Author Topic: Deluxe Series 4 - Death Star  (Read 188098 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Deluxe Series 4 - Death Star
« Reply #210 on: January 30, 2012, 01:17 PM »
Wow! $700. for a complete set with background. Sellers are bumping the prices up with more selling, normal for them but... ouch!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 30, 2012, 01:47 PM »
I just canceled my pre-order with NCSX for a box of 12.  I just don't think the chance to get a chase is worth the cost of buying two sets.  I'm just going to pick up a set of 6 plus the Build a Fig and be done with the wave.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 30, 2012, 02:34 PM »
Good move Brent-

As poor as the chases seem to be, I am still pretty jazzed by the basic 6. And I agree with the comment made earlier that if Antilles had been a chase, we would all be dropping $300 to get him. The TIE pilot is such a good throwback to the vintage figure. Leia is a big improvement over the toilet paper dress version from the early bird set. Vader looks supremely retro and will be great with the dx3 Ben. And antilles is a great addition, sort of the Garindan of this wave. The Dignitary is pretty cool too, and again, I'm glad he didn't end up being the chase- he would have gone for insane prices as well.

Getting every figure I want from a kubrick wave for less than $100 is actually looking pretty good!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2012, 03:08 PM »
Getting every figure I want from a kubrick wave for less than $100 is actually looking pretty good!

That's actually a really great way to look at this.  Witht he exception of R2, the other 5 figures are really solid, and all would have likely commanded a nice price as chases.  Better that they give us the best of the line as regular offerings and save the mediocre figures as harder to get I think.  I do wish there was more of the Imp available though - sorry to see the prices he is already going for.   :P
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
  • Boba Fett?! Boba Fett?! WHERE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 30, 2012, 06:54 PM »
I considered cancelling my box of 12 as well, but then decided to keep it. Figured I'd give fate a chance to hook me up with Maximillian Veers for free, cuz I ain't buying him. If I don't get a chase hopefully I can sell the other set of 6 and break even. 

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2012, 07:34 PM »
Good thing I'm on my meds or all this talk of this being a commander or Max. Veers or Grand Molson Tarkin would send me right over the f'ing cliff. Next thing we'll be calling the Imperial R2 unit, "Shadow R2", "Bizarro R2" or some ****.  ::)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 30, 2012, 07:55 PM »
Good thing I'm on my meds or all this talk of this being a commander or Max. Veers or Grand Molson Tarkin would send me right over the f'ing cliff. Next thing we'll be calling the Imperial R2 unit, "Shadow R2", "Bizarro R2" or some ****.  ::)

Lackey R2...  :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 30, 2012, 09:25 PM »

As poor as the chases seem to be, I am still pretty jazzed by the basic 6. And I agree with the comment made earlier that if Antilles had been a chase, we would all be dropping $300 to get him. The TIE pilot is such a good throwback to the vintage figure. Leia is a big improvement over the toilet paper dress version from the early bird set. Vader looks supremely retro and will be great with the dx3 Ben. And antilles is a great addition, sort of the Garindan of this wave. The Dignitary is pretty cool too, and again, I'm glad he didn't end up being the chase- he would have gone for insane prices as well.

Maybe it's my nature, but I just have to disagree.  I'm glad you guys are fired up and looking at this stuff as positive.  To me however I'm seeing Hasbro deja vu all over again. 

Leia is better, but I think the early bird set is fine and while yeah, an improvement is welcome, it's not really necessary. 

Another Vader?  Really?  Cuz we were all hoping for it?  I'm sort of ok with it if it's a more vintage-y version but I still don't find it necessary.

Another Tie Pilot?  ****, I still have five from the previous release I never moved.  We complain about $10-11 Hasbro figures for rehashes but because it's from Japan $14 is ok?  Not for me. 

R2?  Yawn should cover it because we only have how many of him/it? 

I'm good with Antilles (though not a figure I could personally care about owning) and the Dignitary though but I can wait for a $60 set some time down the road.  The chases?  They suck.  'Nuff said. 

Crustily yours...
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 30, 2012, 11:06 PM »

Maybe it's my nature, but I just have to disagree.  I'm glad you guys are fired up and looking at this stuff as positive.  To me however I'm seeing Hasbro deja vu all over again. 

Leia is better, but I think the early bird set is fine and while yeah, an improvement is welcome, it's not really necessary. 

Another Vader?  Really?  Cuz we were all hoping for it?  I'm sort of ok with it if it's a more vintage-y version but I still don't find it necessary.

Another Tie Pilot?  ****, I still have five from the previous release I never moved.  We complain about $10-11 Hasbro figures for rehashes but because it's from Japan $14 is ok?  Not for me. 

R2?  Yawn should cover it because we only have how many of him/it? 

I'm good with Antilles (though not a figure I could personally care about owning) and the Dignitary though but I can wait for a $60 set some time down the road.  The chases?  They suck.  'Nuff said. 

Crustily yours...

Some good points, but I still say the pemican and AT-ST driver are making you focus on the bitter tastes.

My first reaction to the vinyl/vintage re-does was an eye roll. But Ben is great, and I look forward to a vader to match. Honestly, the line can't survive on characters only seen for .7 seconds or that made it on to a CCG card. At least they have found a way to bring the main characters back in to the fold with some creativity (retro), rather than repacks (R2 has no business here though), unless he came with a holo leia, or something else unique (at least DX2 gave him a prop shot glass set).

What we want is often based on what we already have, but the series would dry up if they only let themselves try to make something that hasn't been made before. And we would (and) have cried foul at repacks, as many of us shelled out big bucks for things like han/luke stormie, etc.

I may not buy them all anymore, but I still find this line far more interesting than Hasbro's generally regurgitated and vomited offerings (CW being the exception for me).

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
  • Boba Fett?! Boba Fett?! WHERE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2012, 12:04 AM »

My first reaction to the vinyl/vintage re-does was an eye roll. But Ben is great, and I look forward to a vader to match. Honestly, the line can't survive on characters only seen for .7 seconds or that made it on to a CCG card. At least they have found a way to bring the main characters back in to the fold with some creativity (retro), rather than repacks (R2 has no business here though)

I agree. The early bird set is awesome, they're like the "vintage" kubricks now. These new vintage reboots aren't meant to improve upon the old ones (like Hasbro replacing their shoddy sculpts with less shoddy sculpts), they're just a different style. They are a cash grab, but they're probably necessary to keep the line going, and luckily, in my opinion, they look great.

Morgbug, I agree that the TIE Pilot, R2 etc are in no way cool or necessary. And that Medicom has removed the fun from being a completist and made it more of a costly chore. Still hope you stick around and rekindle your cranky love for kubricks. I always enjoyed your posts from reading back to old threads from the glory days, when you bastards were cracking open $200 master cases like there was no tomorrow. Wish I had been collecting at that time!

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 31, 2012, 02:00 AM »

;D
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 31, 2012, 08:43 AM »
Instinctoy finally got the other chase in their cases.  They are now referring to the R2-Q5 as a 1/96 figure.  Hopefully this one doesn't end up at 20,000 yen like the other chase did...

http://page17.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v224547174
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #222 on: January 31, 2012, 09:55 AM »
when you bastards were cracking open $200 master cases like there was no tomorrow.

Man, do I miss Robby.jp.   :'(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 31, 2012, 12:16 PM »
Showed up on the bay...     Medicom Star Wars Kubrick DX Series 4 - SECRET CHASE R2-Q5 (2-legged)    ouch! 

when you bastards were cracking open $200 master cases like there was no tomorrow.

Man, do I miss Robby.jp.   :'(

*sniff*   :'(

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 31, 2012, 03:26 PM »
Well that bugger sold for $245. I expect the next one will be higher now...