Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 57798 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Lord of the Rings
« on: December 18, 2002, 10:55 AM »
I can't go until this week due to the Padawan but I can't wait...anyone screen it last night, going today???  Let me hear all about it...the second best trilogy ever!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Lord of the Rings
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2002, 08:01 PM »
My wife went out of state two days ago for a wedding, and made me promise to wait until she gets back on Sunday to see it, so I'm unfortunately stuck in a holding pattern on this highly anticipated flick as well...   :(

And I'd have to agree with your second best trilogy award there too Scott.  Behind the Original Trilogy, but (I might get flamed for this) ahead of the Prequels...by a pretty fair margin.  Of course George still has a slim chance of rectifying that, but he's got a LOT of ground to make up at this point!

FOTR was amazing, and from everything I've heard, TTT is even better.  I can't wait!

Offline Becky

• Youngling
  • Peace..
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2002, 11:03 PM »
The movie was awesome.  I can not describe the film any better, than that one word--awesome.   :)  

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #3 on: January 2, 2003, 11:59 AM »
Coming from someone who hasn't read the books and thus didn't know what was going to happen....

The movie was really cool, at least the combat made the movie awesome, the storyline w/ all these weird names doesn't make it all too fluid for me, but then again I havent read the books. It all eventually makes sense.

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 2, 2003, 04:52 PM »
I can't wait to see it! I'm going this weekend. Like many of you, I haven't read any of the books, but I know all the names and stuff. ;)

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 2, 2003, 05:05 PM »
I can't wait to see it myself. I think we are going this weekend.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2003, 03:00 PM »
I caught this epic again for the second time just recently, and all I've got to say is AWESOME.  The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is what I was truly hoping the Star Wars prequels were going to be all along, but they've fallen far short of Peter Jackson's excellent LOTR work IMO.

I love that most everything just looks and feels real in both of the LOTR flicks.  Not nearly as much CG, and when there is, it's not nearly as noticeable and overwhelming.  Someone said it very well elsewhere, when they said that Peter Jackson uses CGI to advance the overall story when necessary, but George Lucas practically uses CGI as his story.  There's just too much of it in the Prequels.  I often find myself realizing that not a single thing on the screen at that moment is real, and thinking that I'm essentially just watching a really well done cartoon.

I also love the added length to the LOTR films.  I understand that some people don't care much for 3 hour length movies - usually due to drinking too many sodas and needing to bust a squirt doing the movie, but I love a good, long movie.  Certainly more entertainment value, to say the least.  There's so much more story to tell and character development that should take place in the Prequels, but Lucas absolutely refuses to go over 2 hours and 20 minutes total for any of his movies (and it's certainly not a cost issue).  At this day and age, that's plain silly.  There's been tons of very lengthy movies (over 2.5 hours) that have done huge box office over the past 5 years.  Why can't Star Wars jump into that mix as well and give us more of what we want to see.

I could go on and on about what I've enjoyed in LOTR so far, but I won't.  Basically, Tolkien's already excellent stories have just been brilliantly interpreted into film by Jackson.  They're just epic all the way through.

It should be very interesting to see what George has in store for Episode 3, 'cause there's a hell of a lot of story left to tell, loose ends to tie up, parts to tie into the O.T., etc.  Please Mr. Lucas:  Return to the OT magic, and give us a kick a$$ Episode 3, so the Saga can go out in style...

But at this point, the Prequels have virtually no chance of catching LOTR for second best trilogy of all time - behind the Original Trilogy of course!  Just my opinion, of course...

Just caught this link that Scott posted to an interesting debate over the two film franchises at USAToday's site.  Interesting...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2003, 08:23 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Guttersnipe

• Jedi Initiate
  • Tramampoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2003, 04:58 AM »
I finally saw it over the weekend. Excellent.
The one thing I will mention is.............. Gollum 8)
It just goes to show that if a character is developed enough and truly is done well then you can love him even if he is skirting on the edge of sanity.
I really felt for Gollum and the fact that he was CGI never caused me to look for the "fake" look, or the bits that just look unreal and cartoony. This is the first case for me when a major CGI character has been so damn convincing unlike his comparison.......Jar Jar Binks.
It makes me think that maybe if Jar Jar was a better character to begin with he could have been as convincing as Gollum was, maybe even better. But when you start hating something, you look for more reason to hate it until you can't stand it.

Sorry all you Jar Jar fans but seeing Gollum made me realise just how much better he could have been.

Did anyone notice the background behind Merry, Pippin and Treebeard?
Treebeard was done absolutely brilliantly but the background was so lame it kind of ruined all the shots where you could see it. There was no problem when you saw all of Treebeard, it was just the close ups >:(

« Last Edit: January 22, 2003, 04:59 AM by Guttersnipe »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #8 on: July 1, 2003, 02:31 PM »
I may be alone in this, but I can't wait to see the final movie in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. In fact, I've already got December 17th off of work so I can stand in line and await cinematic bliss. I didn't even do this for 'The Phantom Menace' or 'Attack of the Clones' or the previous two LOTR flicks, for that matter.

Anybody patiently or not-so-patiently awaiting this movie? 8)
« Last Edit: April 2, 2007, 09:41 PM by OCB »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 1, 2003, 02:48 PM »
Definitely anticipating the movie.  Impatiently?  Not really.  I've got lots to do between now and then.  I'll start getting really frenzied when the Giftpack edition of The Two Towers comes out on DVD.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #10 on: July 1, 2003, 03:23 PM »
I'm looking forward to it, but I'm not over anxious for it to come out.
dustrho

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #11 on: July 1, 2003, 04:14 PM »
I'm really looking forward to it myself.  TheOneRing.net is saying the preview trailer may be in front of T3, so that ought to get everybody going again.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 1, 2003, 04:16 PM »
 I like The Lord or the Rings series quite a bit but I'm that juiced for ROTK just yet .  I think it's because The Twin Towers was just in theatres in Dec.  I have not had enough time to miss the series yet.   Plus I am not really what you call a LOTR fan.  I don't know all the characters by heart or the story even.  I am not into it like Star Wars.  However, when the movie is about to be released I will be ready for it.  I will get the whole series on DVD for sure.  I think Peter Jackson has done a great job for their fans.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: July 1, 2003, 04:22 PM »
I may be alone in this, but I can't wait to see the final movie in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

You kidding me with that statement HMI?!   :D   :P

You're definitely not alone in your anticipation for the final flick from LOTR!  This is an absolutely amazing trilogy that Peter Jackson and his cast and crew have put together.  Simply breathtaking and awe-inspiring.  It's everything I was hoping the Star Wars prequels would be, but unfortunately weren't.

I'm really looking forward to the conclusion as well.  It doesn't hold the place in my heart that Star Wars does, where I feel the need to buy every collectible on the market, wait in line overnight, travel the country to conventions, etc.  But the LOTR movies themselves are just awesome.  I love being "in" that universe that Tolkien created...

But ROTJ won't be the end of this saga, technically...  After the HUGE success of this trilogy, you can only assume that someone, hopefully Peter Jackson, will go back and do the prequel at least!  There's very little doubt in my mind that The Hobbit will eventually make it to the big screen as well.  That should be a fun one too, if not a little less on the serious side.  There was an amazing fan made Hobbit trailer a few months back that got everyone thinking it was the real thing.  Very cool.  No idea where it went, but I'm sure someone here could provide a link.

So bring on ROTK!  Another epic it will be, I'm sure...   8)

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #14 on: July 1, 2003, 05:17 PM »
I cannot wait for this movie. I am a LOTR fan and I have to say so far Peter has done an excellent job bringing the tale to life on the big screen.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com