Author Topic: Deluxe Series 4 - Death Star  (Read 188081 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Deluxe Series 4 - Death Star
« Reply #285 on: February 15, 2012, 07:28 PM »
Got my box of 12 from HLJ today and.....

No chase.  :'(     

If anyone still needs, I have a set of 6+ probot available for $85 plus shipping.  :)

Bummer.  I just don't trust HLJ.  I'm sure people have found chases from them before, but per the discussion above, you can easily tell where the chase boxes are after opening a few. They refuse to send out a Master Case and seems like their ratio on delivering chases here is the lowest - just seems shady to me.

Lost here, ya telling me HLJ is shady weeding out the boxes after they get the chases...  ???

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
  • Boba Fett?! Boba Fett?! WHERE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 15, 2012, 08:32 PM »
Bummer.  I just don't trust HLJ.  I'm sure people have found chases from them before, but per the discussion above, you can easily tell where the chase boxes are after opening a few. They refuse to send out a Master Case and seems like their ratio on delivering chases here is the lowest - just seems shady to me. 

Ever since they first told you they wouldn't do a sealed MC I was thinking that too. But I thought a few peeps here had said they pulled chases from hlj boxes, so I gave it a shot, esp. since they had the lowest price ($186 shipped, SAL.) My box was packed like the charts above, with the 2 dignitaries next to each other. Anybody else get an HLJ box this time around?

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
  • Boba Fett?! Boba Fett?! WHERE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 15, 2012, 09:13 PM »
Lost here, ya telling me HLJ is shady weeding out the boxes after they get the chases...  ???

(I know you were talking to Justin but I'd like to answer too.  :)) I don't think it would be shady, since they haven't made any claim that they're not doing that. But it would be lame. Selling weeded out sealed boxes is for bottom feeders, not leading retail sites.

Offline space monkey

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 15, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Why would HLJ isolate the box containing the chase from the master case when they only sell sealed boxes? It's all the same to them.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 15, 2012, 09:47 PM »
I agree with you, I have dealt with HLJ for anything they have & Kubricks back in the day before RoBBie was cheaper... Series 1 was a single box but after that it was a sealed MC tho I did get 1 time 4 boxes but in another box which turned out all good in the end as it looked like they transferred the boxes from the MC to another... put a real scare into me but other than that, no problems...  unless they are just opening MC's & stocking shelves/orders, they have no idea what chases are in what box as mentioned the boxes are sealed... it's random for a single box of 12...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 15, 2012, 10:34 PM »
I am not saying HLJ is shady.  I don't have any evidence of that.  But I find it really wierd that they refuse to ship a sealed master case or even guarantee that you will get 4 boxes from one case.  I asked about both options and they refused.  I have been half-ass tracking people's chases on here since the last few waves of regular series Kubes and there just seems to be less coming from HLJ than NCS or other vendors, at least on this site.

Officially yes, they only sell full boxes.  And given the chase layout (Box 1 for the Droid, Box 4 for the Officer), someone could order 4 boxes and easily not get a chase through no intended scamming (boxes 2-4 of the first case and box 1 of the next, etc.).  But we seemed to have cracked the case code, with even # cases getting one chase and odd # cases getting the other. 

Has it always been this way?  If so, it would be easy enough for them to open 8 boxes to see where the chase box is. I'm sure at least a few people that work there are collectors or maybe they open them for photos or whatever.  The point is, once you know the layout, you can separate out the chase boxes and ship out the common ones.  Maybe they keep the chases for themselves.  Maybe they sell them locally on the side.  Maybe they even send some through that they don't need or to show that sometimes you can get a case from HLJ.  Heck, do we know that the guys selling on yahoo-japan or Ebay don't work at HLJ?  What do they do with all the inserts that they refuse to include? 

Like I said, I don't have any proof that they're doing any of this.  Just a funny feeling about what I've seen from them over the years and the opportunity is obviously there given their odd policies.  I was tempted to order from them given the price, but I will gladly go with NCS and pay a premium to ensure there is no funny business going on. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Johnnyl

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 18, 2012, 02:35 PM »
Thanks JediJman

Got my DX 4 Today

Well packed away to keep them safe, Well pleased  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Again  ;D

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 19, 2012, 10:47 AM »
Picked up my dx4 kubs from Justin yesterday, and I am absolutely loving Vader! I consider this the best vader in my star wars collection, period. I love the vintage look,  it is simple, clean, and looks like a 1977 kubrick. The cape seems to be a slightly thinner version of Ben's material, and feels just right.
The others are all pretty good- Leia's great, the TIE pilot is a nice vintage nod too. The dignitary is great alongside some Royal guards. R2 is a slight improvement over the early bird version, but needed an extra prop to be worth a slot (how about a holo leia or screen with the death star plans?). Antilles needs a partial lobotomy to fit in to his hair/helmet correctly, but I like him leading the blue shirts into futile battle.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 06:11 PM by Dan »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 19, 2012, 04:43 PM »
Glad you like 'em guys!  I still have a few leftovers if anyone wants extras:

Antilles: $12
Vader: $12
Probe Droid: $25

From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 19, 2012, 04:55 PM »
You still have the spare set of 6, right, Justin? I might have to bite...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 19, 2012, 09:45 PM »

I have a spare Dignitary I'm holding for you, but ended up breaking up that last set.  All I have left of it is Vader, Antiles, and the Probe Droid.  Kinda funny - I thought I would be stuck with 1-2 extra R2s and they were the first the get scooped up. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #296 on: February 19, 2012, 10:55 PM »
Ok...  what the heck is up with the BAF Probe Droid?

I'll grant you that it is fantastic... but it can't possibly be the right scale for this line.  I mean, after seeing this thing all assembled and in my hands, I think I'll be selling my Hasbro 3.75" version and just using this one with my Hasbro Hoth shelf since it looks ridiculous on my Kubrick Hoth shelf.  It practically dwarfs the AT-ST.

It's awesome.... but a little disappointing that it's not really a Kubrick scale version.   Or is my sense of scale off so far thanks to the past Hasbro versions?  Should it be so ginourmous compared to the Kubies?  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 19, 2012, 11:13 PM »
It's listed as being 1.6 meters tall versus a 2.2 meter Wookie - defintiely a bit over scaled in the Kubrick version.  The AT-ST isn't the best comparison though, seeing as how it only fits one figure and is much too short.  I definitely like the Viper, but it was a poor choice for this wave.  Too big and just not a good fit with the rest of the Death Star figures.  They should have just made it smaller and one of the regular figures.  I liked Jeff's Dianoga idea or how about a little trash compactor room?  If they do a Bespin wave I sure hope they go back to something like the Cloud Car.  I'd even go for a cool Carbon Freezing Chamber.

Offline space monkey

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 20, 2012, 12:13 AM »

I have a spare Dignitary I'm holding for you, but ended up breaking up that last set.  All I have left of it is Vader, Antiles, and the Probe Droid.  Kinda funny - I thought I would be stuck with 1-2 extra R2s and they were the first the get scooped up.

Whoops, I told you should of waited  ;)

As for the probe droid my guess is Medicom had to make it as big as it is because something needs to fill those enormous boxes  ;D

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 3, 2012, 10:37 AM »
I'm weak.  Picked up the chase R2 on yahoo japan this morning.    :-[