Author Topic: Vintage Collection Pricing - Sales, Discounts, Price Hikes!  (Read 259104 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Vintage Collection Pricing - Sales, Discounts, Price Hikes!
« Reply #735 on: May 19, 2012, 01:12 AM »
Anyone wanna buy me all their RFT's at Tuesday Morning stores and send them my way?  I don't have enough.  :'(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 21, 2012, 11:04 AM »
I was just at Target and they had GI Joe figures for like $7 on clearance.  I was a little surprised at the cost - I thought they were only $7-8 to begin with.

I noticed that too... Spider-Man figures were "marked down" to $7, "originally $10". I'm pretty sure they were pricing that Spidey line at like $8.50 a figure, so not much of a deal. But then again I've found that outside of the odd exclusive, Target doesn't really like getting money from collectors anyway, so no big deal.

I've noticed that, in recent months, Target will mark up things to a ridiculous amount a few weeks before they put it on clearance.  Saw this most recently back in January when they jacked the prices of the Mattel DC Batman Legacy two packs (you know, the one with Gordon and Wayne that every store had tons of?) up to 40 bucks before marking it down to 20 2 weeks later.  I don't know if they've got someone else in charge of things these days on the corporate level, but between that, the 17 dollar TF:DOTM deluxes, and the 10 dollar Joes, it seems to be standard policy now.  I guess that way, when the first clearance is back to original retail price, they can pretend like you're getting a deal by saying "WAS 10 DOLLARS, NOW 7!"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #737 on: May 21, 2012, 02:05 PM »
That's pretty shady stuff...  And disappointing.

I got a Skystriker for $18 for my brother.  I thought that was fair...  The Joes though, that's inexcusable.  Their clearance price is more than their regular price at some other stores.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 21, 2012, 02:43 PM »
it happens at other stores too.  I remember WM doing the same thing with the GI Joe ROC line before it ended - boosting figures that weren't selling for retail up and over $10.  its crazy - not sure why it happens, but for some reason it does. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #739 on: May 21, 2012, 02:46 PM »
I recall that too but it happened here after they'd already been clearanced...  Like ROC was selling for a clearance price, then they were bumped to $10 right around the time that new Joes on the new line look started shipping.  STill have some figures at one WM, $10 a pop.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 21, 2012, 03:05 PM »
I think it's just the psychological thing about thinking you're getting a deal when really you're getting things for what they normally cost or a small percentage of what you'd normally pay.  I mean grandmas and grandpas aren't going to know the regular price for items.  They'll see the $7 when normally $10 (when it's usually $8) and think they're getting a great deal and pick it up.  It happens in clothing and others things, not just toys.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 21, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Today's consumer has no idea what is or is not a good price for things.  I honestly think most people care more about how much they "saved" than how much they spent.  My wife will occassionally come home with a big purchase of stuff and it's like clockwork.  I ask, "How much did that cost?" and she ALWAYS responds, "It was a great deal, I saved $____."  I could really care less how much you think you saved...the important question is how much money is missing from our checking account?

I blame the car dealers - I think this all originated with them back in the day.  No one wants a $15,000 car selling for $15,000.  Make that same car a $20,000 car selling for $15,000 and people will physically hurt each other to get one.  Kay-Bee toys did this up until their dying breath.  Everything there was stickered for $2 more than anywhere else, but they had red ink crossing out the price with a new amount that was (shockingly) $2 less.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #742 on: May 21, 2012, 08:58 PM »
I was reading something about that just the other day...  It's something touched on when I was in college but I never paid it too much attention.  It's being felt by JC Penney right now though with their new campaign under their new CEO.  They figured by taking out coupons/sales and selling clothes and such at a "bottom dollar price" that people would flock to them but it's been the other way around.  They've been hurt dramatically by the practice and it's painted them into a bad corner now.

Perceived value was a term that was preached some when I was in school though though...  It's a variable that's hard to predict because, to each individual, it varies, and sometimes greatly.  It's one of those things that, in SW terms, I've found really interesting (at least how I've viewed the line since it's start).  It's something that, lately, has come up too, in regards to "cheaper" figures rolling out to dollar stores and things.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #743 on: May 21, 2012, 09:06 PM »
Courtesy of our Anonymous Target Source, it seems Target will be running their own Buy-One-Get-One 50% Off Sale from 5/27 - 6/2!

This is on all Star Wars Action and Pre-School toys, NOT Lego.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 21, 2012, 09:16 PM »
I remember TRU jacked up the price of the BMF from $120 to $150 just to clearance it again for $120. They did the same thing with the AT-AT.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #745 on: May 21, 2012, 09:19 PM »
Courtesy of our Anonymous Target Source, it seems Target will be running their own Buy-One-Get-One 50% Off Sale from 5/27 - 6/2!

This is on all Star Wars Action and Pre-School toys, NOT Lego.

Sweet! Hopefully folks will finally be able to get some new stuff as this sale clears some of the dregs off the pegs.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #746 on: May 21, 2012, 09:49 PM »
Be a dream to find some new mixed in there too.

I'm gonna probably try and nab a couple army builders and custom fodder figs too though.  I've been eyeing a couple particular figures.

Lil Ani's make nice slaughter victims for big Ani, you just have to find heads to go with them. :(

Or not I guess, depending how gruesome you want that scene to ultimately be, I suppose.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 22, 2012, 01:19 AM »
That'll make a good birthday present for me... too bad there's nothing worth buying there though. I guess I could always get a few more Battle Droids...
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 22, 2012, 11:07 AM »
I can't believe it's taken Target this long to have a decent sale on this stuff.  All the ones in my area are down to a handful of TPM and Utapaua clones as far as vintage goes.  Movie Heroes/CW is another story - the first wave is literally falling off the pegs and you can even see dust on top of the plastic bubbles.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 22, 2012, 01:19 PM »
The junk that the Target I frequent doesn't sell for $9 or $10 a piece so being "forced" to buy two figs for $6.75 or $7.50 a piece doesn't make me think much of it is going to go anywhere because of this sale. Hope I'm wrong.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within