Author Topic: Recent Vintage Collection Purchases  (Read 303353 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Recent Vintage Collection Purchases
« Reply #165 on: October 11, 2010, 08:26 PM »
One of the positives, if you can look at it that way, is that the vintage wave 3 hasn't surfaced overseas.  No ROTJ wave yet, so generally the rule of thumb is a month out from the first overseas images...  That worked out pretty exact with most of the items this year.  It's not always the case, but generally.

Sometimes I've gotten images early I cannot post, and so far ROTJ wave hasn't been one of them either, so I think ROTJ wave is probably a little bit off yet.  You really never know though as surprises sneak through a lot.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 11, 2010, 10:33 PM »
After the target glut, I hope ROTJ stays off for a few more weeks.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2010, 10:39 AM »
After the target glut, I hope ROTJ stays off for a few more weeks.

I have to say, our stores are pretty full right now as well.  Target and WM in particular have a pretty healthy supply of waves 1 and 2, and I don't know if "new" stuff would make it to the pegs right now anyways.  I usually - at least with the vintage line - just order a set online, and then attempt to pick up extras at retail (or at HTS if/when they get them and have a code).  A short break is just fine, but I have to say I'm really looking forward to that ROTJ wave.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2010, 12:00 PM »
I could not agree more with the glut in one shot. What makes this worse is that they are exclusives so you feel more pressured to buy because sell out always varies. I think the Hoth sets will blow out, the geo sets will likely linger again, at least longer than the Hoth sets. Speaking of which...

I picked up another Defense of Hoth & Attack on Hoth. So far I have 3 of each set and plan on picking up a few more. I am just going to recoup first then pick more up. I have some extra stuff from the sets in my trade/sale thread if anyone is interested.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2010, 03:50 PM »
Not sure if this classifies as a recent Vintage Collection purchase - but I scored the 2010 Geonosis 2-packs this morning on my way into work.

Had to use the DPCI trick to get them, none of my Targets have put the stuff out early.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2010, 05:19 PM »
Not sure if this classifies as a recent Vintage Collection purchase - but I scored the 2010 Geonosis 2-packs this morning on my way into work.

Had to use the DPCI trick to get them, none of my Targets have put the stuff out early.

How does Shakk Ti look to you? Worth picking up if you have the TLC version from earlier this year?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2010, 07:39 PM »
They're nowhere near close to one another in terms of looks, so I think comparing them is like comparing an Anakin and a Darth Vader figure, ya know? 

I've been wanting an SA Shaak Ti since we got the "almost there" version in 2005, which is a grand figure herself for the most part, complete with her datapad searching for Palpatine.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2010, 10:25 PM »
I had read somewhere that the ROTS figure was going to include a hole in the neck, from when Grievous stabs her in the deleted scene. :o

Anyways, I'm not sure if I like her eyes - they're completely black. Is this accurate? JTA claims so, but I've seen pictures where she has whites in her eyes. And Ahsoka does too, and she's also a Togruta.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2010, 10:27 PM »
How does Shakk Ti look to you? Worth picking up if you have the TLC version from earlier this year?

Pretty good - I haven't opened her up, but out of all of the figures in these sets, Shaak Ti is one of the ones I was looking forward to the most. Edit: I've opened up her set first and she is a fantastic figure. The only difference I would make is the addition of articulated ankles, but the fact that she doesn't have them really doesn't detract from the figure.

The TLC EU wave figure is great for what it is - Shaak Ti from The Force Unleashed, hiding on Felucia in a barely-there outfit.

This figure, to me at least, looks to be a great Shaak Ti from the movies and could have easily been inserted into the Vintage Collection ROTS or AOTC assortments.

On the topic of recent purchases, add to the Geonosis 2-packs, the Defense of and Assault on Hoth Battlepacks - grabbed two of each on the way home from work.

I haven't opened the Assault on Hoth set, but the Defense of Hoth set is great. If it's not too much of a hassle to score a second Defense of Hoth set, I think I definitely will pick it up.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 12:58 AM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 13, 2010, 08:59 AM »

Anyways, I'm not sure if I like her eyes - they're completely black. Is this accurate? JTA claims so, but I've seen pictures where she has whites in her eyes. And Ahsoka does too, and she's also a Togruta.

I am right there with you on the eyes part - not quite sure I like it.  However, I have been without a ROTS Shaak Ti for quite some time now, 5-6 years.  She was one of the first victims to our new puppy when we got him...  So yeah, I picked that Geonosis set up when I saw it.  I am very happy about the elbow articulation now.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 13, 2010, 09:21 AM »
They're nowhere near close to one another in terms of looks, so I think comparing them is like comparing an Anakin and a Darth Vader figure, ya know? 

Yeah, I know, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of the facial sculpt, and specifically the eyes, which bug for me some reason because of the inconsistency.

After reading Pete's review though, I am pretty much sold and am buying this on site next time I see it.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #176 on: October 13, 2010, 02:18 PM »
The original ROTS figure was originally designed to have a removable piece so you could stab her with a saber, but that was removed for the production figure's back/chest.  You can still see a remnant of the removable bit on her back though.

It was probably removed last second because the scene was cut and the feature was a tad graphic.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 15, 2010, 12:18 PM »
The number may not be exact because I did the math on my fingers, but I believe this week with all the Target stuff and other regular release stuff I've spent about two billion dollars.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 15, 2010, 03:13 PM »
I picked up two of the Vintage Packaging TIEs and one of the Vintage Packaging Snowspeeders this morning.

The one Snowspeeder and one of the TIEs are to keep MIB.

The second TIE is to open - I believe it's a new combination of cockpit and color. Right?
Peter

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 15, 2010, 10:09 PM »
Huge morning/afternoon for me today.  Picked up:

-Republic Swamp Speeder
-Hyena Bomber
-Saga Legends Jango Fett (30AC version)
-Assault on Hoth Battle Pack
-Defense of Hoth Battle Pack
-4 of 6 Geonosis Arena Showdown 2 packs (all but Anakin/Droideka and Obi-Wan/SBD)
-CW Senate Commando 2 pack

My bank account is hurting.  I'm with Anton on this one; if the ROTJ wave takes another month or two to get here, I won't complain a bit. :)