Author Topic: Captain America (Movie & Sequels)  (Read 67251 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Captain America (Movie & Sequels)
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2010, 05:58 PM »
Heck, it's been a while since I saw the first Spider-Man, but even that was pretty close to his origin wasn't it?

Except for the organic web spinners (which sucked, IMO), a life-long crush on Mary Jane, tiny hooks on his fingers... probably some other things, too.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2010, 06:25 PM »
Heck, it's been a while since I saw the first Spider-Man, but even that was pretty close to his origin wasn't it?

Except for the organic web spinners (which sucked, IMO), a life-long crush on Mary Jane, tiny hooks on his fingers... probably some other things, too.

Okay, not spot on, but not completely re-written either.  I would have liked parker-built-web-shooters too, but I thought the tiny hooks for climbing was a good idea.  It's not like a real spider has some kind of anti-gravity power.  The Mary Jane thing was fine for me too...again, there's only so much they can tell in one movie. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2010, 01:05 AM »
...again, there's only so much they can tell in one movie. 

Tell that to the chuckleheads that wrote Spider-Man 3.

I would have liked Parker to have to build his web shooters, but other than that, I was happy with everything else they put into the first film as far as his origin goes.

I've never followed Iron Man or Captain America at all, really.  So I can't really speak to them, but I liked how they brought Iron Man's origin story to the screen.  If Cap can approach what was done with SM and IM (and the new Batman for that matter), I'll be pretty happy with the film.

Honestly, I don't get the wings on the helmet anyway.  Unless there's some explanation for them from the comic, it seems like a rather trivial thing.  Then again, I mostly liked the leather outfits from the X-Men films instead of the spandex.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2010, 10:26 AM »
Yeah, as far as Spidey goes - the web shooters were really the only big thing for me, as far as the origins went.  I guess the organic ones didn't bother me all that much when I actually saw the movies anyways, but it would have been cool to see it the original way.  Other than that, I thought everything (costume, power set, etc.) was about perfect....well, except for the quipping/smart ass remarks.  I'd like to see more of that in the Spidey reboot.  Spidey is often "funny" in the comics I think (and sort of known for that), and we didn't really get that in the movies.

Anyways, back on the topic here, I hope we hear/see some more about Cap this weekend.  I think it is very possible with both Cap (Chris Evans), Red Skull (Weaving), and director Joe Johnston there.  Should be a fun weekend.  I doubt we'll see footage, since they either just started filming or haven't quite started yet - but maybe some pics or something.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2010, 11:50 AM »
I'm still waiting for a comic book movie that's 100% faithful to the source material.

I'd be up for something faithful as well but we have to realize that most of the origins of the characters we were/are into happened back in the 1960s, a comparitively innocent time.  Many of the ideas that were interesting and exciting to readers in that era would be downright ho-hum to this generation of instant gratification/don't-make-me-think generation it just won't fly and Hollywood recognizes and encourages that. 

I think the Cap art Scott posted looks great and pretty close to the original wings notwithstanding.  The question that comes to my mind is whether that's a mask or a helmet?  I assume the latter given the chin strap but I'd always thought of it as a form fitting mask.  Perhaps I'm forgetting my origins for Cap. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2010, 12:37 PM »
In the movie it's a helmet... supposed to be functional for battle.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2010, 02:26 PM »
It was a face mask/cowl in the comics, but the movie version appears to be a helmet.  That's anupgrade I'm fine with - makes more sense to make it functional.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2010, 11:36 AM »

Organic spinners were ok with me.  Accepting a radioactive spider mutation is one thing, but even as a kid i had a hard time accepting that parker could enginer and build highly complex machinery and invent a precise chemical textile process in his bedroom.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2010, 11:51 AM »
In a universe where Reed Richards and Tony Stark can create all sorts of unreal equipment, I think it's entirely plausible that science genius Peter Parker can create some web spinners.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2010, 05:17 PM »
Didn't he make them after hours in a chemsitry class?  I didn't read a lot of the early spidey comics, but seems like they portrayed him in the lab quite a bit.  I think he even helped Doc Connor with his research going after class to be his lab assistant.  He's often utilized as a science/tech guru in the comics, so I do like the artifical web shooter concept for the fit with the books.  That said, if he has all the other powers of a spider, it would make sense that he can shoot webs too.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2010, 05:55 PM »
That said, if he has all the other powers of a spider, it would make sense that he can shoot webs too.

Yeah... out of his ass.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2010, 06:34 PM »
That said, if he has all the other powers of a spider, it would make sense that he can shoot webs too.

Yeah... out of his ass.

Well, he didn't grow extra sets of limbs either - it doesn't have to match perfectly.   ;)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2010, 08:14 PM »
In a universe where Reed Richards (a genius scientist with unlimited technology at his disposal) and Tony Stark (a multi-millionaire with unlimited technology at his disposal) can create all sorts of unreal equipment, I think it's entirely plausible that science genius Peter Parker  (a teenager living with his elderly aunt and uncle and scheming for ways to make a few bucks to buy a used car) can create some web spinners.

not saying I didn't accept it....just in the scheme of things, spinners make a little more sense.  Although I used to love it in Web of Spiderman books when Peter would conceal his shooters in his camera gear when traveling.  That was brilliant.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2010, 10:40 PM »
In a way, it makes more sense that the spinners are biological...Let's say Peter Parker comes up with web technology in a lab...why doesn't he just patent the stuff and become rich like Tony Stark, and then fight crime...instead he is broke and lives in Queens.  And Queens sucks.  I lived there for 13 months....
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2010, 11:53 PM »
I gotta think the web fluid wouldn't pass security as well.  If I can't get through with 8oz of water, I don't see how he's going to get catridges of web fluid through security.  The disguising his shooters as camera parts seems a little goofy to me as well.  If you have a complicated piece of non standard tech going onto a plan, I think it's going to get checked out.