Author Topic: Luke Skywalker (Hoth Battle Gear)  (Read 26700 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Luke Skywalker (Hoth Battle Gear)
« on: June 5, 2010, 05:49 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Luke Skywalker (Hoth Battle Gear)
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2010, 05:56 PM »
Why the heck did Kenner not give Luke a Lightsaber?  Where the heck did that rifle come from?  AT least give him the right gun!

Modern Hoth Luke sucks...I chose the Tin version with Flesh painted face only because its the best representation of the vintage figure.  I like the Saga Wampa Attack one for what it is and the dioramaesque nature of what it is works

That said...he's not a good all around figure and really needs more accuracy and super articulation!
« Last Edit: June 5, 2010, 08:47 PM by Scott »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2010, 06:04 PM »
Vintage Hoth Luke was weird to me.  He's got a little weird pose to his feet even.  Not many vintage figs had that to them.  I had a little army of Luke's for officers before the modern line came about.  He wasn't one of my fav vintage figures though, not by a longshot.

And it is odd he came with a rifle and not a pistol/saber.  The rifle should've come with the Hoth Soldier...  Go figure.

I thought when the last Hoth Luke figure came out, that Hasbro had made improvements...  But like so many others, he's lacking a bit of articulation and he's a bit tall too, for a Luke figure.  Nice sculpt, but not a lot else.  Pretty much like Hoth Han.

So I'm hopeful Hasbro will whip up a new Hoth Luke, as that's one I've wanted now for a while.  He's really one of the last "Main character" resculpts that needs the most work too.  Like Hoth Leia, I assume it's just a matter of time.

I will say though, if they don't beef up the articulation, I'll be disappointed.  That one without ball-jointed hips is going to sting because you know they're just going to either do him again with the hips, or never make him able to ride teh Taun-Taun.  So if he comes out and lacks the hip joints, I'll be disappointed in it regardless.

I will say though, I'd gladly re-buy this with a wounded headsculpt, and a clean one.  I'd dig the obvious updates too, such as a removable helmet, working holster...  I think a cloth scarf could be a cool addition too.  I added one to a Hoth Soldier and it rocks IMO.

Hoth Luke though, is one of those last remaining resculpts that really needs knocked out of the park I believe.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2010, 10:09 PM »
I like the paintjob of saga version, but I think a similar paintjob could have improved the rendition of the vintage hoth Luke, although a very playable figure for cold adventure when we were children. :)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 5, 2010, 10:55 PM »
Wait a minute...wait a minute...what? I thought these things were going in order of release here, why did we skip the rest of the '80 figures and the entire '81 line-up for an '82 release?

Anyways, I remember getting my Vintage Hoth Luke from the Sears Rebel Command Center pack at Christmas...I loved that thing even though it was just more white sand. I was pretty unimpressed with the figure, I had always just used an extra Hoth Rebel with distinguishing wear marks as Luke.

I really liked the Saga2 version when it first arrived...but now I'd happily take a super-articulated update.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 6, 2010, 10:17 AM »
I agree Muftak. This one's out of order. Technically.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: June 6, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Yeah I'm not going by release order anymore I switched to movie chronology

Offline Darthfloyd

• Youngling
  • Customizing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 6, 2010, 11:31 AM »
This was the only luke I had growing up (I had boussh and endor leia, and bespin, and eventually Endor, Han), so he was one of my favorites.  Then again, my parents pulled the wool over my eyes and told me the B-wing Pilot I had was a Luke Pilot figure, so I had what I thought was a second luke, but this one still was my go-to Luke for all non flying missions.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #8 on: June 6, 2010, 12:12 PM »
The vintage Luke was my first Luke figure as a kid, though I don't think I realized it was a Luke figure at all. I got a box of figures secondhand from an older cousin who grew out of them, and that figure was included. Since there was nothing that really identified it as a "Luke" figure to me, I think it was awhile before I even realized that's who it was.

When the new line came out, my very first figure that I got was the POTF2 Hoth Luke - it was the only Luke I could find, and I snatched it up. I still think that figure looks pretty good.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 6, 2010, 03:37 PM »
This was probably one of the cooler vintage figures I can recall.  And I really liked how this as well as the Hoth Han worked in conjunction with the tauntaun.

As for the modern versions?  The Saga Gold version was cool.  Especially with the ice cave pieces.  But compared with other well articulated figures it's woefully inadequate.  I'd like to see a new version with super articulation and some softgoods.  Ball-jointed hips would be a must so that this figure could sit properly on a new tauntaun.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darthfloyd

• Youngling
  • Customizing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 6, 2010, 04:02 PM »
I'd like to see a new version with super articulation and some softgoods.  Ball-jointed hips would be a must so that this figure could sit properly on a new tauntaun.

I just thought about this - yeah a softgoods scarf/hat thingy would be great, so if you hang him from the wampa ice cave, it can naturally fall instead of having the peg in hole twist down feature.  Also, and I may get flak for this, but I think they could put in a swappable hand for him.  It will still be a gloved hand, reaching (like he does for the saber in the cave), and swappable below the wrist/glove (so that it could still have SA style articulation built into the actual wrist), but it could have that old AOTC magnet feature built in, and he could come with a metal saber hilt.  If anyone deserved to have that "force pull saber" feature, it's Hoth Luke - the first person we ever get to see use that trick.  Plus if they make it an alternate hand, it won't make everyone mad, since they can still have a normal hand on him at all other times. 

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #11 on: June 6, 2010, 10:42 PM »
Hoth Luke was always one of my favorites as a kid, especially in the winter and being able to have him "ride" the tauntaun. I too have been puzzled for years as to why they never included a lightsaber for him considering the Wampa and Tauntaun scenes. But hey, they gave Bespin Luke a yellow lightsaber so I guess the omission of one isn't as bad.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline darthmac

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My Diorama Website
« Reply #12 on: June 6, 2010, 11:04 PM »
Sadly, the vintage figure is quite arguably better than the modern version.  Hasbro - this needs to be corrected SOON!  This was one of my favorite figures I had as a kid. 

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 6, 2010, 11:19 PM »
Better to have no lightsaber than Vader's lightsaber I guess. ;)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #14 on: June 6, 2010, 11:57 PM »
As with vintage Luke Pilot, this version of Luke became a generic rebel officer in my ranks.
This is the way.

I have spoken.