Author Topic: Recent Vintage Collection Purchases  (Read 302763 times)

Offline snuffx

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Recent Vintage Collection Purchases
« Reply #75 on: August 5, 2010, 04:29 PM »
I went to my local Wal-Mart today to pick up some of the new figures. To my surprise the shelves were still empty. I asked a store associate when they would stock the new figures, I received the reply “Eventually”. Well that narrows it down. So then I figured I would go the next Wal-Mart 15 miles away and when I got there it was the same thing, the shelves were empty. I don’t have a Target or TRU within a hundred miles of me. So I guess I will have wait and hope I get there about the time they finally put them out.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 5, 2010, 04:34 PM »
Mistake one. Asking a Walmart employee a question.
Mistake two. Expecting a rational answer from said Walmart employee.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 5, 2010, 06:33 PM »

Yeah - I've been getting that a lot - the best was at one WalMart, I asked them to check the UPC # for Jabba and I was told that no one was working at that moment that knew how to do that.

Great job with training your people!
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: August 5, 2010, 07:42 PM »
WM's doing their resets right now, that's why there's lots of stores with virtually empty shelves in the toy dept.  They're notoriously slow to do complete resets.  I saw the exact same thing yesterday, complete with new plan-o-grams laid out showing how the new Star Wars set-up would look.  Everything at that store was to the back of the aisle near the back wall.

I'm guessing that store will be done Friday night, or possibly over the weekend.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 5, 2010, 07:43 PM »
Hurray for unexpected Vintage finds!

So I walk into a "Just For Fun" store (which hasn't carried "Star Wars" action figures since Ep.I in 1999) with my friends, and I encountered a whole section of brand spankin' new TCW, LC and TVC figures. And, surprisingly enough, the store had a very healthy and impressive assortment of LC figures - Hoth Luke and AT-AT Driver, DSII Luke...

But the best part was TVC. All of wave 1 was here, except Boba, Vader, and Luke. The crappy part? TVC figures were $15!! Uhm, hell to the no! LC figures were $13, and I didn't bother checking TCW figures.

I'm very over-excited by these finds. Being that the store is in my neighborhood, I'll definitely be shopping here, but only when I can't find certain figures at retail - I was shocked by the prices!
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 5, 2010, 08:23 PM »

I've long since given up on one of my local Wal-Marts, and I have been referring to it as "The Land of Jerjerrod" for at least two years, since they've had a (very slowly declining) stock of 2006 TSC Jejerrods (currently 8 and counting!) for the past 4 years.  What makes it worse is we have a Hasbro rep in my area who will routinely come and clear the pegs of older figures, and the WM toy department manager just busts open the "RETURN FOR CREDIT" boxes and restocks the pegs with them.  So, if you're looking for any of those "recalled" Ugnaughts, Needas, Brainiacs, and Yarnas (along with 8 Jerjerrods!), I can tell you exactly where to find them.  :-\

This particular WM is also horrible about resets.  They didn't get the GI Joe movie toys until a month after the movie had opened (at which point everyone had already gotten all they wanted), and aside from the new Iron Man movie toys, they've had the exact same stock in the action figure aisle for the last 8 months.  A trickle of things sell, but they're never restocked.  Strangely, every Wal-Mart I've been into in the last 8 months looks like K-Marts usually look (i.e. someone's earlier analogy to a t-shirt gun being used to stock the shelves).  This from the company that claimed they were going to be the Number 1 toy retailer and drive Toys R Us out of business?  Yikes.

And to keep my post on topic, I bought the AT-AT at Toys R Us yesterday and, boy, is it a monster. :)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #81 on: August 5, 2010, 11:05 PM »
Years ago, I belive in 2003 when there was no new product for months, I actually printed out little cards with little holes punched in them that said "Dear Target, Please re-stock you Star Wars figures."   I then would hang them on every empty peg in the SW section.  I don't know if it ever worked, and I'm sure they thought I was a loon, but it felt good to point out how much business they were losing.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 5, 2010, 11:23 PM »
You a loon, SpeederMike? Never.... ;)
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 6, 2010, 01:22 AM »
Years ago, I belive in 2003 when there was no new product for months, I actually printed out little cards with little holes punched in them that said "Dear Target, Please re-stock you Star Wars figures."   I then would hang them on every empty peg in the SW section.  I don't know if it ever worked, and I'm sure they thought I was a loon, but it felt good to point out how much business they were losing.

That's hilarious.  I totally want to do that.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 6, 2010, 05:02 AM »

Mistake three. Going to the only 24-hour WalMart in your area at 4am hoping to see an August 6th "nirvana" of new toys only to get the response of "New Star Wars?" from the employee working what pallets were put out.

Hasbro's lack of new Star Wars product at this store has essentially reduced the Star Wars shelf-space/peg-space down to one peg with the WalMart Comic Packs, one peg with two Clonetrooper Echo figures and a peg for the lightsabers.

Wow! What a great job with the August 6th "launch"!  ::)
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 6, 2010, 06:18 AM »
^ That's miserable.  Ugh.

If I were in your area I'd just order cases from Entertainment Earth.  That's what I have to do with Marvel Universe where I live. 

I can't complain about Star Wars too much.  TRU has had Vintage for 3 weeks, albeit at $9.99, and in the last 2 days both of my Targets have stocked the entire Star Wars line, I found every figure, battle pack and vehicle in multiples.

I don't even bother checking Walmart, all 3 within range here suck beyond belief.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 6, 2010, 07:10 AM »
That wouldn't help me with getting the 2 Jabba sets I need though. If there had been a case of Jabbas there, I wouldn't even be hunting this morning.

I have wave 1 everything and wave 2 legends, so at this point, I'm looking for the Mace Windu CW wave, ROTS Vintage and Deluxe Wave 2.

I also still need a second AT-AT and a MIB R/C Hailfire Droid, but I'm not overly concerned about those at this point.
Peter

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 6, 2010, 06:49 PM »
Well - I stumbled on a C9 MIB AT-AT this afternoon so I snagged it, now I can finally open the other one I picked up last week. I can't wait to have the BAT-AT out of the package.
Peter

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #88 on: August 7, 2010, 02:59 AM »
I picked up a Cloud Car tonight at the sale price (yay me), and an AT-AT Commander to have an extra...

I'm down to PRETTY much buying extras of Dak and AT-AT Commanders now.

Love the Cloud Car by the way...  Another work of art.  Amazingly scaled, great detail and paint aps...  I can't blame anyone annoyed by the holes/buttons on the engine, but they don't bother me enough to hate a ship that's done this well, this accurately in scale, this detailed (otherwise), features the opening engine hoods for NO reason, and which Hasbro at one point was flat out not doing at all because it was "boring".  If the torpedo holes and buttons are all there is to deal with then I'm happy enough.

This blows the vintage mold out of the water too, something that I felt was outstanding in its own right.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #89 on: August 7, 2010, 11:11 AM »
JJ, agreed on the Cloud Car. I have two one is manned with two of the Vintage Stash pilots and the othe with two of the OTC version.

I picked up Tul Kessa out of boredom, Luke X-Wng and another pack of Battle Droids.

I would have picked up the Chewbacca for my cantina but they added snow splatter on him. I really wish they would rerelease the screaming tin Chewbacca without Snow deco in this line. He is the perfect Bespin Dinner ambush Chewie. It also would have been cool if they would release the Sandstorm Chewcacca (Sans the bandage) in Hoth Deco as the wind was blowing there when they took out the Probot. It's these kinds of simple changes that could get more collector involvement in Legends. I am happy they updated the weapons packs at the very least.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/