Author Topic: NBA 2010-2011  (Read 53332 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
NBA 2010-2011
« on: June 23, 2010, 04:32 PM »
NBA Draft Tomorrow Night...you can also talk about the 2009-2010 NBA season here since there wasn't a thread.

I'm prepping for the Scott E Roth Cup For Excellence in Mock NBA Drafting

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2010-2011
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 07:43 PM »
So ... where does everyone think LeBron is going to end up?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 02:08 PM »
So...the draft.  Nothing too excited really, at least to me.  Lots of trades of rights to guys that probably won't be anything too huge.  With all the draft build up, just looking at the picks in the first rounds from the past years - and really, only a handful from each year (maybe only 2-3) really amount to true "stars" in the NBA.  The rest either fizzle out quickly, or in some cases become nice role players.  From last night, there's a few that might do well in the NBA - but overall it seemed like sort of a boring class to me.

The draft night really was all about LeBron it seems.  The Heat and Bulls both made trades to get huge under the cap, with enough room to sign two big names this offseason.  As far as the James sweepstakes goes, it sounds like a number of people are thinking Chicago.  I think Cleveland is still a possibility, but I wouldn't feel real confident if I was them either.  A Miami team-up with D. Wade could happen too, and would be very interesting to see since they could sign another max FA (like Bosh or Stoudemire) as well.  Crazy.  I do get the feeling that LBJ is going to draw this whole thing out and be wined and dined by all the different suitors, and stay in the headlines all summer long.  It seems like he really wants to enjoy all of this.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 02:49 PM »
The draft night really was all about LeBron it seems.  The Heat and Bulls both made trades to get huge under the cap, with enough room to sign two big names this offseason.  As far as the James sweepstakes goes, it sounds like a number of people are thinking Chicago. 

That's what was exciting about the whole draft to me... It looks like Bosh and James are going the same place, the question is where will that be.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 09:23 PM »
The draft night really was all about LeBron it seems.  The Heat and Bulls both made trades to get huge under the cap, with enough room to sign two big names this offseason.  As far as the James sweepstakes goes, it sounds like a number of people are thinking Chicago. 

That's what was exciting about the whole draft to me... It looks like Bosh and James are going the same place, the question is where will that be.

Miami.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 01:40 AM »
Chicago please.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 08:06 AM »
No, Miami would be just fine.  South Beach ... get to play with D-Wade ... no state income tax ... Pat Riley running the team.
It's a perfect set-up for multiple championships.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 08:25 AM »

Madison Square Garden.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 05:02 PM »
He's sure as hell not coming to Utah, because he's not a skinny white guy.

"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 08:21 PM »

Madison Square Garden.

Well, sure ... if he doesn't care about winning titles.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 10:09 AM »

Madison Square Garden.

Well, sure ... if he doesn't care about winning titles.

I disagree.  If King James and Bosh or King James and Wade sign with the Knicks, I predict title in 3 years.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 10:16 AM »
I disagree.  If King James and Bosh or King James and Wade sign with the Knicks, I predict title in 3 years.

It's all academic. 
Report: LeBron to Chicago 'a Done Deal'
   ;)

LeBron James has decided against going on a free agency tour of the five cities that have made his short list of places (along with Cleveland) where he'd like to play next season, and will instead hold those meetings at home. The reason for this change of plans could be due to the backlash from fans and media alike over the idea, or it could be that James simply would like to hold court in his own castle, and be treated like the NBA royalty that he has become.

Or, it could be something else entirely. Like the possibility that James may have already made his decision.

Jonathan Abrams of The New York Times is reporting that these meetings, which will begin on July 1, may be nothing more than a formality, since he has spoken to one anonymous NBA executive who believes that LeBron is heading to Chicago, along with another of the prized free agents of this summer, Toronto's Chris Bosh.

"I think it's a done deal," the executive told Abrams.

Share  In other free agent news, the Knicks, who have gutted their roster in recent years in hopes of luring LeBron to NYC, aren't putting all of their eggs in King James' basket.

League sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard that the Knicks' first meeting at midnight Eastern on July 1st won't be with James, and won't even be in New York: it will be with Atlanta's Joe Johnson, and it will take place in Los Angeles, where Johnson is planning to hold all of his meetings.

The Knicks are also hoping to meet with Amar'e Stoudemire while in Los Angeles, before heading to Ohio on Thursday to meet with James at 1 p.m. ET. New York is obviously hoping to land LeBron, but reuniting Joe Johnson and Stoudemire with their former coach from their days in Phoenix, Mike D'Antoni, might be more than enough to console Knicks fans clamoring for the league's biggest star to play in their city.

What's interesting is that neither of these recent reports mentions the player who is right behind LeBron at the top of the 2010 free agent class, and that of course is Miami's Dwyane Wade. As much as James will be the lead domino in determining where exactly the rest of the superstar free agents end up, Wade's decision will have almost as much of an impact.

Just think: Of all the scenarios that have been talked about, the one that's rarely mentioned is the prospect of Wade and James teaming up to go somewhere together. And for the rest of the league, that one may be the most frightening of them all.

UPDATE: Chris Bosh's agent, Henry Thomas, has denied the report, according to NBA.com's Art Garcia. "Completely untrue," Bosh's agent Henry Thomas told NBA.com via e-mail. "He hasn't decided anything."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 11:53 AM »
Lebron will stay in Cleveland. 

Why would he want to live in the shadow of MJ?  In Cleveland, there's no pressure but to get just ONE ring. 

In Chicago, he'd have to win six to not be considered a failure.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 11:56 AM »
Lebron will stay in Cleveland. 

Why would he want to live in the shadow of MJ?  In Cleveland, there's no pressure but to get just ONE ring. 

In Chicago, he'd have to win six to not be considered a failure.

Nonsense.

Additionally, if you gave someone a chance to live and work in Cleveland, or Chicago... I think most people would consider it an easy decision.

Lebron is as good as gone.  I think that the only question is whether he likes NYC, Chicago, or Miami best.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 12:56 PM »
Please.

You're biased because you live there now.  He has deep ties to Cleveland - he's played ball there his whole life and its home to him. 

He wants to bring Cleveland their first NBA championship; plain and simple.