Author Topic: Captain America (Movie & Sequels)  (Read 67261 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Captain America (Movie & Sequels)
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2011, 03:27 PM »
I saw it yesterday, and loved it as well.  I thought it was a really well done movie, and a lot of fun too.  I was surprised at how un-Johnny Storm like Chris Evans was too, he made a good Steve Rogers/Cap I thought.  The after-credits scene was goosebump worthy as well.  Plus, as a bonus, we got to see the Amazing Spidey trailer before the movie too.  I know not everyone is as high on that one yet, but the descriptions from the SDCC stuff and everything have me pumped for next summer.  Avengers, Spidey, and Dark Knight Rises all in the summer...plus the Hobbit later in the year.  Anyways, thought Cap was great....my favorite comic movie of the summer (and I've liked them all, at least to some extent).

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2011, 10:57 PM »
It was pretty fun and the Avengers trailer at the end kicks ass.

Oh snap.  I gotta go see this.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 26, 2011, 09:06 PM »
We went last night and saw it in 3D...3D was not my first choice, but it was the "time" we wanted to go.

It was a good fun film that had the same Popcorn appeal as Iron Man.

The "snippet" at the end was definately worth it and I was shocked at the number of people that left during the credits.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2011, 01:24 AM »
I started reading comic books back in 1984 and really got into it when Secret Wars came out.  Captain America was the appointed leader of the heroes and I for some reason fell in love with the guy.  I collected the comics until around the time he quit being Cap...but my love for the character always remained.  I don't consider myself to be ultra-patriotic or anything so the America part of the whole schtick is a little lost on me but the shield and the uniform and the super athlete and especially the being a good and decent human being part of the schtick has always kept him at the top of my list. Yeah he doesn't have super powers and he's not a mutant and he really doesn't even have a catch phrase but he was my super hero.

I finally saw the movie tonight (IN 2D!) and loved every second of it...I've seen the crappy 70's movie and the half hearted other attempts but this was pure awesomeness.  Loved all of the little winks and nods (Zola on the screen at the beginning!) that they threw in there.   Absolutely loved Weaving and his Red Skull.  I cannot wait for next summer and The Avengers as naturally they were my second comic love being such a huge Cap fan and collecting most of their books at the same time.  The trailer was pretty cool but way too short.   It is absolutely awesome they were able to pull this off and next year is the big payoff!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2011, 10:34 AM »
I guess SPOILERS are okay to post, if not - don't read this...

I've never been bonkers over super hero movies, the only one that I've ever really liked was the Batman movie with Jack Nicholson as the Joker.  That one is still by far my favorite, but I did want to go see this... I only get to see about one movie per year now in a theater, and this was the one I chose. 

Really liked it too - they did a good job establishing his character before he was "transformed" into Captain America.  I kind of wish they had shown broader images of some of the battlefields in the war, and had a bit more mentions of the Germans/Nazis in the latter half of the film (I also noticed they seemed to try and conceal the swastikas on the group of three Nazis that Red Skull meets with... which I can understand not wanting to glorify the symbol, but it also took more of the "realism" out of the film that I was hoping for).  But I definitely enjoyed the patriotic theme a lot.  It makes this super hero a lot more enjoyable for me and relevant.

I did feel that Bucky's character was a bit boring, and a bit too convenient for him to be isolated in the Hydra base from the other prisoners... but I very much liked Hydra in this as well as Red Skull.  They also didn't overdo the special effects in this very much at all... the Hydra weapons were of course a little too high tech, but that was fine and I also liked the Stark connection.  At first I was afraid they might overdo that, but they pulled it off very well.  I also didn't understand exactly why he had to crash the plane, if he could do that, why not drive around in circles for a while and come up with a better plan?  Or try and eject?  Guess I missed something there.

Overall, I recommend the movie - pretty damn good and my favorite of the Marvel ones that I've seen.  Not sure I'll enjoy the Avengers movie, or will even see it.  But I did like this, the era it was set in probably has a lot to do with that.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:41 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2011, 09:01 PM »
I started reading comic books back in 1984 and really got into it when Secret Wars came out.  Captain America was the appointed leader of the heroes and I for some reason fell in love with the guy.  I collected the comics until around the time he quit being Cap...but my love for the character always remained.  I don't consider myself to be ultra-patriotic or anything so the America part of the whole schtick is a little lost on me but the shield and the uniform and the super athlete and especially the being a good and decent human being part of the schtick has always kept him at the top of my list. Yeah he doesn't have super powers and he's not a mutant and he really doesn't even have a catch phrase but he was my super hero.

I finally saw the movie tonight (IN 2D!) and loved every second of it...I've seen the crappy 70's movie and the half hearted other attempts but this was pure awesomeness.  Loved all of the little winks and nods (Zola on the screen at the beginning!) that they threw in there.   Absolutely loved Weaving and his Red Skull.  I cannot wait for next summer and The Avengers as naturally they were my second comic love being such a huge Cap fan and collecting most of their books at the same time.  The trailer was pretty cool but way too short.   It is absolutely awesome they were able to pull this off and next year is the big payoff!

I was looking forward to hearing what our resident Cap fan thought of the movie, glad to hear you liked it!  I've been able to get out to all four comic movies this summer, and I think this might have been my favorite of the bunch (although First Class and Thor were both really good too, and GL had its moments).  I thought Cap ranked right up there among Marvel's best as well - maybe just below the first Iron Man.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 28, 2011, 05:14 PM »
I saw the movie the other night.  First and foremost, I was impressed by how Chris Evans portrayed Steve Rogers.  He really captured his decency and selflessness without making it hokey.  And even in the parts where his role as Captain America is deliberately hokey, he manages to stay genuine about what he's doing.  And his scenes with Stanley Tucci show him holding his own pretty well as an actor.

Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull?  Awesome.  He really nailed it.  Although the whole concept of Red Skull and Cap being the flipside of each other as products of the super soldier serum seemed a little odd.

Some of the action scene montages in the third act seemed a bit rushed.  At least that's how I took them.  But the fight sequences where Cap has the full combat gear and shield were pretty awesome.

The Howard Stark scenes are pretty good.  It was nice to get some more backstory on Howard after we had gotten in Iron Man 2.  You begin to understand his role as a founding member of S.H.I.E.L.D. and he completely comes across as a Howard Hughes figure.  Although his later recovery of "the gadget" does come across as a but convenient.  And is "the gadget" what gives Howard the inspiration for the new element/power source in Iron Man 2?    It definitely sounds like fodder for the Avengers movie.

And with that, I liked the Avengers teaser.  But it was just cut SO fast that it was tough to really take it in and appreciate it all.  But it achieved it's goal:  It definitely left me wanting more.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #157 on: July 28, 2011, 11:58 PM »
We just got back from seeing it and loved it!  Awesome movie!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 2, 2011, 09:37 PM »
Finally got around to seeing Captain America today. Good stuff, though I wish we got to see more of Red Skull fighting. He was probably the best part. Loved the teaser trailer afterwards too.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 6, 2011, 12:07 AM »
Finally saw this.  My only gripe was that it's only showing in 3D now and I don't think for movies I'll ever like that format or find it necessary. 

But the movie itself - wow, it was very well done.  I think I enjoyed this more than any of the other superhero movies of the recent bunch.  It was just an enjoyable movie.   :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 6, 2011, 04:58 AM »
The training parts were awesome, the get the flag and the grenade were great.
I'm rating it up there with ironman in terms of top marvel flicks, better than thor and ironman2, the avengers clip was all sorts of awesome too
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #161 on: August 6, 2011, 08:59 AM »
Yeah.  This was a good flick.  My sons, 5 and 7 even liked it, an it was not too violent for them.

However, as a movie, it doesn't hold a candle to Rise of the Planet of the Apes.  That was pure genius.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 6, 2011, 05:26 PM »
So, I apologize if this is too early to discuss, but what does everyone who's seen this think about the possibility of us getting Winter Soldier at some point?

Has there been any discussions of a sequel to Captain America (like they're doing with a sequel to Thor) set in modern day?

I could see them having the sequel centered around Captain America facing off against Winter Soldier - that would be cool.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #163 on: August 6, 2011, 08:28 PM »
There is indeed a plan for a modern-day, post-Avengers sequel.  No revelations so far about the plot.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 8, 2011, 08:59 AM »
I also didn't understand exactly why he had to crash the plane, if he could do that, why not drive around in circles for a while and come up with a better plan?  Or try and eject?  Guess I missed something there.

I don't understand how he got from the French Alps to the Arctic if he was heading for New York.
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"