Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 57806 times)

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of the Rings
« Reply #15 on: July 1, 2003, 09:07 PM »
But ROTJ won't be the end of this saga...

You may be thinking of another saga... ;)

I've been a LOTR fan since the FOTR movie was released. Since then, I've read all three LOTR books and the Hobbit and have become an avid fan of Tolkien's works.

I'm impatiently awaiting the release of ROTK. After reading the ROTK book, I can see this is gonna be one hell of a movie. Personally, I just can't wait to see Pippin in his Gondorian getup. :P

Bring on the Two Towers DVD and the ROTK videogame! They'll have to tide me over... ;D
« Last Edit: July 1, 2003, 09:08 PM by BobaShek »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: July 2, 2003, 03:20 AM »
But ROTJ won't be the end of this saga...

You may be thinking of another saga... ;)

D'oh!  Nice catch Michael...  Yeah, my brain was thinking Return of the King, but my fingers were tying the all too familiar ROTJ instead.  Oh well, only off by one letter, I suppose!  But yeah, ROTJ wasn't the end of the Saga either, now was it?!   ;)

It's going to be hard watching the final LOTR flick, knowing this will be the end of most of these characters for us on the big screen.  Oh well, we'll just have to enjoy it while it lasts.  Looking forward to another marathon epic by Mr. Jackson to tie it all up!   8)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 2, 2003, 07:07 AM »
Patiently waiting.  I never read the books before seeing FOTR and to tell you the truth, I wasn't that excited when FOTR came out.  It looked good and everything, but I didn't understand the hype.  When I walked out of the theater after seeing it for the first time, I was blown away. And the wife loved it too, and she hates sci fi / fantasy flicks. (except Star Wars  ;))

Since then, I've read the book and own both versions of FOTR.  I plan on doing the same when TTT is released.  I'm sure my anticipation of ROTK will increase when the sneak preview of it is shown on the DVD of TTT (similar to the TTT preview on FOTR)

I am sure its going to be amazing and I'll be the first day to see.  I just hope PJ doesn't pull any punches and shows a truely epic battle.  I know its a little gruesome, but I want to see [possible spoiler]
heads of fallen men flying over the walls during the Battle of Gondor[end spoiler]

Common sense isn't so common

Offline jediguy

• Youngling
  • Sith Happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 3, 2003, 12:48 AM »
   Am I ever anticipating this!  I remember when I read the LoTR trilogy in 3rd grade, it took me the whole year to read the trilogy and The Hobbit . . . and that's with thirty minutes of SSR (Sustained Silent Reading) each day, and I even read more on weekends!  Whenever I didn't understand a word, I'd look it up in my dictionary.  ;D
   Anyway, I always thought that Lord of the Rings would translate well to film but it had to be done just right.  Well I think it was done better than any of my expectations for it.  I really have grown into the cast with all of the behind the scenes info and most of them are so cool that if you write to them they'll send you an autograph or maybe even a letter!  (I have all of the mains except for Ian McKellen and Christopher Lee)  
   So yes, I am looking forwards to this a lot.

I am sure its going to be amazing and I'll be the first day to see.  I just hope PJ doesn't pull any punches and shows a truely epic battle.  I know its a little gruesome, but I want . .  

I totally agree.  The "Battle"  will be so cool and I really don't think he'll pull anything from it or else we would have seen some of that in Helm's Deep.  (KEYWORD: SOME)  I do know that my friend thought that The Two Towers was too intense and gory and walked out of it.  (Sad thing: this was when the Wargs attacked- didn't even see HD.  Not the same friend who just walked out of TTT because they thought it was bad)
« Last Edit: July 3, 2003, 12:50 AM by jediguy »
". . . now screwed we all will be."

-Yoda // Star Wars: Episode III: A Lost Hope

Virex

« Reply #19 on: July 3, 2003, 01:06 AM »
Here's the new teaser poster, on the off-chance that someone here hasn't seen it yet:

I think I heard that they're supposed to release more posters like this, with different characters, in the weeks and months ahead. . .

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 4, 2003, 12:15 AM »
I haven't.  Thanks, it looks cool!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #21 on: July 4, 2003, 07:57 PM »
I saw that poster in the lobby when I saw T3 today. I wanted to walk out with it, but the greaseballs behind the concession stand were looking in that direction. Off to allposters.com I go.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 7, 2003, 03:10 AM »
I've read the book already so I know what's going to happen.  I'm sure it will be pretty close to the book, and lots of eye candy just like the first 2.  I was saddened not to see Shelob in TTT, so that's how it should start.

I'd like to see him do the Hobbit and the Silmarillion.  the Hobbit would give a great back-story, and the Silmarillion has the origins of Sauron, and Shelob's mother.
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #23 on: July 7, 2003, 09:40 AM »
That teaser poster looks great!  Thanks for sharing it with us Virex.
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: July 7, 2003, 12:08 PM »
The ending will be different from the book by all accounts I have heard.  

I actually thought the whole Scouring of the Shire bit at the end of the book was too long and drawn out anyway.  I realize it was there to show that the Hobbits had all grown up and they could take care of themselves now but I didn't think it was necessary.  I really can't wait for the darn trailer though...I think i heard not until August

Funny thing about The Hobbit too which I am currently reading.  While the lore is still the same I am very much struck at how different the writing styles of Hobbit and LOTR actually are.  The Hobbit is very much more a CHildrens tale (almost comedic in a lot of spots) while LOTR is adult fiction and yet they are meant to be from the saga.

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 7, 2003, 01:48 PM »
When you think about the Hobbit and LOTR's plots, one is about an adventure for treasure, and the other is a life or death quest to save the world. I think LOTR would have to be more serious. I mean, the end of the world isn't very comical. :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #26 on: July 7, 2003, 01:51 PM »
Oh sure I realize that, it just is facinating that the Tolkien wrote about the same basic world in two totally different ways (and I guess the Silmarillion is even slightly different in almost a textbook sort of way)

The man was amazing!

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 8, 2003, 11:20 AM »
The Hobbit is the easiest read.  I've read it 4 times since I was 16.  The LOTR trilogy is a bit tougher, and The Silmarillion is by far the toughest.  The Silmarillion reads kind of like the Bible.  It's all about the beginings.  It has some great tales, but I found myself constantly flipping to the back of the book to look up the terms.  It seems like everyone had 3 names.  It's worth reading just for the stories of Sauron, and Beren & Luthien.
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2003, 03:34 PM »
Where is the trailer!  I cannot wait for this movie, more than Episode III for sure
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

obi_robz

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2003, 04:38 AM »
The Silmarillion reads kind of like the Bible.  It's all about the beginings.  It has some great tales, but I found myself constantly flipping to the back of the book to look up the terms.

LOL, that’s exactly right! – the reference section of my copy has a huge thumb print on it :)

It’s so cool how the bible-like Silmarillion sets up this totally believable alternate history for the world, which then can accommodate the contrasting story telling styles of the Hobbit and LOTR.

I can’t wait for ROTK. What I’ve really enjoyed about the two films so far is the humanising of the characters – I think they’re even more interesting and plausible than in the books. I like the way that PJ has kept with all the fellowship members and hopefully this will continue in last film, because the only thing that disappointed the ROTK book was that Legolas and Gimli didn’t have so much to do – I’m sure PJ will write in some more cool stuff for them in this film like he did in TTT.