Author Topic: Saddam's Two Sons Killed in U.S. Raid  (Read 3376 times)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Saddam's Two Sons Killed in U.S. Raid
« on: July 22, 2003, 06:06 PM »
Normally I wouldn't start a thread relating to politics or war, but this one is a must.  Saddam's two sons were killed today by U.S. forces.  Next up... Saddam himself.  Here's the story from the Associated Press...

Saddam's Two Sons Killed in U.S. Raid

By SARMAD JALAL, Associated Press Writer

MOSUL, Iraq - Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s sons Odai and Qusai were killed in a six-hour firefight Tuesday when U.S. forces, acting on a tip from an Iraqi informant, surrounded and then stormed a palatial villa in this northern Iraqi city, a senior American general said.

Four coalition soldiers were wounded and two other Iraqis were killed in the raid, but Saddam was not among them. The house belonged to one of Saddam's cousins, a key tribal leader in the region.

"We are certain that Odai and Qusai were killed today," said Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez told reporters in Baghdad. "The bodies were in such a condition where you could identify them."

The deaths of the sons could have a major impact on the Iraqi resistance, which has been mounting a dozen attacks a day against U.S. occupation troops. The guerrillas are thought to be former military officers and Baath Party leaders loyal to Saddam and his family — especially the sons, who played primary roles in the military and feared security services.

After the firefight in Mosul, about 1,000 people gathered outside the smoldering villa, some expressing delight, others cursing the Americans.

Hours later, gunfire erupted throughout Baghdad, making travel in the capital very dangerous. The shooting was believed to be celebratory as news spread of the sons' deaths.

"It's probably very appropriate that they would be celebrating about now," Sanchez said.

Both Odai (pronounced oh-DEYE) and Qusai (pronounced koh-SEYE) ranked second only to their father in the deposed regime. They were Nos. 2 and 3 on the U.S. list of 55 top former Iraqi officials wanted by Washington. The United States had offered a $25 million reward for information leading to Saddam's capture and $15 million each for his sons.

In Washington, L. Paul Bremer, Iraq (news - web sites)'s top civilian administrator, said the deaths of Saddam's sons "certainly is good news for the Iraqi people."

"This will contribute significantly to reducing attacks on coalition soldiers," said Ahmad Chalabi, a delegate from Iraq's Governing Council, speaking at the United Nations (news - web sites).

Sanchez said he thought the security situation now would improve.

"I believe very firmly this will have an effect. This will prove to the Iraqi people that these two members of the Iraqi regime will never come to power again," the general said.

Throughout the day, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld personally briefed President Bush (news - web sites) about the assault.

The gunfight in Mosul broke out after soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division surrounded the stone, columned villa.

When soldiers approached the building, gunmen inside opened fire with small arms. The "suspects barricaded themselves in the house" and "resisted fiercely," Sanchez said.

"They died in a fierce gunbattle," he added.

Soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division were working on a tip from an Iraqi informant Monday night that the sons were in the house, he said.

Asked if the United States would pay the $15 million rewards, Sanchez said: "I would expect that it probably will happen."

According to witnesses, a small force of American soldiers went to the house about 9 a.m. and asked permission to search it. The occupants refused, and the patrol withdrew until about 10 a.m., when 100 more soldiers arrived in 25 vehicles.

The Americans opened fire and took fierce return fire from inside the home, the witnesses said. Kiowa helicopters then shot rockets into the villa.

The building, in the al-Falah neighborhood, was left charred and smoldering, its high facade riddled with gaping holes from bullets and heavy weaponry.

The interior of the house was destroyed and two adjacent homes were badly damaged.

Some Mosul civilians appeared to have been caught in the crossfire. It was not known how many people were injured, but several were taken to a hospital.

Once the fighting died down, Iraqi police came to help the Americans search the building.

The soldiers removed four bodies and did not let photographers take pictures.

The other two bodies were tentatively identified as that of a bodyguard and a teen-ager, U.S. officials said. The teen may have been a son of Qusai, they said.

Experts conducted DNA tests after the bodies were flown from Mosul to another location, officials said. Sanchez would not answer whether DNA tests were positive for Saddam's sons, saying "we've used multiple, multiple sources to identify the individuals."

Qusai was probably intended as Saddam's successor, according to U.S. intelligence officials. He ran much of Iraq's security apparatus, controlling several militias, internal security services and the military forces of the once-vaunted Republican Guard.

He was described as quiet and level-headed, particularly compared to Odai, his elder brother, who had a reputation for brutality and flamboyance. Odai controlled Saddam's Fedayeen, the paramilitary force that fought U.S. troops during the war; many of its survivors are thought to be part of the guerrilla campaign in Iraq.

Odai also controlled information and propaganda in Saddam's Iraq, and was chairman of the country's Olympic committee.

Saddam has a third, younger son, according to some reports, and three daughters. All kept a low profile in his regime.

Mosul, a city 240 miles northwest of Baghdad that housed Iraqi army bases, is outside the so-called "Sunni Triangle" in central Iraq — home to much of the remaining support for Saddam, a Sunni Muslim who used his Baathist Party to oppress the country's Shiite majority.

The triangle is also a center of anti-American resistance: In the latest attack, Tuesday, a U.S. soldier was killed and another wounded in an ambush along a dangerous road north of Baghdad. His death brought to 153 the number of U.S. troops killed in action since the March 20 start of war, six more than during the 1991 Gulf War (news - web sites).

The U.S. Central Command said the attackers used rocket-propelled grenades and small arms in the assault staged along the road between Balad, 50 miles north of Baghdad, and Ramadi, 60 miles west of the capital.

Twice during the war, information on Saddam's whereabouts was deemed solid enough that an airstrike was sent to kill him. But despite optimistic statements in the hours after each raid, U.S. officials now believe he is alive.

Asked at Tuesday's news conference if he had any idea where is, Sanchez replied: "We remain focused on finding, fixing, killing or capturing all members of the high-value target list."
dustrho

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Saddam's Two Sons Killed in U.S. Raid
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 06:21 PM »
Regardless on where you stand on the entire Iraqi war issue - this is pretty good news.

Offline roguestormtrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 07:04 PM »
Excellent.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 08:45 PM »
Two thumbs up!

What's that Meatloaf song?  Two out of three ain't bad...

Knocking out #2 and #3 on the U.S. hit list was definitely encouraging, especially after all the less than positive post-war news coming out of Iraq.  Now we've just gotta find the head honcho himself...   :-*

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2003, 09:05 PM »
How long does everyone here think it will take to kill Saddam?  I'm thinking they'll get him by the end of the year (at least I hope so).
dustrho

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2003, 11:34 PM »
Not to sound like a cynic, but other than figureheads, I want to know how much guys like Saddam and Osama really matter any more. Other than morale, is capturing them really going to make that much of a difference? I have to wonder how much of an impact capturing Saddam's two sons will have. If anything, I see it making things worse, or at least not helping.

I think the US needs to start concentrating a little more heavily on North Korea. They're the ones with nukes, and they're desperate enough to use them. I think the oppression there is much more serious than anything encountered in the Middle East.

Hmmmmm, guess I do sound like a cynic.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2003, 11:43 PM »
How long does everyone here think it will take to kill Saddam?  I'm thinking they'll get him by the end of the year (at least I hope so).

What about Bin Laden?!  Wasn't he wanted "dead or alive?"  

At any rate, I'm glad they got Saddam's sons.  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2003, 10:34 AM »
Not to sound like a cynic, but other than figureheads, I want to know how much guys like Saddam and Osama really matter any more. Other than morale, is capturing them really going to make that much of a difference? I have to wonder how much of an impact capturing Saddam's two sons will have. If anything, I see it making things worse, or at least not helping.

I think the US needs to start concentrating a little more heavily on North Korea. They're the ones with nukes, and they're desperate enough to use them. I think the oppression there is much more serious than anything encountered in the Middle East.

Hmmmmm, guess I do sound like a cynic.

I think it will have some impact on the Iraqi people. I mean, those two sons were pretty bad mofos, and I'm sure the Iraqi people will be a little less upset about us being there now these guys are dead...well....maybe. But I'm sure they'll feel more confident about their new "gov't" now that there's no chance of the Saddam family getting back into power and punishing the civilians.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2003, 10:39 AM »
I would love to know how Saddam is feeling about all of this.   ;D
dustrho

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2003, 11:20 AM »
I would love to know how Saddam is feeling about all of this.   ;D

We will probably find out in a day or two.  One of two things will happen.  Saddam will either deny there deaths or will accept it and sniper attacks will increase.  On a side note, did anyone look into the background of those two psychos?  Its amazing how many deaths and the forms of death that they carried out.  Nevermind the torture or abuse of young women.  They will definitely not be missed.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2003, 11:29 AM »
I'm glad to see them gone.  Now we just have to get Saddam and Osama.
dustrho

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2003, 02:23 PM »
It is nice to hear of their demises.  I have heard about their past killing and actions.  Yeah, it's good they are off the planet.  How it will impact everything else?  We'll see.  Hopefully Saddam and Bin Laden are next and soon.  

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2003, 02:29 PM »
PLEASE!  Make this thread stop before it gets ugly, like over at that other place!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2003, 03:17 PM »
PLEASE!  Make this thread stop before it gets ugly, like over at that other place!

We're keeping a close eye on this one Nick, so no worries.   8)  Everyone seems to be on the same page on this one so far.  It's just an informative, and "rah, rah, we got 'em!" thread at this point - so I think we're still OK...

But the moment it deviates from that, we'll be on it, I assure you!   ;)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2003, 04:49 PM »
Thank you!  By the way, IM coming your way.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback