Author Topic: NBA 2010-2011  (Read 53334 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: NBA 2010-2011
« Reply #75 on: July 8, 2010, 09:59 PM »
Yeah Darko was their big signing...the Wolves have talked about this offseason for 2 years and they signed a washed up European center ::)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 8, 2010, 10:09 PM »
I just realized a very bright point for me out of all this LeBron stuff:

The Florida Panthers will move to Winnipeg at the end of the season/in time for 2011-12 because they need to clear some professional athlete ego space out of South Florida.  Woot!

Yeah Darko was their big signing...the Wolves have talked about this offseason for 2 years and they signed a washed up European center ::)

Well I'm pretty pleased the Wolves continue to stink.  We had a blast at the Wolves/Suns game on Sydney's spring break with those $800 front row seats for $200.  I'd say it's a pretty safe bet we'll get the same or a better deal in spring of 2011.  ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 8, 2010, 10:18 PM »

Not sure why the Knicks are letting Lee walk as well...he's still young and averaging 20/10 a game.  He visited the Wolves last week but with Love and Jefferson I don't see him signing here.  

Knicks fan here..

I saw they're actually unloading David Lee to GS for Azubuike, Anthony Randolph and Turiaf.

I like it!  Especially the Randolph part.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 8, 2010, 10:19 PM »
I'm losing my mind right now!

;D

Yeah, I'm a fan of the team and their outlook is certainly brighter now, but I'm not one of these fans who blindly states that they are now guaranteed to win a title.  I think they have an excellent chance, but there is still a TON of work to be done with the roster.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 8, 2010, 10:21 PM »
I saw they're actually unloading David Lee to GS for Azubuike, Anthony Randolph and Turiaf.

I like it!  Especially the Randolph part.

Yeah, that kid is a stud.  He just needs a chance to play which he wasn't really getting under Nellie.  That's a nice pick-up.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 9, 2010, 08:40 AM »
Does anybody know if Lebron James has announced what team he's going to sign with? I wasn't sure if they'll mention it anywhere.

Thought the Cavs' owner's comments were pretty unprofessional, but pretty hilarious to hear him say what he thinks.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 9, 2010, 08:41 AM »
Sounds like Michael Beasley is being shipped to Minnesota, to help clear more space for the Heat.  They're going to have to get someone to play with these guys though :).

You know, at first I sort of felt for Cleveland in all of this - but after what I have seen/read since his decision, I don't know that I do.  I know it is just the extreme cases, but they keep showing them burning his jerseys, etc. and now the statement released from Gilbert (owner) was just low class.  A few quotes:

"He's gotten a free pass.  People have covered up for him for too long.  Tonight people saw who he really is."

On the matchup with Boston: "He quit.  Not just in game 5, but in games 2, 4 and 6.  Watch the tape."

"LeBron has to go to a team with two other superstars already so he can win a championship.  We will win a championship before the Heat do."

And the one I found funny: "I personally guarantee that the Cleveland Cavaliers will win the NBA championship before the self-titled former 'King' does."

Now, I understand that the guy has to try to unite a depressed fanbase somewhat, but come on.  They've done nothing but sing the guy's praises and beg him to stay for the past months, years, etc. And now?  Plus, I would be shocked if the Cavs win anything, let alone before the Heat do.  Not that they are guaranteed a championship by any means, but I'd take them before Cleveland in any bet.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #82 on: July 9, 2010, 09:09 AM »
It is too bad that he wasn't honest enough with the ownership group to say that he wasn't coming back to Cleveland and they could have at least traded him last year...which was the biggest fear that everyone here had right before KG signed his record breaking deal in 1999 and then again when extended in 2003.  There was a real possibility he was going to bolt (most people said to Chicago) but he didn't and they traded him at the right time.  Unfortunately, not for the right players :-X

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #83 on: July 9, 2010, 09:52 AM »
Sounds like Michael Beasley is being shipped to Minnesota, to help clear more space for the Heat

Beasley for a second round pick in '11?  Nice to have that fall into our laps... and I guess that means that Jefferson's days are really numbered now.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 9, 2010, 09:59 AM »
Ryan posted this on facebook and I think it's a good read - here's an excerpt:

But give King Fame this: On the night the NBA's No. 1 free agent proposed to Miami and dumped northeastern Ohio, at least the showman was smart enough to know that if he ever wanted to hoist a championship trophy, he needed a genuine leader such as Dwyane Wade to get him there.

Oh, and he can't be Magic now. Or Bird. Or Michael. Or Isiah Thomas, Tim Duncan or Bill Russell or any other NBA supernova who stuck around long enough to win championships for a town and its people.

LeBron can be Shaquille O'Neal, who left Orlando amid hard feelings to become a basketball mercenary in many more glorious pastures. He can be Kevin Garnett, who had to leave Minnesota to win it all.

As a legacy guy, he needs to know: His decision to spurn the Cavaliers for more talent and hope in Miami forbids LeBron from ever being one of those all-time greats who persevered through coaching changes, roster changes and wrenching playoff losses to lift a trophy to the rafters for the team who drafted him.

He didn't quit on Cleveland with his made-for-ESPN finale. But he did give up on the belief that the Cavaliers could surround him with the pieces he needed to stay on a championship path.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/08/AR2010070806864.html

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 9, 2010, 10:28 AM »

The biggest surprise to me is Cleveland?  Doncha think you should have maybe gone after some of these other free agents as well?  ....  Cleveland seems to be going with the family/loyalty/heart strings approach and not much else.  The Cavs lost in the semis to a bunch of old men (mostly) and clearly Clevaland needs another body or two and if you want to have a hope of competing with a Miami with Bosh/Wade shouldn't you have gone after someone too?  It looks like Cleveland either wins with LeBron staying, a moral victory but no closer to a title, so why the lack of effort with others?  I mean if LeBron leaves you're going to have a lot of cap room to sign exactly who?

I'm sticking with those feelings now.  Exactly what will Cleveland do now that LeBron is gone.  They should have been chasing someone to complement him or at the very least be a stop gap now that he's gone.  It's just weird. 

Checking the free agent list there ain't all that much out there for the Cavs to go get.  How are you going to win before the Heat with what's available out there now? 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 9, 2010, 10:35 AM »
Ryan posted this on facebook and I think it's a good read - here's an excerpt:

But give King Fame this: On the night the NBA's No. 1 free agent proposed to Miami and dumped northeastern Ohio, at least the showman was smart enough to know that if he ever wanted to hoist a championship trophy, he needed a genuine leader such as Dwyane Wade to get him there.

Oh, and he can't be Magic now. Or Bird. Or Michael. Or Isiah Thomas, Tim Duncan or Bill Russell or any other NBA supernova who stuck around long enough to win championships for a town and its people.

LeBron can be Shaquille O'Neal, who left Orlando amid hard feelings to become a basketball mercenary in many more glorious pastures. He can be Kevin Garnett, who had to leave Minnesota to win it all.

As a legacy guy, he needs to know: His decision to spurn the Cavaliers for more talent and hope in Miami forbids LeBron from ever being one of those all-time greats who persevered through coaching changes, roster changes and wrenching playoff losses to lift a trophy to the rafters for the team who drafted him.

He didn't quit on Cleveland with his made-for-ESPN finale. But he did give up on the belief that the Cavaliers could surround him with the pieces he needed to stay on a championship path.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/08/AR2010070806864.html

Great read.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 9, 2010, 10:39 AM »
How are you going to win before the Heat with what's available out there now? 

Um yeah what the Cavs owner said was kneejerk, emotional, and stupid.  There's a 0% chance of the Cavs winning a championship next year, and if he thinks he can assemble a squad that can hold a candle to James and Wade, he can forget that.  I do not blame him for being really really upset. 

Now, as a Knicks fan, or if you're a fan of Chicago, we can't be happy either.  We did all get a little something though.  NY got Amare, Anthony Randolph and Azubuike.  Chicago got Boozer.  And by God, if none of us ever hear about one of Neal's erections ever again, we'll all go down as winners this offseason.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 9, 2010, 10:41 AM »

The biggest surprise to me is Cleveland?  Doncha think you should have maybe gone after some of these other free agents as well?  ....  Cleveland seems to be going with the family/loyalty/heart strings approach and not much else.  The Cavs lost in the semis to a bunch of old men (mostly) and clearly Clevaland needs another body or two and if you want to have a hope of competing with a Miami with Bosh/Wade shouldn't you have gone after someone too?  It looks like Cleveland either wins with LeBron staying, a moral victory but no closer to a title, so why the lack of effort with others?  I mean if LeBron leaves you're going to have a lot of cap room to sign exactly who?

I'm sticking with those feelings now.  Exactly what will Cleveland do now that LeBron is gone.  They should have been chasing someone to complement him or at the very least be a stop gap now that he's gone.  It's just weird. 

Checking the free agent list there ain't all that much out there for the Cavs to go get.  How are you going to win before the Heat with what's available out there now? 

And, after the tirade the owner spewed out last night, what player is really going to want to come to Cleveland and play for him.
I completely feel for the Cleveland fans and the organization, but that was totally unprofessional.  

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 9, 2010, 10:42 AM »
Just a side note, anyone notice the chipmunk-like appearance of James' cheeks last night?  I think there's a chance he might be doing a cycle of steroids this offseason.

Looking at his physique, this should shock nobody.