Author Topic: Prince of Persia Toys from MacFarlane Toys  (Read 8253 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Prince of Persia Toys from MacFarlane Toys
« on: June 8, 2010, 12:09 PM »
The Prince of Persia toys have gone on clearance at TRU. So 3.75" figures are $4.98 and the Almut Gate playset is now $13.98.

I picked up the Zolm and Setam figures to display as "bad guys" with my Indy stuff since they are the same scale.

I'm thinking about picking up the Gate playset to have another environment to display my Indy figures with.

I guess TRU's confidence in the line has dropped with the lack-luster performance of the movie.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: Prince of Persia Toys from MacFarlane Toys
« Reply #1 on: June 8, 2010, 12:14 PM »
That's kind of funny since TRU isn't always known to be on the cutting edge of the discounts.  I expected Target to be the first to slash their prices. 

I'd pick up a couple of the bad guy figs for cheap and wouldn't mind the horse set.  I don't know about the gate, though.  But if it was dirt cheap I might.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 8, 2010, 01:57 PM »
I'd pick up a couple of the bad guy figs for cheap and wouldn't mind the horse set.  I don't know about the gate, though.  But if it was dirt cheap I might.

The gate is down to $13.98 now - so I think I'm gonna go back on the way home from work tonight and pick it up. It looks pretty cool for display purposes. I'll probably just use the Dastan figure that comes with it as another "Arabian Thug" that Indy is facing off against.

The Zolm and Setam figures are actualy pretty nice. I opened them up during lunch. Nicely detailed and well articulated.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 8, 2010, 06:34 PM »
If you pick up the Gate, snap some photos of it.  I've looked at it in the box and I've seen some photos of people using it as a backdrop, but I haven't found a really good photo shoot of it and all it's features with figures around it.

I was looking at them tonight in Target again and the 6" figures are on sale this week but the others are regular price.  I agree that the Zolm and Setam figures look nice.  Really good thugs.  Do they have ball joined necks like Indy/SW/Joe or are they pegged?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 8, 2010, 07:14 PM »
I was looking at them tonight in Target again and the 6" figures are on sale this week but the others are regular price.  I agree that the Zolm and Setam figures look nice.  Really good thugs.  Do they have ball joined necks like Indy/SW/Joe or are they pegged?

They are doubly ball jointed if that makes sense. The head has a small ball socket, the next has a small ball socket and then there is a peg that has a ball at each end that plugs into both sockets. This is how Zolm is put together. I'm guessing that Setam is the same way, his head didn't come off when I gave it a tug, so I didn't want to force it and possibly break it.

I'm going to gate the get in a few minutes, not sure I'll be able to take pics tonight, but I will as soon as I can.
Peter

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 8, 2010, 07:40 PM »
I know what you mean on the neck joint, I've seen that before.  I was just wondering if the heads were swapable with Indy...mix them up with the Thug bodies to get even more of a diverse crowd.

E...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: June 8, 2010, 09:28 PM »
Some of the military collecting folks were using the gates for dioramas for modern figures and DAK Germans...  I think it'd work as a backdrop for Indy or other things mid-east.  I could even see it working moderately for a Mos Eisley Streets kind of thing too.

I'd like to get almost all the figures for custom bits...  Again people have been making insurgents out of them, among other things, for the modern military stuff.  I think they look good in Star Wars as well, as the whole mid-east-robes look fits a lot of planets from Coruscant to Tatooine.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 9, 2010, 04:56 PM »
Well, I opened up the playset and the catapult latch was broken.

So I returned it this morning.

I just opened up the second one I got and that one too is broken.

Are they all like this or have I just had bad luck two times in a row?
Peter

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 9, 2010, 08:40 PM »
I read on another forum that they're all like that.  Apparently they were done at the factory because there was some change to the catapult and the way it worked.  So, you don't need to return another one.

E...

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 9, 2010, 10:29 PM »
Just saw the movie. I wish a company that actually did action figures would have gotten this license.  I'm pretty sure even Chap Mei could have made more "playable" figures.  McFarlane makes great statues with limited movable pieces, but an action movie needs action figures.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: June 9, 2010, 10:46 PM »
Paul, from what I've seen they actually are borderline SA...  I don't know if this is a first attempt at better articulated figures, but they had a lot of joints from the ones I was looking at.  I didn't think they looked bad really.

I'd like to nab some but the chances of me making it to TRU to pick them up are slim and none, haha.  They looked pretty decent, working sheaths too I believe.  I have zero interest in the movie but actually wanted the figures.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 11:37 AM »
I read on another forum that they're all like that.  Apparently they were done at the factory because there was some change to the catapult and the way it worked.  So, you don't need to return another one.

Thanks E - that helps.

I might try to remove the spring from the catapult mechanism then and make it just a "flick-to-fire" element. It looks ridiculous continuously extended.

The foot pegs on the surfaces of the gate are, what I guess, is an industry "standard" footpeg size. I tried both an Indy figure and a Star Wars figure and the pegs fit their peg holes perfectly.
Peter

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 02:24 PM »
I bought one figure when they first hit at Target, and think the articulation and details are amazing.  Not going to get them all, as I have no reason to.  I was just curious with the figure quality more than anything.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 2, 2010, 01:23 AM »
Target had the 4" figures and the figure/horse set marked 30% off last night when I stopped.  The Gate set was 50% off, $9 and change, and so were the 8" figures.  They were $4 something I believe.  No clearance price marked on the dagger.

E...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: July 5, 2010, 11:42 PM »
I got a couple cheap PoP figures at TRU today, since I got dejected from the Vintage figure prices.

I grabbed two...  Good fodder figures.  Their poseability is limited for some reason at the hips, seemingly due to just bad design in the sculpting, but still they're really good fodder figures.  They didn't have the one guy with the black head wraps, which I would've liked him. 

Still, I got two  and they're cool for custom fodder someday.  Good Jedi/random guy parts.  The torso of the main Gyllenhaal guy will make a good Pirate due to the armor and no shirt and stuff.  Very Frozec-ish.