topic: The Rise of Boba Fett Ultimate Battle Pack  (Read 70996 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise of Boba Fett Ultimate Battle Pack
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2010, 10:41 AM »
Thanks Jack, I was just able to find this on the TRU website as well, apparently a new listing, no photo yet:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4020324

Item # 492296
SKU: 1284FA63
UPC: 653569513674

It's listed as "Star Wars Ultimate Battle Pack Vehicles"...$109.99, yikes!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2010, 10:45 AM »
Thanks McMetal - no wonder I haven't been having any success with the other number that was published earlier in the month.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2010, 11:34 AM »
Just watch the regular stores raise their price to $109. That's what they did with the BMF.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2010, 11:38 AM »
Just watch the regular stores raise their price to $109.

They already did...

the last one that they had had a price tag on it for $99.99. TRU rarely has price tags on their merchandise, so when I went to pay it rang up for $109.99! I showed them the price tag and they adjusted it to $99.99. So do not be surprised if you find this at that price

There have been many reports that this set and the AT-AT are now ringing up at $110 at TRU, not $100 as they initially found.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 11:38 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2010, 11:52 AM »
I lucked out then by paying $100, that sticker was my $10 salvation. Even though it's not a huge difference $10 more makes this near unbearable for whats there. If this thing actually had lights and sounds it would help. I would have preferred they added that instead of the other garbage. I still would have paid $100. It would have been awesome to have that delayed sonic boom bomb sound and the rapid fire canons. Add some interior lights and this things would be off the hook (I just made MC Hammer blush by uttering that statement.). I will give it this lots of storage areas which is really neat, I would have loved that if I was still a kid playing with this. another plus on this vvehicle is this has a lot of storage areas which is really neat. I would have loved that if I was still a kid playing with this.

When other get this LMK if you guys have the same issue with the weak canopy connection. If not I will return/swap to have one that stays closed. It's expensive but well worth it, the rest of the set not so much...

My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2010, 12:05 PM »

This is a really cool vehicle with only one big flaw which I will get to but first here is a size comparison:

Thanks for the comparison pic.  It's definitey bigger than the old one and looks much better.

However, the price tag really makes me sick.  I don't think I'm going to be able to justify $100 or so for this when all I really want is the ship. The rest is just crap to me... I suppose I could sell of the extras if I get it, as a local friend of mine is a huge Bossk fan but doesn't want the Slave One at all.  He might take the rest of the lot outside of the Slave One for $30 or $35, but the Slave One would still end up costing me at least $70 then... it's not worth that to me.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2010, 12:18 PM »
I really wonder how much better this might have sold had it been a single ship pack, or just the Slave I with Boba and Bossk even.  I mean, it is just now hitting, so who knows it may end up flying off the shelves - but like many others, I'm sort of on the fence.  I really want the Slave I, and Bossk, but otherwise could take or leave the rest.  Another astro droid is always nice, but I like the upcoming Boba better and could care less about Mace Windu's fighter (although that fighter mold in general is sweet) or the repacked figures.  At $100 (or $110), it makes you think twice, that is for sure.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2010, 12:20 PM »
This is a Boba Fett related toy and I'm NOT going to buy it. For me to say that shows how ridiculous the pricing is. I'll get Bossk when they single card him and be fine with my current Slave 1s.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2010, 12:58 PM »
I'm definitely down for this set - I would have preferred some different figures for Anakin and Mace though - why not pack in the new Mace Windu figure instead of the old one? The old one won't sit in the fighter so the new one should have been used instead.

With Anakin - why not give us a repack of the same Anakin that came with the Cancell or th B'omarr Monestary Assault BP. Why are they giving us the Spacesuit Anakin w/o the helmet yet again?

As far as the exclusive goes - I wouldn't be surprised if this set was originally two separate exclusives that they merged together to make the larger one.

If you think about it - one set could have been Slave I, Boba, Bossk & Aurra Sing, the second set could have been Anakin's Jedi Starfighter, Mace's Jedi Starfighter, Anakin, Mace and the two astromechs - then that way there would have been two Clone Wars UBPs to accompany the two ESB ones at Target.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 12:59 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2010, 01:29 PM »
I'm definitely down for this set - I would have preferred some different figures for Anakin and Mace though - why not pack in the new Mace Windu figure instead of the old one? The old one won't sit in the fighter so the new one should have been used instead.

With Anakin - why not give us a repack of the same Anakin that came with the Cancell or th B'omarr Monestary Assault BP. Why are they giving us the Spacesuit Anakin w/o the helmet yet again?

I think it comes down to the tooling available at factory where this set was produced.

As far as the exclusive goes - I wouldn't be surprised if this set was originally two separate exclusives that they merged together to make the larger one.

If you think about it - one set could have been Slave I, Boba, Bossk & Aurra Sing, the second set could have been Anakin's Jedi Starfighter, Mace's Jedi Starfighter, Anakin, Mace and the two astromechs - then that way there would have been two Clone Wars UBPs to accompany the two ESB ones at Target.

I think this was always envisioned as a single set to have something for the CW line at a comparable pricepoint to the AT-AT for the non-animated line.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2010, 03:52 PM »
Put me in the "I hope Bossk is single carded at some point" camp because I loves me some Bossk.

I really felt this set was overpriced though, and I feel even moreso now with the bump in price.  It's bigger, but not flashy by any means, and comes with a lot of non-flashy pack-ins.  I was unimpressed. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2010, 04:45 PM »
I am going to chime in on a few aspects mentioned, some in defense of the set. Please take nothing personal, if you spend the time to read my long post treat it like an op-ed.

1. While I do not collect the animated line of figures, the Anakin they chose is a great figure. While he does not have any soft goods he does have articulated knees/ankles so he is 100% SA figure unlike the first static release. I am going to keep this one, even the head sculpt is better than the first release. I would have never used the space gear anyway. Hasbro likely had to cut a few corners to make the financials work, the gear was first to go.

2. The Mace figure can actually sit in the Starfighter without any problems. The tunic skirt is very soft so why would Hasbro cheat themselves out of a sale squeezing one last run out of the older tool. It's smart business and he is cheaper to produce. The soft goods adds expense. (Yes, tool availability is also a factor) Once again, I am sure their margin was tight on this set, so they went with the cheaper figure.

3. While L/S would have really made this something special there is no comparison to this Slave One when compared to the prior ones. Hasbro did a superb job, on this ship. It blows the older versions away. The undercarriage alone sports some of the most impressive sculpt details ever seen on a SW vehicle. Hopefully this follows the trend of the Rancor and the second time around they can afford more paint ops, this will look even better in ESB deco.

4. If you are into the CW line this is a fair value. Bossk, Boba & R8 are all new and done very well. If you are into Starfighters you can add another unique design to your fleet. Break down the cost in retail terms: 5 Figures x$7 each= $35, Mace Starfighter $25, Slave One $40-$50.(worth more than the Y-Wing which was $70). So $100-$110 is a very fair price. No bundle discount but you are not paying more for what's there. It's very expensive to tool a ship this big, Hasbro is in business to make money. They manufacture goods we want to purchase. They do not produce them just to do us a favor. It boggles my mind when people forget that. From my experience tooling on this is most likely around 90k-$100k for the Slave One alone. That does not count other development costs including Boba and Bossk.

5. If you are not into the CW line like me it does suck to have to purchase items you would not otherwise want. However, if that's the only way to get this and the only way to get it produced by Hasbro I am all for it. I rather have the option to buy or pass on the item.

6. If you are entrepreneurial enough you can lower your cost by:
- Selling your old Slave One to liquidate into the new one. I got $15 for my Saga version.
- Sell all the crap you do not want in separate lots which can easily lower the overall cost to you to $30-$40, maybe lower if you are quick while this is not in widespread release. Even if it is you can still get a fair price for the stuff close to if not more to the retail prices I listed above.

I am a big advocate of this. Personally, I only want the best and most updated versions of items in my collection. I am going to liquidate anything I no longer want. Some say it's scalping, I say they are stupid if they think that way. I do not go out of my way to hog anything nor am I shortchanging anyone. I am having the hobby pay for itself while being efficient with my collection. You have to treat this stuff like the stock market, you have to know when to buy and sell watching trends in the market place. Anyone collecting this line for 8+ years should really know this by now. I sold my old OTC MF for $85 loose once I learned of the BMF. I sold my TRU MIB Endor AT-AT for $160 and my loose POTF2 one for $60 once I knew the new one was coming. The two old ones paid for my two new ones. I love this stuff and want to collect every item that interests me but I have a family and they come first. Instead of being mentally (or financially) defeated by a price tag when you DO WANT the item find an honest way to overcome the problem. (BTW - The market decided the prices of the items I sold.)

Is all of what I said easy? No.
Is it extra work? Sure it is.
Is it worth it? YES!

Outside of the one functional flaw I mentioned I really am very happy with this ship. Any minor paint details missing can be easily added, the details are there. I almost get that same happy feeling when I look at the BMF and BAT-AT as I look at this. It's bigger and more accurately detailed, this is going to be sweet in ESB deco. If selling some extra crap that came with this is the only way to get this item I deal with it.

I can honestly say, in my opinion, this is a must have item. If you are on the fence because of price alone consider supporting it. If it flops the ESB Slave One version will be very unlikely for years, even if it's sold separately.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 04:54 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2010, 04:55 PM »

I think this was always envisioned as a single set to have something for the CW line at a comparable pricepoint to the AT-AT for the non-animated line.

Hasbro put out enough hints that I think if the $65 vehicle line had continued, you would have seen this Slave I there.  My guess is that when that $65 line died, they added the Mace Ship and some extra figures to build a $100 Battle Pack to get it out there. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2010, 08:03 PM »
That was my take on it as well. 

I will be passing, despite being a CW fan.  I want Bossk, Boba and the droid, but I want a ESB Slave I more than anything, and I suspect that (and a single carded Bossk) are not too far away in the future.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2010, 03:23 AM »

Hasbro put out enough hints that I think if the $65 vehicle line had continued, you would have seen this Slave I there.  My guess is that when that $65 line died, they added the Mace Ship and some extra figures to build a $100 Battle Pack to get it out there. 

I'll totally add support to this notion, and again it seemed to me like this wasn't ever intended to be the "big reveal" that was being touted around the net.  To me, this is something that was put together to salvage something else, and thus we get it as an exclusive.

Also, on the other topics, I get what you're saying JACK, but consumer "perceived value" is part of the equation too...  You can break things down to their component parts, but at the end of the day, if all anyone wants is Slave-I, then they view it as Slave-I is going to cost me $110.  That's just the nature of perceived value among consumers, and it really applies to anything from looking at a tiny Wicket figure and wanting more for $7.99, all the way to an item like this.  The AT-AT is about the same price, and generally I think it will be more widely accepted as a better value by the majority. 

Still, people at this high price will wait for sales/clearances simply because the track record seems to indicate they'll do that right now.  Anything about $50 or up seems to get that treatment.

To me, breaking it down (and I don't want anything from the set actually but Bossk, ironically, so I'm looking at this 100% objectively really since I'm not even considering buying it), this looks like a set that I'd not want bothered with if all I really was interested in was the Slave-I...  I'd probably wait this one out, but that's me. 

As it stands, I'll wait out for a single-carded Bossk, and if that doesn't happen then I'll keep an eye out for a loose one some day I guess.  I dig Bossk. :)  The set just seems sorta "meh" to me though, for what they want for it is all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77