Author Topic: EE Exclusive Comic Packs  (Read 30673 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: EE Exclusive Comic Packs
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 10:23 PM »
Thanks....where was the love for the people who ordered a couple of days after you posted them?

Those are being honored too - EE sent emails out to those folks.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2010, 01:36 PM »
I usually wait until stuff is in stock, but this got me to pre-order a set. Thanks to EE!
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2010, 02:08 PM »
Awesome.  That's a great collection of comic packs.  How come those didn't come out in stores and instead we got any of a dozen sets that frankly were nowhere near as exciting?  $15 per plus shipping is a bit steep for me right now, but hopefully I'll be able to get a couple.
I am not the Stig

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 02:21 PM »
No kidding, Hasbro's business decisions in handling the comic pack line was extremely frustrating.  At least these ARE finding a home (and a good one at that).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2010, 02:31 PM »
That Mereel/Montross set is pure badassery to me.  It's a shame that one has fallen to exclusive status like this.  I thinK Maul/Owen would've done surprisingly well at retail too (since Maul tends to).  Some of those others I think would've tanked...  The Delia Blue set, the KOTOR set perhaps...  Comics were weird like that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2010, 02:43 PM »
I thinK Maul/Owen would've done surprisingly well at retail too (since Maul tends to). 

I'm so disappointed the Maul/Owen set is a limited run. Wouldn't it seem that, by making it a wider release, Hasbro would be making more money than just a limited release? Although it's also a little pricier than a standard CP.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2010, 02:59 PM »
I think that it's coming as an exclusive is fine, since the line itself was dead before the figure's release.  It was designed with the idea the comic packs were going to survive...  The line didn't.  It wasn't all anti-collector-packs that killed it either.  Quite the contrary, as there's TONS of collector-only packs that helped kill comic packs (Leia/Xixor, I'm looking at the piles of you still at my local WM's).

Would this have done well?  Maybe, but it wasn't slotted in earlier to get the chance.  It maybe wasn't thought of till late, and that's just the breaks I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2010, 06:08 AM »
Darth Nihl  >:D

WANT!!!!!!!!
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2010, 10:48 AM »
I just put in an order too... I found some coupon codes for $5.00 off of $50.00 on some website called coupon chief.

"tjoos" was one that worked for me.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2010, 03:02 PM »
Good news from the SDCC presentation panel!

The sets are selling well, and, if they continue to sell out, Hasbro might take this as a possible hopeful indication to maybe bring back the CPs line. Yay! ;D
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2010, 05:54 PM »
They should.  There was always demand for good comic packs; they just screwed up the format with some shoddy character selections like Xizor/Leia and half of the Wal-Mart ones, which prevented Wal-Mart from ordering non-exclusives.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2010, 05:56 PM »
I wish they weren't so comic-centric.  If there was more stuff from the novels I'd be more interested.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2010, 09:32 PM »
I agree with that completely Rob.  There's such a rich pool of characters to choose from that they have just barely begun to tap.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2010, 02:35 AM »
I wonder if the Xizor pack would have done better if he'd been packed with Dash Rendar instead of Leia. Nice to see theres some hope of these being revived someday though, it was always one of my favorite sub-lines. I'd love to see them get a full run of Heir to the Empire. Still quite a few characters they could do from that.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2010, 07:28 AM »
I wonder if the Xizor pack would have done better if he'd been packed with Dash Rendar instead of Leia. Nice to see theres some hope of these being revived someday though, it was always one of my favorite sub-lines. I'd love to see them get a full run of Heir to the Empire. Still quite a few characters they could do from that.

I always felt that the set would have done better if they included Guri instead of Leia. The Leia figure in theory was sort of okay too, where it ran into problems was the horrible execution of the lower legs of the figure, giving Leia the appearance of "cankles". If you look at the second Clone Wars Padme figure that figure has the inset ball-jointed ankles and her legs are TINY. There's no reason why Leia's legs couldn't have been done small like that, and if they didn't have a way to do it at the time, then they should have just left the figure with knee joints and skipped the ankle joints.

The real shame is that the Xizor figure is pretty nice, from a modern sculpting point-of-view, but he's a modern version of a character that wasn't very popular in the first place.

So what you have in this set is a nice version of a not-so-popular character and a really lousy version of Princess Leia, in an outfit that I don't think ANYONE was really clammoring for.

If they were gonna include a Shadows of the Empire comic pack in the Blue/White Legacy line, they should have just gone with a Dash Rendar / Leebo set which would have appealed to a much larger audience - even to kids who have no idea who Dash Rendar is.

It's interesting that they made the comments that they did regarding these exclusive packs selling well. If you think about it there is something great about each of these sets:

Baron Fel and Ysanne Isard
  • Two imperials - Imperials are always popular
  • Popular characters from EU/Rogue Squadron series
  • Take advantage of a great Imperial officer parts library

Darth Nihl and Deliah Blue
  • A must-have for folks who love the Legacy comic series
  • Add another Sith Lord to Darty Krayt's ranks
  • Two completely new figures
  • It's got a Sith Lord in it, what else is there to say?

Jarael and Rohlan Dyre
  • A KOTOR-era Mandalorian
  • A KOTOR-era female Jedi-like character
  • Two completely new figures

Mandalorians Jaster Mereel and Montross
  • Two Prequel Era Mandalorians - enough said
  • Both figures are nice balance between a library of great parts and new bits and pieces to make them both new

So to me, not ONE of these sets are as bad as say the Marvel Darth Vader/Rebel Officer, Marvel Han Solo/Chewie, Marvel Luke/R2, Marvel Tarkin/Stormtrooper, Republic Clone Trooper/Clone Commander sets, i.e. a set that is nothing more than REPAINTS of previously issued figures.

There's also one VERY important thing about this wave too - if you buy a case, you get 2x each of four NEW sets. There hasn't been a Comic Packs case that offered that EVER - there was always either a pack with funky colors on the figures or a re-packed Comic Pack from the previous packaging iteration or wave.

Cases that feature waves of four/six/eight NEW figures/2-packs/etc... that are packed EVENLY two-per-case are always going to do well online because it is appealing to either the collector that gets one of everything to open and one of everything to keep MOC or it's appealing to two collector friends who want just one of each and they can EASILY split the case and not have any left-overs/un-wanted product.

The person who REALLY should be taking note, is the moron who comes up with the basic figure assortment pack-out ratios.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 07:30 AM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!