Author Topic: NHL Off-Season 2010  (Read 7851 times)

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
NHL Off-Season 2010
« on: June 23, 2010, 08:49 PM »
The Chicago Blackhawks started to dismantle their Stanley Cup winning team today by trading Byfuglien, Eager and Sopel to the Atlanta Thrashers.  Still the possibility of trading Sharp and Versteeg as well.  That sucks, I really liked Byfuglien.  Hopefully they can pick up some good kids with the two draft picks they received as part of the deal.

Blackhawks Trade Byfuglien
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: NHL Off-Season 2010
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 09:05 PM »
I knew Eager and Sopel were on the block, but boy, Byfuglien really is a surprise.  They must have someone they have their eye on for the draft picks. 

The Sharp rumours go back a ways too, into early in the previous season so no shock there and I think I heard mention of Versteeg going during the playoffs (not being traded then obviously). 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 09:27 PM »
The Pens locked Lovejoy and Cooke up to 3 year deals, so Gonchar's pretty well on his way out they claim, unless he suddenly is ok with a 1 year deal.  There's rumor of trading his rights away so you at least get something out of him.

Penguins are supposedly eyeing some big D-men too, and wingers (again).  I'd rather see them try playing Staal as a winger early in the season though.  He's become a really great player and he's centering our 3rd line, so I wouldn't mind seeing him move up if he's able to play wing.  They say it's a possibility anyway.

I'm sort of surprised how many they're unloading in Chicago...  That's some abrupt clearing out there.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 10:26 PM »
I'm sort of surprised how many they're unloading in Chicago...  That's some abrupt clearing out there.

Salary cap issues with Toews, Kane and Keith.  Pretty much says it all. 

Does Gonchar have more than a year left in him?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 01:38 AM »
I think, for a team that doesn't necessarilly need him to be a solid blue-liner in both capacities...  He's a good PP quarterback, and that's a hot commodity among so many teams that are just that one piece away from having that scoring blue-liner they need. 

He's practically a road cone with his defensive abilities though, which were glaringly obvious in the playoffs this year.  He's got good defensive ability but his age has quickly caught up with him and thus the Pens don't want to sign him long-term.  For a team with a solid young d-core though, he could be a good leader for that.

They're going to hand the reigns here over to LeTang and Goligoski, who I hope both have consistant seasons in 2010/2011.  I'm a big Lovejoy fan, and him coming up is a good thing I think.  The Penguins are definitely in the market for a big strong d-man though I think, and scoring wingers (who isn't?) this year.  It was their biggest problem(s).  I knew the defense would bite them in the ass in the playoffs and it certainly did.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 02:38 PM »
The Stars had a Press Conference today and announced that they were moving forward without Mike Modano, which I guess is better than moving backwards without him.

I am not sure how I feel about it.  If he retires I will be happy or moves to the front office.  If he goes to another team and the Stars miss the playoffs again anyway, I will probably be mad at management...if he goes to another team and the Stars win the Cup, I will forgive them and be sad that Modano missed it. 

I am happy for him to get out before he became the property of one of Tom Hicks' creditors in the bankruptcy sale.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 03:00 PM »
I bet my hockey team tries to woo Modano here for PR reasons... they'd sell a LOT of #9s for sure.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 04:12 PM »
The Timberwolves Wild is the only team I'd like to see him go to.  I think I'm supposed to hate him because he's American but I've always cheered for Modano because of the way he plays the game.  I think it'd be awesome to see him back in Minnesota.  I still have to unpack that McFarlane retro Modano figure. 

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 05:05 PM »
Modano had his press conference today.  He is open to the idea of playing elsewhere.

I would not be surprised to see him in Minnesota from what the local radio guys are saying.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 1, 2010, 10:25 AM »
Still the possibility of trading Sharp and Versteeg as well.

Well, Versteeg is now gone as well from the Blackhawks.  He and another player were traded to the Maple Leafs for three young players...  The Hawks are definitely getting younger, but they are also losing same talented, experienced players...

So who's going to be next?!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: July 1, 2010, 10:59 AM »
I think the Hawks should be fine cap wise after moving Versteeg, but it wouldnt suprise me if they end up dumping Sharp before it's all over.  It's sort of a shame to see them break up that team, but management knew what they were doing when they went money-mad last season and went over the cap. 

They're paying for it this year....  but let's be honest - it's probably easier for them to "pay for it" with the Cup in hand.  Imagine if they didn't win the Cup AND still had to blow up the team for cap reasons this year.  Lucky for them they gambled and won.  :P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: July 1, 2010, 03:44 PM »
Does Gonchar have more than a year left in him?

I guess the Sens think so...  :-X

The Penguins are definitely in the market for a big strong d-man though I think

I don't know if Paul Martin is the "big strong d-man" you were looking for, but he's a nice prize and knowing that you stole him from NJ must make it even nicer.

And did I read correctly that Derek Boogaard is heading to NYR for $1.65m a year for 4 years??  Man, they must want a goon pretty badly.  :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: July 1, 2010, 07:08 PM »
Martin's being looked at, at least here, as a big replacement for Gonchar in every way.  I'm ecstatic.  They picked up Mulcolic (I'm butchering the spelling I'm sure) from Phoenix...  146 blocked shots last year, 6'2" I think, and 210#...  That's what I think they were wanting, and everyone says he's a much better fit than Hamhuis was, who was reportedly crying about wanting to play on the West Coast and how he didn't want to move so far away or something.  I dunno.  To each their own.  I was still disappointed he didn't sign, but he'd have been costly.

The cost on Martin and Mulcolic for their worth looks like a steal I think, especially in a couple years if their performance holds.

I'm pretty stoked.  Plus they're bringing up young guys from Wilkes-Barre this year I'm wanting to watch play, like I believe Lovejoy and Tangreddi are both going to wind up starting.

Losing Eaton likely though, and that sucks.  Gonchar's a good PP pointman, so I'm sure that's why the Sens wanted him.  It sure as **** wasn't his playing in the playoffs that won him the new deal he wanted.  Plus he got a no-trade or something, which will sting if he winds up truly being out of gas.

I like him though, so I'm sad he's gone, he just looked like a road cone last post-season.

They're saying Guerrin may sign for 1 year, 1 mill, and play this as his last year.  I dunno.  I like him, and having that vet persence is good.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: July 1, 2010, 11:29 PM »
I've said it before but I'll say it again...I used to babysit Paul Martin

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 1, 2010, 11:44 PM »
I've said it before but I'll say it again...I used to babysit Paul Martin

Didn't we see him at the bar before the Pearl Jam show in 2006?